Well it had to happen eventually - just bought my first ever Toyota !

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:07
ThreadID: 137663 Views:3559 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy All

After 45 years of owning/driving cars in and around this big brown land I recently purchased a 2007 GXL 200 series V8 diesel Landcruiser ! Funny thing is I wasn't even in the market for a car at all - it just came up at a price that I could not refuse when a friend of mine decided to sell one of his two Landcruisers. I actually drove this very car to Darwin and back from Adelaide about 6 years ago when I got a gig as the head 4wd/bush survival guy with a Japanese film crew who did a documentary on John Mcdouall Stuart where we retraced his steps from the south of the country to the north - along with filming ads for the Toyota Landcruiser. Tough gig but someone had to do it !!

Over the years I have owned dozens of cars, mainly utes and have never been a one eyed Ford or Holden man nor a one eyed fan of any others - I just bought what I thought would suit my needs at the time and what I thought represented good value for money.

I have already clocked up 6000 k's in it since buying and I love it. I drove it from Adelaide to Canberra and return but found it nowhere near as comfortable as my PX1 Ranger and ended up with a sore back at the end of each trip. I put this down to what l think is that it still has the original shockers which are possibly stuffed as it hopped and skipped over bumps and it was hard to drive - something I will rectify asap. It had done 185,000 k's when I got it.

So far - I just love the power and low down grunt and love the cabin space but absolutely hate the keyless entry/start.

It's bog standard at the moment but that will change over the next few months with priority being an in dash GPS / bluetooth / reverse camera etc etc head unit followed by upgraded suspension, bullbar, driving lights, snorkel, roof rack and marginally larger tyres. I have already fitted a roller drawer system to help with storage.

Will have a few questions to ask on here re: this cruiser but for now would appreciate any useful tips on things I should do to make this great car even greater or anything I should be aware of that could cause me problems down the track !

Thanks and Cheers
" oh what a feeling "
Gazz

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:27

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:27
They are a fine vehicle, Gazz, but renowned for poor payload. If you put the fruit on it you will probably need a certified after-first-rego GVM upgrade to stay legal.

If you just do the suspension as you say you will, it will carry the weight, but without the certificate you may be illegal, which can affect an insurance claim.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623112

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:34

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:34
Thanks for that Frank

Will keep that in mind for sure. Not really planning to do any long distance remote travel in it as my Ranger is already set up for that. My daughter seems to think the only reason that I own utes is so I don't have to take her kids anywhere lol so the rear seats was a factor in buying the Cruiser.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 896248

Follow Up By: mountainman - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 20:12

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 20:12
Renowned for poor payload....
You should take a look at every 4x4 on the market.
Every single brand or model has gvm issues.

Only decent one that can take a proper load is a landcruiser cab chassis

??
FollowupID: 896264

Reply By: Keith B2 - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 01:47

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 01:47
Gazz, I'd get the transmission properly flushed either by a dealer or an auto trans outfit. It's supposed to be "sealed for life" but I had mine flushed at 140,000km and the fluid had already started to go dark.
If you get the front lifted it should take 33's.
Mind you big tyres, lift, roof rack, bull bar and so on with bugger up your economy. Mine has all the fruit and is packed with recovery gear; I am lucky to get 15l/100 on a trip and 20-22 around town.
LCOOL is worth a look as well.
AnswerID: 623114

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:45

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:45
Thanks Keith

I just want to go from the current 285/65/17's to the 285/70/17's as they are a more common tyre size. Yeah I understand the extra fuel economy with accessories but having a V6 petrol Rodeo at one stage that rarely got more than 350 k's out of a standard tank I would be happy with those figures you put up.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 896249

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:52

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 09:52
Hi I have a 2013 model standard with a key, uplift front to level the car, air bags in rear to carry caravan van 21ft, bullbar, draws, portable gps and reverse camera a lot cheaper than in built I get 12l/100 around town, towing 17-18l/100 on a good trip, 20/100 on bad trip.
I do not have a lead foot I very seldom get over 2000 revs on take off ,it is serviced regularly PS tyres are standard size off road, after market shocks.
I brought the standard because I did not want the rear seats and all the bells and whistles also $11000 grand cheaper for the same running gear.
U will enjoy Cheers
AnswerID: 623123

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:48

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:48
G'day reggy

Not looking at doing much towing but maybe down the track a bit I might buy a small light camper trailer - only problem with that is the missus might want to start coming on my trips lol

Re: in dash head unit - I never thought I would say this but after driving the Ranger then into the cruiser I do miss all the electronic creature comforts the Ranger has that the cruiser doesn't. The cruiser is 5 years older than my Ranger and I'm sure the later model cruisers have all the electronic stuff the Ranger has but I can't see myself buying a new Cruiser in the near future so a new digoptions unit will be going in soon !

