phone

Submitted: Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:09
ThreadID: 138944 Views:5987 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
just had wikicamps put on my phone,it shows camp spots ,locations,but no streets or roads,was put on by a friend at home through the nbn ,it shoud have been done directly through wi-fi,what do i do how do i get rid of it ,or what to do,i think it would be useless out on the highway, thanks for future answers barry
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gerard S - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:27

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:27
If you only down loaded just the app, there is one more step needed to make it usable when offline or out of phone reception. Go into the apps setting and download the full Australia map or the individual states you wish to travel. It's a good app...but does need some patience to set up the filters and features you want.
AnswerID: 627293

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:06

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:06
I might be wrong but I thought when you did the download for each state that it was only comments and photos that were downloaded.

I have been using it since 2015 when we toured the eastern states and mainly did my planning the night before so was using it online.

Our trip in 2015 worked out cheaper that a similar one we did in 2006 and I put the savings down to finding cheaper places to stay.
FollowupID: 901281

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:36

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:36
Hi Barry

With the latest update to WikiCamps, once you have done the update, you then have to go in and download all the maps, again it is free but will take some time.

Once they are installed, they are all there and when you want to find a place, all roads and streets are there. The more you zoom in, the more detailed the map becomes. This is one app that once you have used it, you will never go away from.

WikiCamps is a very good tool to use and you will find that people that are travelling on the road, this is their. No 1 tool for choosing a camp, weather it be free camp or caravan park, or point of interest.

It is the trusted no 1 tool worldwide, and you get to see people’s thoughts and views of the thousands of places to visit around Australia.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627294

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 21:33

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 21:33
I agree Stephen, It's our bible when we are away, Comments, pics, and prices that mostly determines if you drive in or drive past. I always do a quick update of the states to get the latest information before a trip. For $7.00 its a bargain. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 901293

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:36

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:36
In the scheme of phone apps it's not difficult to use if you are a regular smart phone user. All the content can be downloaded for offline use. Not sure why you can't see roads you do have to choose which mapping app to use with Wikicamps, most people would choose Google Maps when connected to the internet. For help, take a look at Wikicamps help, extract copied below:

How do I download user content for offline use?
Open the home menu by tapping the orange menu button in the top right corner of the screen, then select 'Site Content' from the Offline Content box. Turn on the states you want content for then tap the sync button. Site content downloads user reviews, prices, and photo thumbnails.

How do I download the offline map?
Open the home menu by tapping the orange menu button in the top right corner of the screen, then select 'Offline Maps' from the Offline Content box. Touch the download button on the state you want to download. Once it is done you can switch to offline maps by tapping the map layers button in the top right corner of the map, then select the Offline Map layer.
Cheers
Warren
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627295

Follow Up By: Spark Plug - Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 13:24

Saturday, Aug 17, 2019 at 13:24
Thanks for the explanation. I had it going out bush recently and was annoyed to see no roads were marked and wondered why. It's a good app, but like most of them, makes no sense to some of us!
FollowupID: 901303

Sponsored Links