The Anne Beadell Highway

Submitted: Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:19
ThreadID: 138196 Views:4417 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Well it is that time of the year when many people are planning their winter travels.

One question is often asked about my favourite Outback Highway - The Anne Beadell Highway. You may ask why is it my favourite, well because of its isolation, ever constant changing scenery and the thought that you can have the whole drive to yourself.

My only advise for any intended traveller is to do as much research as you can, get all your permits and make sure your vehicle is very well maintained and in 100% mechanical condition for such a trip, carry a good puncture repair kit and know how to repair a puncture, drop your tyre pressures and drive to the conditions.

You will encounter every type of road surface, from those renown corrugations, hard packed limestone outcrops, gravel sections, slightly sandy conditions that are not a problem and sections of the track that are a real super highway to drive on.

The time of the year can also have its advantages, as if you travel through the area when the wildflowers are in full bloom, you will be rewarded in some of the best sights you can ever see. Take your time, stop regularly and see so many different things along the way.

All of the above sounds great, but still will not give the first time travellers an insight on what the track is like, so as they say, pictures can tell a thousand words. All of the below images are all taken along the Anne Beadell, and do not include any side tracks.

So without further chat, sit back and you be the judge on what Australia's largest desert, The Great Victoria Desert has to offer those that travel the Anne Beadell Highway.

Happy Travelling.

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:54

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:54
Thanks for that.....brought back some great memories. And I agree, it's one of the most enjoyable tracks in the country.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625083

Reply By: Nacho - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:06

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:06
Permits ? No permits carried on our club trip in 2016. Road was great, had just been graded.
AnswerID: 625095

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:14

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:14
Hi Nacho

Can you please pass on to the person in your club that organised the trip, that he should never be in such a position.

He never did his research and others in your group should have also been aware that permits ARE required .

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898696

Follow Up By: Nacho - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:21

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:21
Know one out there to check anyway
FollowupID: 898697

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:25

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:25
If you got caught, what would be your excuse?

All I can say is your club must be dump and not the type of club that promotes responsible Outback Travel.

If anyone in your group could use a computer, and knows what Google means, they would have found this...Anne Beadell Permits
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898698

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:43

Monday, Apr 22, 2019 at 21:43
"Permits ? No permits carried on our club trip in 2016"

Here's one of the main reasons that most responsible and avid 4wdrivers and bush lovers get a bad name - and I will have a small wager on Nacho has brightly coloured permanently mounted max trax mounted on his vehicle !!!

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 898699

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 09:00

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 09:00
Nacho

I’d encourage your club to do the right thing in regards to not just permits, but in all matters.

If we want respect and access as 4WD clubs and associations then we need to show it also.

I can’t imagine anyone wanting to be part of a 4WD club or association that isn’t willing to display this attribute...!

Besides, who wants to belong to a society where the only crime is getting caught, rather than one where people simply ‘do the right thing’.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 898710

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 02:22

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 02:22
Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits! *eyeroll*

Beyond the issue of following the rules that are in place, Defence activities might have spoiled your little party if you were out there during an exclusion period!
FollowupID: 898750

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 00:00
StephenL man oh man. Reminds me of my 7.years working in outback. Fantastic photos.Did you do it solo.? Camper trailer could it handle it. Unfortunately I cant go anywhere for a year my wife sadly has to have Chemo..My Hilux just gathering dust the wrong kind ha ha ha.
AnswerID: 625101

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 07:21

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 07:21
Hi Lazylux

The very first time when we did our first Anne Beadell trip, we departed from Laverton in WA as a solo trip, but after meeting 2 other travellers, they joined us on day 4 and travelled with us for the rest of the trip.

Like I said, if your vehicle is mechanical sound and you are confident in such a trip, solo is not a problem and I would and will do it again solo in the future.

A well built sturdy camper will be fine, but you will see evidence of cheaper trailers and campers that are not built for such a trip littering the desert.

I wish your wife all the best with her chemo and stay positive, and your Hilux will be out there again getting red dust over it.

All the Best.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898707

Reply By: cookie1 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 08:41

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 08:41
Did the track last year and it was great with many things to see. Small point of order if I may though, the plane is on a side track :)
AnswerID: 625103

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 13:57

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 13:57
Hi Cookie

Yes I must admit that after I posted this forum post, I thought,...bugger the plane wreck is around 14 km north of the Anne Beadell.

It’s an easy drive, so it still should be on the must see and do list when trailing this great Outback Highway.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898725

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 08:53

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 08:53
Great post & photos as always Stephen, Anne Beadell is definitely on my bucket list.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625104

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 14:01

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 14:01
Hi Macca,

Yes it is still my favourite drive, for the ever changing scenery and the best camping spots along the way.

We were going to go again solo this year, but with a change in employment, it has put this return trip on halt unfortunately .

As I have said before, there is so much to see and explore and is a great drive.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898726

Reply By: Siringo - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 11:43

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 11:43
Great photos Stephen L, 7 weeks until we head off, I think it is.

Unnamed Conservation Park. Is it unnamed or that it's name?
AnswerID: 625109

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 14:05

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 14:05
Hi Siringo

You are going to have the trip of a lifetime.

It used to be call the Unnamed Conservation Park, but in later years is now called the Mamungari Conservation Park.

All the best and have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898727

Reply By: LAZYLUX16 - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 15:34

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 15:34
Thanks Stephen L.Just a simple question does it make any difference which way you traverse ABH.Cheers.
AnswerID: 625112

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 18:49

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 18:49
Hi Lazylux

Not really, but if you start from Laverton ( we were still on SA time and left 7am SA time, or 5:30 WA time), do not be in a hurry and the Yeo Homestead would make a great camp, but we arrived there at lunchtime and was far too early to camp.

The road out from Laverton is usually quite good, but deteriorates well before Neale Junction, and then greatly improves from there all the way through to Ilkurlka, and then back to corrugations.

Don’t rush the drive, take your time and do lots of exploring along the way.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898738

Reply By: Member - Steve R (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 19:22

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 19:22
Thank you Stephen. You are an absolute champion for your contributions to the website.
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 625118

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 19:28

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2019 at 19:28
Hi Steve

That’s what the forum is all about, helping out fellow travellers.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898742

Reply By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 02:15

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 02:15
"...if you travel through the area when the!wildflowers!are in full bloom, you will be rewarded in some of the best sights you can ever see."

When is the best time for wildflowers along the AB? I would imagine the quantity varies depending on winter rains, but does the timing vary as well? Is it too soon to make predictions for this upcoming spring? :)

I do want to drive the entire AB, and this September was looking to be a great time for me to do it. But unfortunately Woomera has scheduled Amber Zone 2 exclusion periods for the entire month of September. :(

October seems a little too late, i.e. warm, to me. I *might* be able to get out there in late August, that is that too early?
AnswerID: 625121

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 07:15

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019 at 07:15
Hi Candace

Mother Nature will have the final decision when the flowers are in bloom and how much rain has fallen during our winter months.

We have found August to be a good time of the year when it still has very nice warm days and cool to cold nights for a great campfire and good sleeping.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 898751

Sponsored Links