Anyone recently been along the Balcanoona-Mt. Hopeless road?

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 13:57
ThreadID: 139042 Views:4837 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip in the next few weeks, and as part of it we're thinking of staying at Arkaroola then heading to Innamincka.
We'd be interested to hear the state of the Mt. Hopeless road from any recent travellers.
I think the northern end of it where it meets the Strzelecki Track can be a bit tricky after rain.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 14:18

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 14:18
Hi Marmite, SA Outback Roads website has these roads open to all vehicles with some warnings about corrugations etc. We'll be going in the reverse direction to you later this month so may see you on the track.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627618

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 14:59

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 14:59
We drove it last September which doesn't help alot with it's current state.....the first part from Arkaroola turn off started out very stoney and rough and I wasn't looking forward to the drive if it stayed that way. I think it was about 20klms on the road got much better, it becomes a good easy going track a touch further on again. We didn't leave Arkaroola until after 9.00 a.m from memory, had lunch under some trees we eventually found off the side of the road in the middle of nowhere (headed in about 50 metres off the main track), then camped the night at Montecollina Bore, arriving there pretty early in the afternoon (was before 3.00 p.m from my rough memory).
AnswerID: 627619

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 16:08

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 16:08
Here's me on top of Mount Hopeless pretending to be Eyre pointing to where I cannot go!!!!

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627620

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 16:32

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 16:32
We have done Yunta to Mt Hopeless a couple times in the last year. Generally the road is good but there is a section just north of Balcanoona around Wooltana that is pretty ordinary, Pot holes and corrugations but it's doesn't last long. Be wary of the creek crossings as they can be a bit rough to
AnswerID: 627621

Sponsored Links