Yerranderie Free Camping

Hi All

I am taking a group from our Club out to Yerranderie as part of the Caves to Caves this weekend. We are looking to camp there but the only links i can find are for the Private Town @ $14 per head. For some larger families this is too much.

Does anyone have the link to the free camping area at Yerranderie? or at least point me in the right directions. The closet i have got is the map link below also shows a red camp site and the Blue private town one

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/historic-buildings-places/yerranderie-private-town/map
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 15:26

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 15:26
I just gave Mark the caretaker a call - what a top guy!! Yep there is free camping on about 4 acres just up behind the Police Station/Courthouse when you first arrive into town on the right. He says it is a great area, but you will miss out on the ambience of the main area - and its facilities. ie. long drop toilets up there only, whereas the Private Town campground has hot showers, fancy clean flushing toilets and soft toilet paper (I told you he was a character). Just turn up - heaps of room. I think that's probably where we camped about 20 years ago - not been there for a very long time hence I couldn't be sure of current situations.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 624480

Follow Up By: sweetnam - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 06:58

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 06:58
Awesome - thanks for the info
FollowupID: 897991

Reply By: duck - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 15:45

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 15:45
Have you been there before?
If you camp near the Original Police station/ Court house, end of runway area there is no charge. as this area is/was part of the water board not part of National parks & private town was left to National parks not that many years ago, I was their only a few months ago, I go every year as I have a relative in the cemetery in times gone past we use to come thru the catchment area about a 1hour drive from Camden, I also have a distant relative buried at Limeburner’s flat, I don’t think you can access Limeburner’s fire trail back to Wombeyan Caves anymore, it’s a long time since I have come in that way
AnswerID: 624481

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 08:46

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 08:46
According to a NPWS ranger at the time, Limeburners fire trail was closed years ago (maybe 12 or so) due to bogans in 4wds and on trail bikes ripping up both the track and also Limeburners Flat which was, until it was damaged, a very pretty bush camp spot.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897994

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 16:36

Monday, Mar 18, 2019 at 16:36
Kids are only $7 per night.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 624483

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 07:42

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 07:42
I was there a few months ago and the private town campground was pretty busy. The free campground was almost empty, had a lot of room and looked pretty good but as said, it's a short drive into private town where the interesting buildings are. You hook right towards the cemetary and it's on the left near the end of the air strip from memory.
AnswerID: 624489

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 17:59

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2019 at 17:59
We are up there regularly, great spot and free camping is in the government town.

Quite a large area with water and toilets.

If you go into the private town, which is worth it, there is a cost.

You can read our blog here.

Yerranderie - Whispers from the past.

Enjoy...

Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 624494

Sponsored Links