Long Ranger Tank

Howdy

Just wondering if anyone has a Troopy with the 90 litre front tank and the rear 90 replaced with a 180 litre.
Interested in your over all experience.

Thanks

Lyndon

Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 22:26

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 22:26
Yep Lyndon.

270 litres all up. My friends call me "The Super Tanker".

Experience has been all good.
Long Ranger brand fitted by ARB.
Fuel gauge works accurately.

Has really provided the range and security I seek.
What else can I say?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623924

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 07:38

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 07:38
That's some good capacity Allan.
What typical range would that give you on an inland desert trip, say usual 80km/hr or so tracks like Great Central Rd, Kintore Road / Gary Junction Rd, etc ?

Just wanted to add my thumbs up for the Long Ranger, mine's been in the Ranger for over 6 years and never an issue, solid build and ARB did a good solid install.
FollowupID: 897265

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 08:32

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 08:32
Hi Allan

Thanks for the feed back, just what I was after.

Did you loose any departure angle?

I have a few bibs and bobs under the rear that may have to be re located,
any chance of some pic's?

What donk is in your Troopy?

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897268

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:24

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:24
Hi Les,

Typically, on good unsealed roads driving at 80k/h I would expect to get 1400-1500k.
Mind you, I don't push my luck on that. There is always the risk of anticipating fuel top-up at a remote station then arriving and finding that they are out of fuel. So I top-up at most opportunity whatever the price. That does not apply where I am confident of finding fuel available. For example, from Kunawaritji to Alice Springs via the Gary Junction Rd is what, about 1000k and sure to have fuel at Alice so I did not top-up along the way. It is a comfortable feeling to know that you have ample fuel in the tanks when meandering well off the main routes.

I also use a considered technique when managing the two tanks. Run the rear 180L down first to about halfway. This then equals the front 90L and gets weight off the tail-end. From there I go down a bit each at a time in smaller lots. This ensures that I have the maximum reserve should I get a hole in any one tank.
The alternative method of draining one tank first puts all the eggs in one basket.

Yes, my Long Ranger is now about 10 years old. I was impressed with ARB. The fuel gauge was adjusted to read accurately and their workmanship was what we expect but do not always get. For example, they obviously had the towbar off and re-installed it with all new bolts etc. But you pay of course.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897280

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:42

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:42
Hi Lyndon,

No, departure angle was unchanged, see photo.
My donk is 1HZ, naturally aspirated. Not fast on bitumen but will climb over any Simpson dune without fuss.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897281

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:54

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:54
Cheers Alan, yes great to know you can be a little more flexible when you can.
I usually start with dead full tanks from home, unless city is stupid price, and at those times you can get fuel in the near country a lot less.
Then I top off as I go, usually the more remote, the greater the cost, so I can keep fuel costs to a minimum there.

I generally am ok on slow outback for about a safe 1500km / 1800km or so hwy on the 2 tanks onboard, but often take a jerry, sometimes 2 for 226lt.
Not long ago, I drove from Melb to Bris with 2 tanks and 1 jerry.

Long Ranger seem to promise most makes with more clearance than oem tank, mine was 20mm less depth than original, but that was without the oem fuel tank bash plate (fairly thin ~ 1.0 to 1.5mm steel).
They say the aluminised steel is strong, but more importantly takes a bit of rough stuff well.
That said, it seems to be the extra clearance is fine, as there are no dings in the tank so far.
FollowupID: 897282

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:21

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:21
Hi Allan

Can you see any issues with the gear I have. On the rear I have a duel Kaymar swing away wheel carrier.
There is a bolt and wire which I'm prety sure is the ground wire for the trailer plug. This will be easy enough to relocate if need be. There are a couple of other items as well. A 175A Anderson plug and a water tap and hose.
I also have the Long Ranger 54 litre water tank.
Your thoughts?

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897311

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:23

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:23
A couple more photos.

