New Guy

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 05:53
ThreadID: 139040 Views:5312 Replies:2 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all just joined the forum and look forward to tapping the wealth of knowledge. I am retired from the Army after 40 years service, I love 4x4 driving and HF/Military radios. I have several types of HF and VHF Clansman and Racal radios. I also have several 27mhz CB radios that I use when conditions are right, which have been good lately, I also have a couple of Wagner HF radios, 1 model, 1829 Marine and the other is a model 1729 which is set up for RFDS and the VKS737 net. I am currently studing for my Standard HAM Licence and enjoy all types of comm's. I have a Triton 2.8lt Turbo Intercooled which I have owned since new. I recently bought from good old ebay a NETSET TRC-850 which is a Pearce Simpson UF2020 and I desperately need a manual for it, as it is a complicated radio. Realistic copied it as the TRC-850. I have search all these models and can not find a manual anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 11:06

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 11:06
David, welcome to the forum. As always, your search for a manual has been discussed on here previously - here is the link to the archived discussion, I trust it helps you out.

Netset TRC-850 manual search

40 years in the Green Machine certainly makes you a "lifer"! LOL
I'm guessing you were in Sigs? Thanks for your dedicated service to the countrys defence.
I'm a Vietnam Veteran, a Nasho, and I served as an engineer NCO in 17 Construction Sqdn.
Our ranks are thinning now as every Anzac Day passes, and the WW2 Vets are down to a very few, greatly aged men and women - so make sure you keep up the marches, and the Anzac tradition.

Here's a link to a few photos, one of my compatriots (Ivan "Bluey" Ballard) posted to the AWM, showing images of our time in SVN.

Ivan Royce Ballard photo collection

I even found a film clip of us at work on Route 2 in Phuoc Tuy Province - but they shot the film when I'd been shifted to a job elsewhere, and I never got to be a film star! LOL

AWM - Road makers in Vietnam - 17 Construction Sqdn

I did a lot of that rebuild work on Route 2, widening it and sealing it to a highway standard. The French had built up Route 2 previously, in the early 1950's.
The worst part was the VC and NVA setting bombs and booby traps for us daily.
I was also in the Land Clearing Team, clearing the jungle to deny the enemy hiding places, and cover for tunnels and bunkers.
That destroyed MkV ACCO tipper (F5 6x6) in one of Ivan's photos, was driven by a bloke by the name of Peter Bates.

It is the exact truck I rode in, every day, for around 3 weeks, as passenger to Peter, who gave me a lift every morning from Nui Dat, to the job site on Route 2

The VC slipped out of the rubber plantation, and set up a 4kg satchel charge in the road, during the late afternoon - and Peter ran over the mine with the passenger side front wheel. We were based at NDB Garth, the day that happened.
They never found any part of the seat I used to sit in, on a daily basis! They found Peters SLR rifle over 200 metres away.

Peter was protected to a degree from the blast by the engine and gearbox, but the blast still blew the engine and gearboxes right out of their mountings, and punched huge holes in both.
Peter was medevaced back to Australia with serious injuries, but he survived.
I have never seen Peter since, he lives on the East Coast somewhere, and I live on the West.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627616

Follow Up By: David G37 - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 15:36

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 15:36
Hi Ron, just missed Vietnam, I enlisted in 1974, retired 2014. However I did serve in Somalia, Rhwanda, East Timor, Iraq, Afghanistan and a few other un-named places. I was Infantry and posted to 1 RAR in Townsville where I think from memory you guys were posted just down the road from us at 3FER, if my memory serves me correctly. I had a neighbour Pat Burgess who was 3FER, we both lived in Beattie Cresent married quarters area. In 1978 I successfully attended the SASR Cadre course, then May 1979, after I returned back from Hawaii on exercise Pacific Bond, I was posted over to the west. During my service I was deployed in many places, including 2 postings back to the Infantry Center, exchange duty in the UK, USA and Germany and then multiple deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan. I served with guys from IRR quite regularly while on Middle East operations. I love retirement and look forward too more traveling, except this time it will be at our pace.
Myself and 5 other lads that I served with are going on our annual Gulf trip in early December and then the Simpson Desert in June next year. I was married for 22 years and am divorced. I have 4 sons and one daughter and sadly my second eldest son TY, passed away in 2013 from cancer while I was in Afghanistan. My main hobby is Ham radios and flying UAV First Person view RC aircraft and Drones. I no longer hunt, after 35 years of bowhunting and I have never had a interest in owning or obtaining a licence for a firearm, used enough in my time so no need for one.
Many thanks for the link for the NETSET Manual I will chase it up.
FollowupID: 901724

