trailer to cape york

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:00
ThreadID: 137822 Views:3791 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
just after a few opinions heading to cape York early june don't no about towing a trailer I think I could get away with out it but it means packing the car to roof do you think if I take the trailer and make things a bit easyer and probably get stuck a few times because the extra weight ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:35

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:35
Probably need some more information on where you're going and what you are doing
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623909

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:33

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:33
The main road north on Cape York is OK for "The Kingswood" towing a trailer.
Just take it easy if it is corrugated.
I suggest that towing a trailer is a better proposition than an overloaded car.

The OTT is a different question, as is some of the side trips.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA106 motorhome
AnswerID: 623911

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:39

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 12:39
IMHO not a garden trailer. The RACQ blokein Coen makes fortune out of recovering broken tralers.
The bloke in Seisia also mainly fixes even off road trailers which were not well designed eg swingout tyre bracket breaking off.

A well designed off road trailer eg ex army fine.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 623913

Follow Up By: john m85 - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 17:29

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 17:29
my trailer is ex army willys jeep they were used in the Vietnam war.
FollowupID: 897247

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 21:16

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 21:16
John
It doesn't matter if it's a ex Army Willy's Jeep or a Vietnam era Centurion Tank, if the tyres aren't good, suspension (shock absorbers/struts) isn't decent and you have checked all welds etc you will have problems.
The PDR when I did it in July a few years back was fine, but despite having a self proclaimed "King of the Off Road" camper trailer, I had problems even though it had been on much worse roads previously.
If you thoroughly check over your trailer, stick to the PDR, drive sensibly you shouldn't have any problems at all and will have a wonderful time.
Not sure how the heavy rain in FNQ will have affected the PDR, you will know by May though.
Mark
FollowupID: 897259

Follow Up By: Cobba123 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 13:52

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019 at 13:52
I did CY pulling a trailer back in 96. The trailer was purchased new as an off-road trailer when we left Sydney and boy did we have some trouble with it..... it’s first test was the dirt road from Kurumba to Cairns where the leaf springs kept folding up on themselves when a big bump in the road was hit. We had to continued wedging and popping back the axle with a piece of timber. In the end it was too much for the trailer tearing one of the front leaf spring mounts from the chassis rail.... Inspection of the material used for the chassis was 2mm gauge hollow section and no where near enough.... The trailer was a dud and spoiled our trip.... Dispute with the manufacturer in Sydney. Ended up leaving it in Cairns and headed north without it..... We were thankful we didn’t take with us otherwise the dramas would have been worse.....

I guess I am saying what ever you desire to take, make sure the build quality is up to the task
FollowupID: 897323

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 14:21

Sunday, Feb 17, 2019 at 14:21
Hi John

Last year we did the Cape trip and had an absolute ball and just wish we could have spent more time there.

Providing that your trailer is of solid construction and you drive to the conditions, it should be fine, but if it is not strong, please leave it at home.

The Peninsula Development Road is very busy and crazy all the time, and they say unbearable during school holidays, as when we crossed the Jardine River, the ferry operator said that there was a 4 hour wait to get across during the school holidays.

One thing that we found hard to follow up on first, was the actual road conditions, as you will read so much and get a number of different opinions from so many people.

For that very reason, I wrote another Blog, on our experience of Cape York last years, so if you open this link it will give you a better understanding on what the conditions are like and what some on the special places are to see.

Like I said above, take your time and try to spend as much time up there as you can, as when we did the trip last year, we took 7 weeks LSR and to be honest, it was far too short.

All the best and enjoy a great place that should be on everyone bucket list.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623916

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:08

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:08
Hi John, can highly recommend Stephen’s blog on the cape, an excellent read, and full of great info.

As far as towing a trailer, we towed a 2.5t full off road van without too much trouble. We suffered one tyre sidewall split on the van, and the bolts holding the shockers to the suspension arm broke on one side. This is on a 2.8t rated Cruisemaster XT suspension system. Fortunately we carried spares and was able to do running repairs. So if your trailer does not have heavy duty full off road suspension or drawbar & hitch, I would leave it at home, or buy one that is suitable.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623937

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 13:22

Monday, Feb 18, 2019 at 13:22
Yes, there is no doubt about the value of Stephen's blogs.
I read them after I have done the same trip and think... "how did I miss that.... and that?"

Stephen not only susses-out everything, he photographs it all too. I really do not know how he finds time to drive!!!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 897285

Reply By: Brown Hornet - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 23:41

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2019 at 23:41
No probs on the PDR especially if it’s an off-road trailer, people tow caravans up there. It was freshly graded when we were there, so like a dirt highway. We didn’t see any trailers on the Old Tellie Track, and I’d say you’d struggle at some of the crossings and would end up with a soggie trailer!
AnswerID: 624407

Sponsored Links