Fishing at Innaminka.

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 15:11
ThreadID: 138926 Views:6023 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello forumites.
We are looking at starting to learn fishing! I never thought tat I'd be saying that.
Our situation has changed in the last year & we might want to stay in one area for a few days instead of moving on to get to our destination in time for work holiday time tables.
Thinking of the Cooper Creek at Innaminka? Yellowbelly?
We wouldn't know the diference between Yellowbelly or Carp.
We'd hate to catch a carp & eat it!
I've sent an email to the Bulloo shire for permits all & a fishing guide but they tell the address can't be found.
Can any one with any knowledge of fishing that area be any help to me.
Please remember, as yet, I don't think I could kill a fish with out hitting it on the head! I'm not keen on slitting it's throat yet.
Thanking you for your help.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 18:08

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 18:08
Tons of fishing info here in the Articles section of ExplorOz, see this one for starters....Inland Fishing
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 627231

Reply By: BobR4 - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 21:37

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2019 at 21:37
Think of Cullyamurra Waterhole as a great camping site. A few kms upstream from Innaminka. Yellowbelly (As you'll be in SA, start calling them Callop) are readily available as are grunter and catfish. All are great eating for freshwater fish. Yabbies are plentiful too, but beware of using opera house traps as the tortoises wreck them when they go after the bait.
Freshwater shrimps are readily caught as bait for callop and grunter, but probably easier if you take some frozen prawn for bait.
Worth doing a little homework for the Waterhole. Spent 16 days there a few years ago and want to go back.
It's all a part of a national park so permits will be needed.
Don't forget to visit Burke's grave and the Dig Tree. You'll be so close to them.
AnswerID: 627237

Follow Up By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2019 at 18:35

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2019 at 18:35
Yep probably the best spot in the area but don`t leave anything lying around camp, anything means anything a dingo can carry away. A bloke had one of his expensive new hiking boots pinched from along side his swag when I was there, dingoes are very clever thieves , day or night.

Enjoy your trip,

Scrubby.
FollowupID: 901231

Follow Up By: BobR4 - Wednesday, Aug 14, 2019 at 21:34

Wednesday, Aug 14, 2019 at 21:34
Geez, I'd forgotten about the dingoes.
Yes, they come in every night. Their footprints were all around the camp every morning and one did steal an opera house yabby net because I removed it from the water at night so it didn't drown any tortoises, forgetting the dingoes. They fell for the bait which was left in the net??
Game buggers.
FollowupID: 901238

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:57

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:57
A big thank you to those of you who answered my query.
We used to live on cattle stations in the N.T.
We know dingoes for what they are, but I never gave them a thought.
Much appreciated.
Take care, safe travels.
Ma.
FollowupID: 901242

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 13:43

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 13:43
Yes, I love Yabbys cooked & covered in sauce but I can't trow them into boiling water. I'd have to bang them on the head first too! I was told that they're good as bait. For ? Yellow Bell"?
We will return to the Dig tree thanks.
I don't think you can get into Depot Glen can you? It's on private land.
FollowupID: 901252

Follow Up By: BobR4 - Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 18:11

Thursday, Aug 15, 2019 at 18:11
I'm fairly sure you can access Depot Glen. Milparinka is well worth the visit any way. Depot Glen is just a few kms out from town.
FollowupID: 901257

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 08:07

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 08:07
My fondest memory is my eldest son having a go at fishing out of my canoe at the town common area, he thought he was snagged, then pulled up his first ever yellow belly.
AnswerID: 627360

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 16:50

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2019 at 16:50
I'm glad you got some pleasant memories.
Is there any regulations governing catching these fish.
I have sent emails to rellevant authorities & I've googled for fish charts & rules but I've had no replys & they say there is no charts.
I'm sure I've seen them around fishing town tourist shops. I mannaged to find out that you don't need a liscence in S.A.
FollowupID: 901336

Sponsored Links