Everybodies Business

G'day all, at the risk of opening a rather large debate I'm after some thoughts on porta potties, are they easy to use and maintain, are they prone to leakage when travelling over rough roads, what are the best brands?
A few years ago as my body continued to age and my flexibility waned I stepped up to (if that's the correct wording) a Jimmy's Thunderbox which I find quite good (provided one doesn't make the hole too wide) but in some places these days digging a hole to dispose of this sort of business is not considered appropriate and I'm now considering purchasing a porta pottie but would appreciate the thoughts of those travellers who have already made this transition.

Many thanks, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - sparra - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 16:56

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 16:56
G,day Gary, I have had a porta pottie for a few years now,one of the best camping things I have ever bought. I was always a bit dubious of getting one,but I ended up getting one when I wanted to camp on Waroora station on the West Coast when I was living in the west. One of the rules of camping there was that you had to have a portable dunny. They are easy to empty and clean out,dump points usually have a short hose on a water tap. Cheers, Sparta.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623086

Follow Up By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 17:04
Thanks Sparra, reckon I'll give one a go.
Cheers, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 896231

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 20:18
Gary
You will give it a go everytime you want to go.
FollowupID: 896233

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 18:01

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 18:01
We have a Thetford cassette toilet (not a porta pottie, but has some similarities of operation) in the OKA that is now 14 years old and has spent most of its life in the bush.
Once I got rid of the surplus electrics it came with and made it as simple as possible, it has been totally reliable and totally practical.
Not having it would make as much sense as not having a toilet at home.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 623087

Reply By: garrycol - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 19:57

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2019 at 19:57
I would make sure you get a brand name with good reviews.

I bought one from Big W and it works really well - certainly as good as the brand names - never leaked BUT - when in the vehicle/trailer when underway and it is hot it blows up like a balloon - now it has never popped, or blown the seals but when you see it all puffed up like a puffer fish, there is that nasty thought in the back of my mind of what if it did pop - not a good thought - however it never has and always works great.

garry
AnswerID: 623088

Reply By: Gbc.. - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:04

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:04
I've got a 13 yr old thetford. Still goes like new. Once you get one you'll wonder why you dug all those holes for years. In high use parks (Fraser/D Island etc) they should be compulsory I reckon, they are just too easy to use. At the risk of starting an argument I will add that I have been happily using the oxy action soakers for years as the active ingredient. They activate on contact with the business and degrade to salt water in short order. There are plenty of ways to go with that side of things though.
AnswerID: 623095

Reply By: Iza B - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 16:12

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 16:12
My thoughts after using a porta pottie for some time. Depth from seat to top of flap is important. Face tissue liners prevent skid marks. Never bother with filling the top tank. Lubricate seal to storage tank with Olive Oil, lots. Get a pee bottle to maximise storage capacity. Treat deposits (Number 2s) with desert spoon of Sodium Percarbonate (from the Home Brew shop) plus the wash/flush water. Never use the Sold-for-the-purpose stuff if you don't want stinks. Empty at every dump point you pass (don't pass up an opportunity). A clean porta pottie (bit of bleach and a wipe) is much nicer than a well used long drop and most of the facilities in CPs.

And the biggie - put the cap off the discharge tube well to one side while doing the dumping bit. Trying to recover the cap once it has gone down the big hole is not for the faint hearted.

Iza
AnswerID: 623098

Reply By: George_M - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 19:55

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 19:55
These bits of kit have, until recently, been way outside my comfort zone. Failing knees and a planned trip to the Kimberley have forced me to reconsider.

A question to those who do not tow a trailer: where do you carry your porta potti while travelling - on the roof-rack or inside the vehicle?

Safe travels

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623105

Follow Up By: b1b - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 21:12

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 21:12
using your porta potti whilst on the roof rack may be considered a bit unwise, I assume you are not travelling/driving at this point of usage.
yes I know i'm being silly.
but I think the world needs a bit of comic relief
bruce

FollowupID: 896245

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:00

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:00
Good one, Bruce: that would generate more than a few Youtube videos!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896246

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:02

Thursday, Jan 10, 2019 at 22:02
Very apt title for your thread, Gary!

Some years back, we were heading away somewhere, maybe Kingsborough near Mt Mulligan, and the Boss “suggested” that we purchase a porta potti. I don’t think we needed it for that trip, but I did take it to the Big Red Bash in 2015. And what a luxury it was too!

With 3,500 people at Big Red, and only a toilet trailer & a handful of portaloos, anyone with their own dunny was definitely living comfortably. To walk past these few portaloos in the early morning, think there were 6 or 8, and see lines of people standing, waiting, for their turn was almost humorous.

We bought an Oztrail unit, not much choice in Longreach, but I’d strongly suggest a Thetford. They are about 50mm longer in the seat, which gives a degree of extra comfort for the males using it. Napisan or similar is good to use, or one of the soakers, that uses >30% Sodium Percarbonate.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623110

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 13:38

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 13:38
Many thanks everyone for your informed and useful responses,
Think I'll buy a Thetford.

Anyone want to buy a used Jimmys Thunderbox?
It might be second hand but its still "good for business"

Cheers, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623134

Reply By: Stevemac - Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 18:21

Friday, Jan 11, 2019 at 18:21
Another big ?? for the Thetford. Have an en-suite in the van but if we go off the track and sleep in the back of the car the Thetford does the job. Had one for years and bought a 2nd one, same model, and take the holding tank from it as a back up in case we “fill up” without opportunity to empty. You’ll never look back... well, unless you really want to inspect the goods.
AnswerID: 623141

Sponsored Links