FollowupID: 897312

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:55

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 09:55
Hi Lyndon,

Well the Anderson plug and the water tap & hose would need to be relocated.
Anything outside of the main longtitudinal chassis members would be clear.
Your towbar mounting appears a little different to mine but still should be clear of a tank.
The swing-away wheel carrier should not be a problem.
Where is your water tank. Under the passenger floor I guess. So long as it is not rear of the differential it would be OK.
The Long Ranger is a close fit within the chassis members so they need to be clear from behind the axle to the rear cross member.

Other than that I can see no problems to fit a tank like mine.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897315

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 09:22

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 09:22
Hi Allan

I'm thinking the tap location is OK, but it's the hose that will be the issue.

Re the Anderson plug, I'm not so sure. It's hard to compare with different bar work.

Can I please bother you for a couple more photo's. Looking directly up under the tank, edge of tank to chassis. This might give me some idea's of clearances.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897354

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:21

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:21
Here ya go Lyndon,

There is more clearance than I thought. At least 50mm between tank and chassis member. Not so much at rear, about 20mm but I was unable to photograph that.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897357

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 17:47

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 17:47
Hi Lyndon

Allan has posted some great advice about the long ranger tank

I fitted one to my 105 probably about 2010 2011. Never had a problem with it. A few people here are saying about the cost effectiveness of fitting a big tank but while it mightn’t add up dollar wise it’s the convenience of it. Just fill it up and go. Forget about jerrycans.

If you want to justify the money we spend on our 4wds honestly how many people need a bullbar? How many people need mud tyres? How often do those maxtrax on the roof rack get used? I have got Arb air lockers in the 105. Used once !!!

I would highly recommend getting one, I can’t see any drawbacks.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 897391

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:22

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:22
Hi Lyndon, whilst I do not have a troopy, I chose the ARB Polytank over the Long Ranger Steel tank due to the weight differential. Not sure if ARB do a Polytank for the troopy, but it may be worth thinking about.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623933

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:54

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:54
I wonder though, just how much better the weight is ?
The Long Ranger, and most others I think, are aluminised steel, about 2mm thickness ?

I have a 60lt sub poly tank and its walls are 8mm min for strength and longevity, and it weighs quite a bit.

Suppose I could find time later to compare, should be able to find specs online for both with a search.
I don't think it would be a great deal between them, based on ratio of weight for capacity.
FollowupID: 897271

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:28

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:28
Hi Les, according to Long Ranger, their 180 Ltr steel tank weighs 55 kgs. ARB state their tank is between 30 & 50% weight savings between their Frontier long range Polytank and a steel equivalent. So using the 30% figure, the ARB Polytank would weigh approx 40 kgs, using the 50% figure it would weigh approx 27 kgs. Either could mean the difference between being overweight or not.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897277

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:35

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 12:35
I just ran the maths over this.
The Long Ranger is 2mm steel. The ARB Poly Tank is "7-9mm" Polymer.
Assuming the same geometric dimensions the Poly tank will be about 50% weight of the steel.

I would justify my steel tank by believing that if I bottomed onto it then it would bend rather than rupture. And if it did rupture I would be more able to repair it than if polymer. But none of that may be true!!

But if I had polymer then I would justify it by claiming that it was half the tare weight and flying rocks would bounce off. And if I needed to repair it then it would be quite easy, notwithstanding that I had never actually tried to do it.

Whatever "rocks your boat" I guess.
Note that ARB market both steel and poly. I have no idea of the comparative prices.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897283

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 12:44

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 12:44
Thanks Macca

ARB don't make a Poly tank for my car they have told me. Thanks for your input though.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897437

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:39

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:39
I've considered installing a long range tank on my 105 but I've only needed it a couple of times. Once on the CSR where the distance to the first fuel is 1000km (Kunawarritji) and Laverton to Cocklebiddy on the Anne Beadell/ Connie Sue Highways. Given that the standard configuration will give me a range of 700km, I only needed to carry an additional 60 litres of fuel on the CSR.
By the time you purchase and fit a Long Ranger tank, you'd probably be shy of $2,000.00 - 2,500.00.
Additional fuel in Jerry cans is a lot cheaper and the inconvenience of decanting is not really a problem as you're generally not in a hurry.
I can't really justify the expense for my type of touring, however, I can see that it would be convenient for other forms of out back travel.