With the price I paid for the car I can afford to spend a few bob on tweaking it to suit my needs

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 896252

Reply By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:24

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:24
Ronny Dahl modified youtube 200 landcruiser

You might few ideas from this video & other on youtube
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 623129

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 17:22

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 17:22
Cheers for that Nick

Will check that out when time permits - not really looking to set the new cruiser up as a serious outback tourer as my Ranger already is but I'm sure I can get some good tips and ideas from that clip

Thanks for the reply

All the best

Gazz
FollowupID: 896260

Follow Up By: Member - nickb "boab" - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 20:33

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 20:33
similar year to your's & not hard core .
cheers .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 896265

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 09:57

Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 09:57
Howdy Nick

Geez - some blokes have too much time and money I reckon lol

Just watched that video - what a fabulously set up vehicle !
I like that torque converter lock up mod - will definitely look into that - and actually there is an auto electrician where I live that does the mod - Richards Auto - not sure if it's the same Richards that was mentioned in the clip but will go and see them.

But I must say that with all the fruit and goodies in and on that cruiser it must way HEAPS. As mentioned, I don't intend to spend too much on the cruiser as I have already spent about 25k on mods and accessories for my Ranger which I absolutely love and can't praise it enough for its reliability, its off road ability, it's on road ability, its comfort and its creature comforts. It's not too far off clocking up 250,000 k's and believe me it gets some very tough workouts offroad along with being my daily work vehicle towing 2.5 tonne regularly.

Maybe when the Ranger packs it in I might mod the Cruiser a bit more but being a ute man it might be hard for me to adapt to a wagon, time will tell.

Thanks for that link

Happy and safe travels

Gazz

FollowupID: 896270

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 13:27

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 13:27
G’day,
Why the dislike for the keyless entry & start......I miss it so much on my new yank tug
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623133

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 17:33

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 17:33
G'day Tony

" Why the dislike for the keyless entry & start...."

Mainly because I leave my keys hidden in the car 99% of the time and at least with a proper key they need to find it before they have a chance to steal the car unlike with the keyless start if the keys are in the vehicle.

It's stupid I know but I just hate carrying keys or worse, having them in my pocket !

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 896261

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 15:27

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 15:27
Hi Outback Gazz,

Check out the Zenec replacement Head Unit, it comes with both street navigation & Hema HN7 Off road Navigation. Only drawback is the price, and the fact that it is a digital radio, which means you will need to install a Digital Radio Antenna.

https://zenec.com.au/product/z-n626h

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623138

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 17:39

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 17:39
Thanks for the link Macca

Looks the goods but after speaking with some people who have the digoptions unit installed and are very very happy with it I am now set on one - plus it's nearly half the price.

https://www.digoptions.com.au/android-10-gps-bluetooth-car-player-navigation-rad

Thanks for your reply

All the best

Gazz
FollowupID: 896262

Reply By: Gbc.. - Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 07:10

Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 07:10
How’s the right elbow? I like my ranger too but they need to find somewhere for my to stick that elbow haha. I’ve done some great tours in it. My mate’s cruiser suffered a case of dusting and cost him $30k to fix up. Check your panel filter mount and make sure nothing is getting past. I hear country guys are adding extra foam tape into the lid to make the fit a bit more snug. Might be worth a look given they look suspiciously like hilux filter housings which also let dust in. His is a Sahara with kdss and definitely nicer to cruise around in than my ranger - as it should ;). Enjoy.
AnswerID: 623150

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:17

Saturday, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:17
G'day Gbc

Just watched the video that Nick put up and it was also mentioned about the dust issue so I will do the foam thing as well !

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 896271

Reply By: Candace S. - Sunday, Jan 13, 2019 at 13:21

Sunday, Jan 13, 2019 at 13:21
Welcome to the dark side! LOL

I recently re-joined the Toyota fold after tiring of taking my Jeep to the shop so often. :)

Link...I bought a 2018 SR5 4WD
AnswerID: 623180

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Jan 13, 2019 at 14:48

Sunday, Jan 13, 2019 at 14:48
Howdy Candice

"after tiring of taking my Jeep to the shop so often. :) "

Funny about that - two people I know sold their jeeps for the same reason

That 4runner looks pretty good !

Cheers

Gazz
FollowupID: 896305

Sponsored Links