Canning Stock Route

Submitted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 at 23:04
ThreadID: 138296 Views:3793 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We’re planning driving the CSR in mid May, commencing from the top end at Halls Creek. Can anyone advise us on track conditions regarding any areas that may’ve been affected by rain? Member Sandy I
Sandy I

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 16:46

Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 16:46
Hmm, we are going down the route the same way in the beginning of June, so was looking forward to some replies! Anyone out there??? There is a Facebook group on the Canning but there hasn't been much on there about track conditions this year. And I wonder if the flies are crook? They are painful here. Cheers and travel safe. Toni
AnswerID: 625513

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 16:40

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 16:40
I am currently out on the CSR - well in Newman at the moment after cutting across from Durba Hills for mechanical repair. But heading back on Saturday via the Talawana to Georgia Bore.

Not too many people out here at the moment.

Flies are numerous during the day but disappear on dark.

Weather pleasant during the day but very cool at night.

Fuel at Parngurr is currently $3.65 a litre. Store is well stocked and reasonably priced. Staff and residents very friendly.

Bottom half from Wiluna to Durba Hills (Well 17) is OK! Yes it’s got heaps of corrugations - but how bad depends on your expectations and previous experience. I personally don’t think they are too bad (correct pressure and speed will see you through).

I did a side trip from Newman to Desert Queen Baths then out to Parngurr. The Balfour Downs Road, Talawana Track and Jigalong Road through to Marble Bar bitumen is in great, we’ll maintained condition.

Travellers from the north have said the track down is in good condition - although spinifex is still a bit high, particularly into Breadon Hills.

As I said will be heading back out on Saturday after parts arrive on Friday and will add more info when I get to the top.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 625548

Follow Up By: Member - Sandy I - Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 23:58

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 23:58
Hi Anthony..
Thanks for your response.
We will be departing Halls Creek heading south about 27 May so could well meet you on the track. We are in a Hilux with a.slide-on camper.
We’ll keep a lookout for you. Do you monitor UHF channel 40?
Good luck.
Best regards,
Sandy and Mark
Sandy I

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 899248

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 09:20

Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 09:20
Hi Sandy

Yes I do monitor UHF 40. I’m in a White 100 Series Landcruiser.

I will be leaving Newman on Saturday 18th heading out to Georgia Bore. Will then back track to Durba Springs for a two day (?) stopover before resuming Northward travel. So will definitely see you out there.

I met up with a group of three vehicles at Pierre Springs, who were travelling from the North - all with large trayback campers (79 series LC, Hilux and a D-max). They said they had no issues getting through the sand hills, so you should be all good.

See you out there!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 899250

Reply By: Member - Sandy I - Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:04

Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:04
Thanks Anthony........ that all sounds encouraging!

See you along the track somewhere.

Cheers.
Sandy and Mark
Sandy I

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 625553

Sponsored Links