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 18:14

Sunday, Sep 08, 2019 at 18:14
Welcome David

I very good friend of mine is ex SAS and I know he toured many of the places you mentioned above, as well as full security when the Sydney Olympic Games were on and the Gulf Wars.

Welcome Again

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901726

Follow Up By: David G37 - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 06:23

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 06:23
Hi Stephen, many thanks for the welcome. Looking forward too picking the brains from you guys. I am a member of several radio forums and as I stated previously, I have a thing for old military radios. I just picked up two British made Racal TR906 military manpack radios. After some research and opening them up for a clean, I found the ones I bought were ex Ronnie Raaf. I was reading through a old Defence Report from 1981 the other week and in it they talked about including the Racal TR906 radio in the 1982 Budget for the RAAF. These radios only went from 2-7Mhz and are crystal controlled. I was surprised by this, because back then we used the good old 77 sets and the F1, except for Sigs who used several other HF radios. The racal's were mainly used for ground to air operations plus Raaf police used them. There is a guy on youtube called MrBuckroonie that I watch from time to time and he is a avid 4WD, he is ex Sigs and was posted to Lavarack Barracks where he retired from. He has some great video's out on 4WD's and some are worthwhile watching.
Regards
Dave
FollowupID: 901736

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 17:33

Monday, Sep 09, 2019 at 17:33
Well done you fellas, some very special service given to the nation. Thank You. Bob
FollowupID: 901763

Follow Up By: David G37 - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2019 at 07:05

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2019 at 07:05
Hi All, I need some advice. I have read just about everything there is to read on the Barrett and Codan HF radio's for use on the VKS737 network and frankly its giving me a headache. I have read many reviews on both makers on various models and I its hard to choose between different makers and models. I know from reading this forum there is a wealth of hands on experience on both these radios, so my question is this.
Which is the best brand and model for the use I want them for. I want one that is simple to use, that I can get weather updates on when out of mobile range and these units will be used on our upcoming Cape trip and Simpson Desert trip next June. . I believe I do not need, nor will use SELCAL, so that is a option I can live without, so with that being said, can I get some suggestions from the Barrett and Codan users on the forum so I can make a informed decision. I don't want to spend huge sums of money on a radio that I might use every 2 or 3 years, but I still want to keep our safety on these trips in mind. I don't want to start a brand war here, that is not my intention and it would be great the hear from people who actually use these radios and have over many years. Like I said I have read all the tech info and warranty stuff on these radios, so I just need help from actual users. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
FollowupID: 901777

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2019 at 08:06

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2019 at 08:06
Hi Dave

I've owned both Barret and Codan. My current radio is the Codan NGT which I've bought new around 10 years ago (from memory) and I have it coupled with the 3040 auto-tune antenna.

The Codan NGT is easy to use, has a remote handset and ours has given 10 plus years of trouble free use. Like you, we mostly use for weather reports, news and listen in to VKS737 when we are remote.

I don't think you could go wrong with either brand and I think it would come down to finding a second hand unit of either that represents value for money.

Following is a link to a Brisbane based company that sell refurbished units and I have used them in the past to purchase a whip antenna for my Codan. They always seem to have second hand units on offer.

HF Units - Refurbished.

