Driving in snow and ice can sure get the adrenaline rageing!

Submitted: Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 16:21
ThreadID: 138949 Views:4309 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A trip into Barrington Tops Forest roads in the old Landy ute last weekend made for some interesting driving!

It was the best snow fall for a long time ,not so much in depth but there was a lot of ice underneath the day we went up there.

You forget what its like,and what driving technique is the best, especially on a down hill run For its age.the old landrover was brilliant going uphill as long as the CDL was in ,Down hill ...either drive thru the brakes ,in the right gear, say a few hail Marys, and get ready to bail out quick...lol,

The two wheel drive Triton with its wider rims and tyres might have handled it but may have ended up in trouble also.

The minister for finance started thinking, The Aurion goes, the triton goes and a prado would suit her.....Hmm Wives!!!.

And of course I get to keep the landrover!..

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 17:37

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 17:37
There's a video on the ABC of the snow in Southern Victoria. Never seen anything like it before, only on Kosciusko.

I hope you put anti-freeze in your cooling system! I see where Thredbo recorded -22C!

Snow in Southern Victoria

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 627304

Follow Up By: axle - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 19:28

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 19:28
G/Day Ron, -22 That's a bit cold lol, The whole back of the ute was full of snow and ice on Sunday morning ,after a fair dump through the night.

I checked the water first thing .all was ok, but the old girl was slow to fire up

as you would expect from a 30yr old motor design .lol.

there was a old RA rodeo with the 3.0L Suzy on the farm where we stayed, it was cranky to get going as well so it made me feel good...)

There's no doubt about it the modern common rails are good under all circumstances when it comes to starting up.

Cheers Axle.

FollowupID: 901285

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 10:10

Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 10:10
I was up there on the Sunday. My ABS didn't like the road surface at all, chattering away doing its anti-lock bit and not doing any actual braking.

Coming down a icy incline with some clown in a Patrol doing a pretty good impression of a trailer was a bit irritating. So many impatient clowns it wasn't funny.
AnswerID: 627316

Follow Up By: axle - Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 11:48

Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 11:48
Its always a problem up there in that regard mate, they need a few boys in Blue to control things a bit, Probably to cold for them!..lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 901302

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 14:00

Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 14:00
They were prowling the road out to Moonan Flat, but I don't think their camry or stinger would have done too well up the hill.

The poor ranger was tearing his hair out.
FollowupID: 901304

Sponsored Links