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623939

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 13:11

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 13:11
Hi DB,
Were you perhaps pulling a trailer to carry the jerry cans?
There is no way that I wish to carry jerries on the roof of the Troopy let alone having the effort of getting them up or down!!!

Besides, the economics are not just the initial purchase price of the Long Ranger tank.
For three good quality steel jerries you lay out about $240.
A Long Ranger at $2000 is about the cost of three vehicle tankfuls if you are paying $3/L in remote communities.
Buying at $2/L in 'civilisation' you would save about $200 each fill. Do that 10 times and you have recovered the cost of the Long Ranger. I figure that I paid-off the cost of my Lone Ranger in the first couple of years and have enjoyed its convenience for 10 years.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897284

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 14:56

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 14:56
Hi Alan,
Don't really need a trailer for 3 jerry cans. Plastic cans are $35.00 each and you don't need to take them off the roof to fill your tank..
As I said, The economics don't suit me as I've only needed extra fuel a couple of times , however, It could suit other forms of outback travel.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 897289

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 16:42

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 16:42
Dingo, c'mon, I was hardly suggesting that you used a trailer just for 3 jerries! I thought you may be already pulling a camper-trailer and found that convenient for carrying the jerries.

I can see that you "can't really justify the expense for your type of touring" but I just wanted to point out that a larger tank can be cost-effective, but of course it does need a financial outlay.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897290

Reply By: Rod W6 - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 21:57

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 21:57
Hi Lyndon,
Yep I have a 180lt in the rear of my troopy. Installed it myself which was easy to do. I was amazed at how it sits right up out of the way of any possible damage.
AnswerID: 623956

Reply By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 22:59

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 22:59
Hi Lyndon

I am on to my second Longranger tank, the first one cracked twice, once in the middle of the Anne Beadell, it was repaired under warranty, the comment from the ARB manager at the shop i went into was that it was unusual as they normaly dont crack there???. Then it cracked again in a different place, on the Gibb River Road, Longranger replaced the tank and guess what, the new one cracked in a different place to what the other one had. To say i am not impressed with the tanks construction is an under statement. If you are going to travel on out of the way rough tracks maybe check out some alternatives.

Len
AnswerID: 623980

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 09:16

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 09:16
Hi Len

Appreciate the reply. What a bloody terrible experience.

Can you please give me specific's re the tank and vehicle (models)

Thanks

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897353

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:32

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 11:32
Len, I can understand your dismay, but it surely must be an isolated case.

As ARB said, it is "unusual".
If this were common then Long Ranger would not have the good reputation that they do have.
Mine has done about 90,000km on the roughest tracks that Australia has without incident. Other vehicle components have suffered injury, but not the tank.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897359

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 19:54

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 19:54
Len, I have to agree with the others here, I had a Long Ranger in my 100 series which travelled more than 200,000 kms on some pretty rough tracks. It had a few dents in it from bottoming out, but did not crack.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897369

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 20:04

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 20:04
Hi Len

Also wondering if you took any photo's of the cracked tank?

If so, can you please post them.

Thanks

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897370

Follow Up By: Member - Len & Rhoda - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 22:39

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 22:39

Hi Lyndon

Hopefully the pics worked out, its the first time i have used the function. The vehicle is a 75 series Troopy, the first crack appeared after about 18 months, then the second crack was about 8 months later. The second tank was only about 8 months old when it cracked, all the cracks were associated with welds??. There is a major Australian Iron Ore producer in the Pilbara that has removed all the Longranger tanks from their 70 series railroad vehicles because of cracking and are trialing the poly tank. The comment from the ARB employee in Townsville was that it was unusual for the tank to crack where it had as they usually crack on the weld for the mounting bracket.