Could luck and enjoy your travels.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 901778

Follow Up By: David G37 - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 08:56

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 08:56
Hi Baz and many thanks for the link. The one's that would suit my purposes on this website are for international sales only. No problem it has given me a start point and a secondhand NGT looks like the winner.
I have noticed a few come up from time too time on ebay and reasonable prices, but other older models look very used and knocked about and that has thrown me off the scent. I have a couple of months to track a good NGT down and by then I will have hopefully passed my Standard HF Licence. 10 years use by you is a pretty good review in my books, but just one question, have you had any warranty claims on it or any major drama"s with it during that period?
It does have a few features I probably won't use and the size and remote handset is a winner for me and a few of my mates who are also chasing a good HF. They are just waiting to see what I come up with, it's a bit like follow the leader with those lads, but if something goes wrong they have someone to blame, all in good fun. Once again thanks for the advise.
Cheers
Dave
FollowupID: 901802

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:23

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:23
Hi Dave

I have the same setup as Baz (Codan NGT with 3040 auto tune) and have had it for about the same time. I've never had a warranty claim however, I have had one fault that stopped the unit "working".

I couldn't get a tune and feared the worst. My radio guy at Allcom in Perth was immediately onto it and went straight to the aerial cable. "These things are bombproof - it won't be the radio!" He said. A New cable (tested before removing the old one) solved the problem. So I reckon that one cable in 11 years is pretty good.

My unit has survived the corrogations on most of the big tracks and crossings. Good mounting, sensible driving and general treatment of your vehicle will see it last.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 901807

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:46

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:46
I must be old school.....

Still have my original HF radio, made right here in South Australia.

It’s a Codan 8525 with tap Antenna.

It has made may radcalls over the years, but the demise of daily check ins with the RFDS made this feature useless.

I was originally with the VKS Network when it was only open to members of South Australian four wheel drive club, and then it got bigger, went National and the rest is History.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901808

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 16:35

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2019 at 16:35
Hi Dave

No problem...Sounds like some great trips coming up, so enjoy. Are you going to ‘Pandanus Park’ on your cape trip?

On warranty issues, never any problem with the Codan, the only thing I have done is replaced the Whip antenna due to a breakage.

I came across the HF radio guy in Brisbane when I replaced it. I did notice he has units that seemingly are for sale outside Australia, but give him a call as I’ve seen him selling units previously.

FollowupID: 901821

Follow Up By: David G37 - Saturday, Sep 14, 2019 at 08:23

Saturday, Sep 14, 2019 at 08:23
Many thanks for all the replies and advice. I am sold on the NGT and I have passed your advice onto a couple of the other lads who have been waiting to see what I buy. Might be a race on for secondhand NGT's.
Yes we will be going to Pandanus Park on return then we are heading out west from Townsville too catch up with a old mate at Charters Towers and do a bit of gold fossicking for a few days, then heading to Hughenden, then south through Blackall, Tambo, Charleville to another mates place then back home.
Once again many thanks for all the tips.
Regards
Dave
FollowupID: 901842

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:57

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:57
We have a Codan NGT & antenna as above for sale too. Ours has all the bells n whistles, GPS, autotune etc. I better put up a Classifieds listing asap seeing they are in demand.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901919

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:55

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:55
David

I noticed these two HF Radio's for sale in the ExplorOz classifieds, just in case you haven't seen them.

ExplorOz Classifieds

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 627745

Follow Up By: David G37 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:25

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:25
Hi Landy, many thanks for the links. I just bought a NGT, but without autotune antenna, I should have waited for this one or at least checked the classifies here first. I have a mate that's chasing one as well, so I'll let him know. Once again many thanks.
Cheers
Dave
FollowupID: 901917

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:55

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:55
We also have a Codan NGT autotune with 3050 antenna with GPS for sale. Better put up a Classifieds ad listing asap since they seem to be in demand. Very keen to sell ours.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 901918

Follow Up By: David G37 - Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 12:40

Wednesday, Sep 18, 2019 at 12:40
Many thanks Michelle, I'll let my mate know to have a look at it. Wish I had asked here if any were for sale before I bought the one I now have. Will know for next time.
Regards
Dave
FollowupID: 901921

Sponsored Links