Yulara to Laverton via Connie Sue and Anne Beadell Highways

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 10:38
ThreadID: 138191 Views:2918 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
We're planning to travel this way in our Troopy with friends in a landcruiser, about the third week in June. Anybody got info on road conditions on any of these roads, especially the Connie Sue?

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 12:52

Sunday, Apr 21, 2019 at 12:52
We did parts of your intended trip last year, during a 10K, almost 6 week trip, through SA, WA & NT.

Sandy Blight Junction with GCR to Yulara was a mix of good(bitumen stretches & recently graded), fair & solid corrugations. Case of drive to conditions, take your time & admire the scenery. Some beautiful scenery near the border, Docker River & just east of there. Of course, the Olgas won't disappoint if you're there at the right time of day.

We turned West off CS at Parallel Road No.2, after travelling up from Cocklebiddy, so can't help you with conditions past Warburton, to SB turnoff. From AB north, the road twists & turns a bit through the sandhills, but is mostly good, firm sand. Recall there may have been occasional limestone outcrop to negotiate but they weren't as bad as around Rawlinna.

The track is badly washed out in a number of places so be alert. Wonderful flora through these sandhills too. Also a number of pinstriping avenues, if I recall correctly. Fill up with water at Cooper Hills Bore, if you need too.

Neale Junction is a good spot, with camping area a few hundred metres west of the Junction. Couple of permanent residents there so you won't be lonely.

Worth going into Port Lilian, Hanns Bluff & if you weren't short of time, or fuel, going down the few extra Kms to Neale's Breakaways.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 625068

Reply By: Member - Keffa - Friday, Apr 26, 2019 at 23:35

Friday, Apr 26, 2019 at 23:35
Travelled North to South on Connie Sue last week. There are a few places north of Neale Junction where in places the corrugations had me at less than 10kph, also a few washouts and holes but nothing too serious also north of Neale Junction, look for bypass tracks. Lots of trees blocking track with work arounds for most. South of Neale Junction to Rawlinna is okay until you reach limestone country, there are ridges every 100m or so, tyre killers if going too fast, the ridges where also apparent from Rawlinna to Cocklebiddy. Bit more of a drivers track than Anne Beadell but both are good, four days and the only vehicle/people we saw was some locals in a Ford econovan we winched out of a soft patch less than 15km from the start at Warburton, Paradise, for me anyway. Watch your fuel driving at the low speeds required may use more than you expect especially at the southern end with acceleration and stop through the rocky ridges. We were towing a camper trailer and had little issue except for some minor damage from the corrugation such as battery retaining straps in the trailer snapping, Also you are going to get scratched and badly, buy Rhino Skin if this is an issue, in places the track is narrow and tree lined.
Have a good time and if possible do the excursions.
AnswerID: 625184

Sponsored Links