Denham to Karijini NP

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 18:35
ThreadID: 138510 Views:4016 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I am planning to go to Karijini and onto the Northern Highway.
Its a fairly long distance and apart from the Roadhouse at Nanutarra, no other place has fuel. Except for around the NP.

If anyone has been that way, could you recommend an itinerary?

Thanks

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 19:16

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 19:16
Hello

Your post is a little confusing as it is unclear for which section of the trip (Denham to Karijini, Karijini to Nanutarra, Nanutarra to ?) you require an "itinerary". There is fuel at Auski near Karijini and then its only ~450 or so km to Nanutarra (with Tom Price and Paraburdoo in between depending which way you go). Then where are you going?

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 626149

Reply By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 20:31

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 20:31
On basis your leaving Denham (shark bay) fill up here expect to be slugged a premium price then:

Carnarvon fill up a few options in town woolworth & Caltex BP Puma etc

Some are card only ie hi flow diesel only for trucks - been problems with the Caltex unmanned at main T junction intersection recently so beaware

Minilya if you concerned about fuel range - this is only 160 odd kms north of Carnarvon

Nannutarra - expect to pay a premium

Turn right towards paraburdoo - well sign posted just after Nanuturra think it has Karajini NP listed as primary and paraburdoo as secondary destination ?

Then option is turn right towards paraburdoo and take the sealed road around to Tom price or keep straight on with gravel.

The gravel can be rough at times so unless your confident at gravel at reasonable speeds suggest stick to bitumen

Both parabudoo and tom price have fuel bit of a difference between prices though when i glanced at fuel map last week

THEN depending what your plans are after karajini when you get to GT northern Hwy Auski is 40 odd kms north (left at Hwy) or Newman 150 odd kms south (right turn)

If you have a newer phone (smart phone or tablet) get fuel map australia program - a offshoot to wikicamps this gives generally reliable prices and locations - if prices wouted haven't been updated for 10+ days I'd treat prices with caution
AnswerID: 626152

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:28

Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:28
Thanks for taking the time to give me that information.

It is much appreciated.

cheers

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899866

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 22:04
My bad. I am leaving Denham.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I will follow on the map to make everything clear in my mind.

I want to go to Karijini too so maybe that makes a difference.

Thanks

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626154

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 23:20

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2019 at 23:20
Bill

You will have no problems with fuel/food/accomodation (not all have accomodation though) on your intended route.

No fuel in the National Park, but you will easily make Paraburdoo -Karajini - Auski with more than enough fuel for a good few days looking around in the National Park.

Services at the following...

Denham
Overlander Roadhouse
Wooramel
Carnarvon (in town or on highway)
Barradale Roadhouse
Manilya Roadhouse
Nanutarra
Paraburdoo
Tom Price
Auski

Came back through on Friday and all is good on that route.

Lots of good Free Camp areas if you need accomodation - ExplorOz Traveller has all the details. Good access and some with toilets fire pits etc.

When you hit the Great Northern highway fuel/services also readily available in either direction.

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 899852

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:27

Thursday, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:27
Thanks Anthony. Good information.

Much appreciated.

cheers

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899865

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:59

Friday, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:59
Fuel cost in Denham is high, get it at the Wooramel RH much cheaper and they used to give a discount to 4wders.

cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899888

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jun 14, 2019 at 15:54

Friday, Jun 14, 2019 at 15:54
Bill had you considered heading inland via Kennedy Range and Mt Augustus and then north from there to Tom Price? The gravel roads through this part are usually in good to excellent condition and by far better scenery (& less traffic). Fuel is available in a number of places along the way. If towing the route is also c/van friendly when driving to the conditions.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 626205

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Friday, Jun 14, 2019 at 16:41

Friday, Jun 14, 2019 at 16:41
Thanks Dunc.

Its been decided that we 'must' go to Coral Bay as well so from my map its a big detour to access Mt Augustus.

Will keep looking.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 899894

Sponsored Links