Spot Gen 3 Messenger.. reducing cost

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:19
ThreadID: 138170 Views:2735 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
If anyone has a Spot Gen 3 Messenger with an active subscription.. as you may know there's superior devices now available.. such as the Garmin InReach Explorer+ which offers bidirectional messaging capability.

The acquisition cost is significant for the Garmin devices ($700 or so)..

But.. if you're going to keep your Spot Gen 3 Messenger for a while, get on the phone to Spot via their Australian support number (0424 217 768) and tell them that you're thinking of moving to a competitors product and that you'd like to deactivate.. they will offer you a lower monthly charge to keep you connected.. I've just had mine reduced for the next 12 months.. I'll move over to the Garmin at some point soon, but in the meantime my monthly cost is reduced. The process seems to take forever on the phone so do it when you have 20 mins free, you will need your ESN Number (its on the device, behind the battery I think), your email address, and one of the telephone numbers you have registered to confirm your identity.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nacho - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:50

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:50
Reduced from what to what ?
AnswerID: 624984

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:06

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:06
Last renewal for me was in June 2018, at the time I indicated that I was not going to renew (genuinely) given the price was US$225. They gave me a credit of US$150, reducing the cost to US$75, so I elected to continue another year.

I have a standard package including tracking.

But, to be honest I doubt I will renew this year for the similar package as I do not use the tracking function to any great extent, it is linked to my EO profile (If I turn the Spot on), but it is an extensive tool to simply say "here I am".

I carry a 406 Beacon in the vehicle and when hiking, along with Iridium Satphone and whilst I get that the Spot has some functionality it doesn't give me any more than what I currently have these days in terms of communication.

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 624985

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:19

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:19
They must be owned by foxtel haha.

Once a year we have the 'I'm leaving' conversation which leads to a negotiation and we fall back into an uneasy relationship based purely on the fact that they own the rights to the sports I wish to watch....
FollowupID: 898555

Reply By: rlhydn - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 15:41

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 15:41
That's disappointing.
I sold my SPOT last year after deciding the annual fee was too exorbitant, there was no Australian Support and found the service lack lustre when needing to call international for simple things like a Password Reset.
Albeit, we had a happy few years of travel with the SPOT tracking us flawlessly..

Am looking at the InReach now instead. Monthly subscription and App functionality I hope will prove superior.
AnswerID: 624991

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 16:30

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 16:30
You will be 100% happy with the Garmin InReach Explorer+.. superb device, great website, excellent tracking and messaging.. And you can pause your subscription at any time..

I have been testing one for a few weeks (my son's).

FollowupID: 898556

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 19:33

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2019 at 19:33
I bought the Garmin InReach explorer and have the flexible plan that can be paused and reactivated at my control. Only $25 a month for tracking and 10 free messages and able to Bluetooth to the phone via the Garmin earth app and text vie the app any where in the world. I bought the Garmin because it uses the iridium saga lites and has far better coverage than the thuraya that the Spot uses. Also the plan is flexible and adjustable monthly.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624994

Sponsored Links