Confusion iphone GPS and Bluetooth GPS

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 15:37
ThreadID: 137783 Views:4605 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have recently downloaded the ExplorOz app to both my ‘new’ iPad and new iPhone XS. I have worked out that my iPad does not have a GPS chip that works once wifi is lost and I would need a Bluetooth GPS unit to run the app direction functions once wifi is lost.

Is this the same with my iphone once any mobile signal / wifi is lost or does the iphone continue to run the apps directional function if it has no mobile signal or wifi.

As an additional question if I need to purchase a Bluetooth GPS unit do you have any recommendations?

Many thanks
Paul

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 16:02

Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 16:02
Hello

A quick google indicates that iPhone XS has "Assisted GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and QZSS" so it will work fine as a GPS with no mobile/WiFi signal.

Can't help with other question (Bluetooth GPS) though it has been discussed before.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623728

Reply By: Member - Paulwh - Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 16:13

Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 16:13
Thanks Greg, I also had a look at the phone specs online, however I was unsure what the ‘assisted gps’ etc actually delivered in running the app.
AnswerID: 623729

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 17:19

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 17:19
No worries - terminology is confusing - assisted/augmented GPS (A-GPS) is "normal" gps assisted by info obtained via phone signal (when available). When no phone signal you still have GPS so all good.

RE Ipad - If I was you I would flog the ipad you have and get a version with gps and get on with your life.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 896999

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 16:32

Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 16:32
Hi Paul

If your iPad is not cellular, you will have no GPS capability, but all is not lost.
If you open this link, Bad Elf will come to your aid. This little unit will plug directly into your Lightning connection and give you full GPS capabilities.

If on the other hand you want to keep your lighting connection free for charging the iPad, then on of these will be even better. It will connect up to 5 units via Bluetooth and you will have no problems at all.

All the best and once again, no need to worry.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623730

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:05

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:05
Hi Stephen,
I use the BadElf with Lightning connector with my iPad Mini4 and the BadElf still provides a pass-through micro-usb connector to plug into power, so the iPhone battery is not an issue. Works well.
Barry
FollowupID: 896993

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:10

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:10
Hi Barry

That’s good to hear, and was not aware of that.

I know that the Bad Elf products are a premium and trusted product that not many people may be aware of.

When I was looking at a true Bluetooth GPS receiver/transmitter it was a very informative member, John from WA that put me on to these great products.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896996

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 15:13

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 15:13
Yes Stephen,
BadElf are very reliable products.
The only problem I've ever had was when I was running the BadElf software as well as ExplorOz Traveller. It would occasionally freeze up. Then I realized that the BadElf software didn't need to run all the time - just to setup or configure.
Barry
FollowupID: 896998

Reply By: Member - Paulwh - Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 17:18

Saturday, Feb 09, 2019 at 17:18
Thanks Stephen
AnswerID: 623731

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 06:49

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 06:49
Good ol Apple choose not to include a GPS in the wifi only version of the IPAD. You have to fork out for the Cellular version to get it.

It is included in iPhones.

There is a product called Bad Elf which has GPS to Bluetooth which gets the best reports. Though Apple do try to stop it working with every new IOS release..
AnswerID: 623734

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:39

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:39
Hi Tony

I have included 2 links in my above reply that show 2 Bad Elf units that will work.

The first unit plugs into the Lightning connection to give very accurate GPS capability and the second is a stand alone Bluetooth unit that will let you connect up to 5 units simultaneously via Bluetooth.

All you have to do is click on the underlined words and it will take you direct to both links. It should also be noted that the Bad Elf Pro is designed to work not only on Apple, but Android and Windows and is at this stage one on the best Bluetooth GPS units on the market.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896991

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:47

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 08:47
If you wnat / need a bluetooth Glonass GPS receiver to connect your ipad, this is the one I have and it works brilliantly . . .

GNS2000

No affiliation or interest in this company, it's just the first shopping link I found to the device, shop the internet you may find it even less in cost out there.

I use it with an older full size ipad which is perfect for mapping for me, my iphone 6 and smaller ipad mini4 both have inbuilt GPS, but I love the larger ipad screen.
AnswerID: 623735

Reply By: Member - Paulwh - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 09:21

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 09:21
Thanks Les. This looks like a good alternative to the Bad Elf pro that I have been looking at. They all seem to do the job with some having additional features and uses. I am also investigating ‘mirroring’ my Iphone into the Kenwood in car unit to see if this is an option.
AnswerID: 623736

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:26

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:26
Hi Paul, I'm not sure if phone gps can be used with another device by mirroring (bluetooth, wifi hotspot, etc), never tried that, but think it might not be something that would work.
Worth a shot though.
FollowupID: 896994

Reply By: Justin V2 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 22:13

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 22:13
Or you could just use your phone. The iPad will use the GPS data from a phone if tethered. It does not matter if the phone has coverage of not. GPS does not require a cell signal.

If you are going to use your iPhone and iPad in this way, you will need to have maps that are downloaded onto you iPad, as obviously any streamed maps (ie Google, others in the app store) will no stream.

Lots of people mistaking think that just because streamed maps wont work outside of coverage, that GPS wont work either. This is not the case.
AnswerID: 623743

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:11

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 10:11
Justin,
As far as I know, tethering does not transfer the GPS location. It may have done so with the earliest iPhones eight or nine years ago, but not any longer. If you have any evidence to support your suggestion, I'm all ears.
Also, there used to be an app called AirLocation to transfer the GPS signal but it has not been available for some years.
Barry
FollowupID: 897013

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:31

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:31
This article actually says the ipad does get gps info from the phone hotspot, but it is too sporadic for the applications to use.

https://ozrunways.tenderapp.com/kb/frequently-asked-questions/can-iphone-tethering-hotspot-give-the-ipad-a-gps-position-no-and-here-is-why
FollowupID: 897036

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:43

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:43
Michael,
Yes, I did see that article. I took notice of the last paragraph which says:
"If you have a wifi only iPad, to get a GPS position you will need a dedicated external GPS for iPad. See companies like XGPS, Bad Elf etc from your local pilot shop."
Barry
FollowupID: 897039

Reply By: Member - Paulwh - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 22:53

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 22:53
Thanks Justin, i have the ExplorOz Traveler app loaded on both my iphone and iPad. I have also downloaded the higher definition map sets. I will see how I go with the phone and then make the call on if I get a Bluetooth GPS for the iPad. From what I have looked at so far the ExplorOz app is very user friendly.
AnswerID: 623744

Reply By: Alan D12 - Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:16

Monday, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:16
Hi,
Has anyone tried the Garmin Glo 2
AnswerID: 624080

Sponsored Links