What's gone wrong at HEMA Maps?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:16
ThreadID: 138940 Views:4614 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone made the mistake of "upgrading" to Edition 12 of the HEMA hard copy map book Australia Road and 4WD Atlas?
We are long time users of HEMA hard copy maps to supplement on-line options, and up until now have been very satisfied, but the change from from Edition 11 has been a major disappointment.
The maps are more difficult to read, the page breaks are confusing, but most importantly a number of sites are missing. Just a few examples from our recent travels: why are Lark Quarry, Porcupine Gorge, Leichhardt Falls, Clem Walton reserve no longer shown - surely they are relevant inclusions in any decent map resource for travellers.
It seems to do better in coastal areas.....maybe this edition has been edited by someone who doesn't actually travel inland.
In short, a very disappointing purchase after many years of successfully using previous editions - and now we have to keep Edition 11 on hand for comparison!!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:28

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:28
Hi Wildmax, have you contacted Hema with the same information? Seems to me that this would be a more appropriate avenue to find the answers you are looking for.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627273

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:55

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:55
Yes Macca, I have contacted HEMA direct via their websitse.
Just posted here because curious as to whether others have had the same reaction to the latest edition of their map book - seems to be on display widely around the country in various camping and 4WD stores.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 901255

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:58

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 14:58
Thanks Wildmax

I guess I'll keep the 11th edition going for a while after all. Quite like it, even though it is a pretty large format. We find it easy to read, and our only gripe is that anything we need to check carefully is ALWAYS on the spine!!

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 627275

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 20:22

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 20:22
We have also gone back to edition 11. More recently towns on Victoria's silo art trail are not in edition 12.
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

AnswerID: 627279

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 07:16

Friday, Aug 16, 2019 at 07:16
Out of interest, I was doing a stint as a Volunteer at Milparinka last year when somebody came in to the Visitor Centre with the latest (at the time) version of the Hema Maps book.

Milparinka had disappeared from the map in this latest version.

It would appear this occurred when the pub advised Hema that it no longer had fuel available so when Hema removed the fuel sign from Milparinka it appeared to have removed the township as well.

Perhaps this is what has happened (again).

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 627284

Follow Up By: Peter M111 - Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:58

Wednesday, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:58
This confused me two weeks ago and I had to look on an old sheet map. Milparinka is an important place, I don’t understand how it was left off.
FollowupID: 901453

Reply By: Dave B18 - Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:51

Sunday, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:51
Sadly think it is the incompetence that has crept in and is pervasive in Australia today. Complete lack and care and attention to detail. Thankfully was warned prior to buying edition 12 was a backgrade not an upgrade.
Camps Australia Wide 10 also has too many mistakes in the book and the CAW App is atrocious.
AnswerID: 627332

Sponsored Links