Len
FollowupID: 897376

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 06:43

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 06:43
Never had an issue with my 180ltr Longranger tank in my 105 series....drove plenty of corrugated outback roads with it, and harder 4wd tracks offroading that gave it the odd heavy wack aswell.
FollowupID: 897380

Follow Up By: duck - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 16:31

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 16:31
Sorry to hear you have had such bad luck
Long ranger tanks have been around a long time & I think it’s well before ARB came on the scene, Fred Black had a 4WD shop in the seventy's I think it was called out of town & he use to get two brothers (I think they were panel beaters) to make his tanks I had one that went under the passenger’s seat on my FJ45 ute & I’m sure they went on to be Long ranger tanks in the late eighties anyway they have built a lot of tanks in there time so yes they would have had some crack & weep & anything can break but overall not many. I would be looking at how yours was fitted/driven etc. to get 2 tanks that cracked on the same vehicle now that's strange & if it was common/fault a lot would have heard about it & ADR would have acted (maybe) If you have problems with a steel tank don’t go a bladder tank
Good luck
FollowupID: 897388

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 18:23

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 18:23
Another vote for Long-ranger.

I have two on my vehicle; a 180 litre and an 80 litre.

They have been on the vehicle since new (2013) and done 150K and seen plenty of differing terrain without any trouble or problem.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 897393

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 12:56

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 12:56
Hi Len

Sorry for the slow reply. Just wanted to say thanks for your efforts to post the pic's.
From all accounts, you have been pretty unlucky.
To quote the ARB manager in Darwin.
"I used to be the branch manager in Alice, saw lots of broken gear coming in from the desert tracks. Iv'e seen cracked tanks, usually along the welds, but most of these were on vehicles that hadn't been set up correctly".
He said they used to re weld them in Alice but now send them back.
"Long Ranger are good to deal with when it comes to warranty".

So apart from your terrible experience Len, (I'm not saying your vehicle isn't set up correctly),it's almost all positive.
Hence I'm throwing caution to the wind and will be fitting one later this year.
The price at ARB Darwin, supplied and fitted is just over $1600.
Priced getting the tank myself, I'd save $200. Not worth the bother, I know that ARB back their products to the hilt and if I have issues I can just take it back there rather than dealing with Long Ranger direct.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 897438

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 13:50

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 13:50
Lyndon, you may not save $200 by fitting the tank yourself. It is required, at least in Qld and probably everywhere, to obtain an engineers inspection and fitting of a Modification Plate upon changing the tank. ARB would almost certainly have allowed for this in their quote. It would probably cost you $200 to obtain that independently.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 897443

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 15:33

Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 at 15:33
On certification - in NSW it isn’t required if the replacement tank uses the same attachment points. However any auxiliary tank will need an engineering sign-off.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 897447

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 23:11

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 23:11
We had a 166L Longranger tank fitted to an 80 series wagon, we’ve since sold. It was fitted by ARB Rockhampton, and we did over 200K kms with tank fitted.

The tank never cracked, leaked or was damaged by external forces. We lived on the Diamantina at the time and the wagon was no stranger to rough roads & some off road work.

The fuel gauge would remain on full until we had done up to 600kms, then gradually drop to E. Never did a fuel range test, but often did Winton to Brisbane without refuelling.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 624000

Reply By: Member - Paul M55 - Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 00:45

Friday, Feb 22, 2019 at 00:45
Yes had a 180 litre on a 76 series 5 years ago was an excellent tank well built no problem .
I am currently building a new 2019 troopy i am also replacing rear tank with 180 litre longranger fuel tank
AnswerID: 624015

Sponsored Links