Portable compressor

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 16:04
ThreadID: 137566 Views:13958 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, went looking for a new compressor today. I have a very old arb one that I think will die shortly.
Went to a couple of the 4wd stores and found these.
Mean Mother Adventure 3, 5m house, 5y warranty $329
Airpower Xseries X160, 8m hose, 10y warranty $289
Supercrap Ridge Ryder Ultimate, 5m hose, assume 1y warranty $159.
BCF XTM Jetair, 8m hose, 1 year warranty
$93
Interesting thing, you put these side by side and other than color and brand logos, they are identical. Even all the stats stated on them are the same.
Could anyone tell me would there be anything different with the internals. Ok some have a better warranty that others, I dont do a lot of 4wd to let the tyres down. Big price different for what appears to be the same thing.

Anyone have any info on any of these.

Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 16:40

Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 16:40
I just recently purchased a Thumper Max Dual Air Compressor for $129.00.

For the price I recon you could not do better.
AnswerID: 622667

Follow Up By: Member - Scott & Sally - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:15

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:15
I'm with you Kazza,
The Dual Thumper. Big capacity and throw away and get another at the price if needed. I've had mine for a couple of years now, used it fairly often and not a bit of trouble. I've fitted an air gun and gauge to mine so now it cuts out when not pumping keeping it cooler.
FollowupID: 895743

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:23

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:23
Interested in your comment Scott & Sally
--------------------------------------------- ? --------------------------------------------------
I've fitted an air gun and gauge to mine so now it cuts out when not pumping keeping it cooler.
--------------------------------------------- ? --------------------------------------------------

I have just ordered this Car Vehicle Air Tire Pressure Inflator Gauge Dial Meter Monitoring Teste... . From what you have said, the pump will shut off after releasing the trigger, is this right?

I was actually going to add a remote control relay to turn the pump on and off, if what you say is correct I don't need one.

This is the New DC 12V 10A relay 1CH wireless RF Remote Control Switch Transmitter+... with the relay contacts across the on/off switch.

As I need to reach the caravan tyres, I also grabbed one of the Blackridge Air Hose, Recoil - 1 / 4inch X 50ft so both hoses will get me to the spare on the back of the van.
FollowupID: 895744

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:04

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:04
No Kazza, the compressor will not cut out when you release the trigger on that, or any shut-off valve, unless the compressor is fitted with a pressure switch.
If Scott & Sally's compressor cuts-out then it has a pressure switch.

For the purposes of tyre inflation, there is little point in having the compressor cut out anyway. The "idle period" when moving from one tyre to the next is short and the compressor is unladen. This means that the compressor is free air pumping which generates virtually no heat and the dc current drops to a much lower value than when compressing. Furthermore, the flow of uncompressed air would tend to cool down the already hot compressor.

There is even a subtle benefit from having the air flowing free when the chuck is not on the valve. It ensures that sand/dust will not accidentally lodge in the chuck.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 895746

Follow Up By: Member - Scott & Sally - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 10:55

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 10:55
G'Day Alan
The dual Thumper that I have apparently does have a pressure cut out switch. I only found this out when I fitted the air gun to it. As far as heat goes this thing pumps my tyres up so quick it hardly gets a chance to get hot.
Cheers Scott
FollowupID: 895763

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:13

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:13
Thanks S&S, will try it when my trigger arrives otherwise I still have the remote on/off I can fit or as Allan suggests, just run it with the trigger open.
Gota love this place. :=))
FollowupID: 895764

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 21:18

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 21:18
I have one of these Thumpers too, and it's brilliant. Was as cheap as chips and all my tyres are pumped up whilst my mates have hardly finished one and then I pump up theirs' as well!
FollowupID: 895773

Reply By: Member - Racey - Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 17:47

Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 17:47
Josh check out the 4x4 comparison. Compressor comparison

Cheers
AnswerID: 622669

Reply By: smwhiskey - Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 18:14

Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 18:14
According to a well known 4WD industry identity when I questioned him on that exact subject about 4 or 5 years ago, the internals are slightly different. Even though they all come out of the same factory, some are built to a price and get the cheaper bits while others are built to a standard and get the higher quality parts.

I have no idea how true this statement is given that at the time he was selling a more expensive brand of compressor than his competitors. He may well have been justifying why he was charging more.

I have an ARB one that I'm very happy with and if/when it dies I'll be getting another one. To me its just not the price its the service that goes with it. Although I wouldn't call myself a regular customer(drop by once a year if I'm lucky), my local ARB has looked after me every time.

Simon
AnswerID: 622670

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 20:47

Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 at 20:47
Ditto, I've had an ARB one for the past nine years and it's been faultless. About four years ago I got them to fit it permanently under the bonnet, then moved to under tray on latest vehicle. Still going fine.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895707

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 15:02

Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 15:02
smwhiskey
I doubt if you can believe a 4WD industry identity. It is unlikley the factory which makes the same, same, same, compressors would go to the trouble of making and fitting lesser quality but same sized parts to only some of their same same compressors.

It is highly likely the importers see a possibility to increase price along with claims of being better, knowing full well no one is going to do, or allowed to do, a dismantling check before purchase. Everyone is at their mercy or lack of.

For durability and size/weight reasons I have a CMK12 ARB and use it T hose linked to an old Fire extinguisher for use with an air grease gun and impact gun if required.
FollowupID: 895722

Reply By: mike39 - Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 07:58

Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 07:58
About 3 months ago I purchased the Ridge Ryder ultimate.
Found it to be a very fast pumper but certainly pulls high amperage from the battery. Best to have the vehicle engine running whilst inflating.
Literature with mine indicates an 18 months warranty.
Very happy with the purchase.
mike
AnswerID: 622677

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 08:04

Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 08:04
"Best to have the vehicle engine running whilst inflating."

Recommended for any compressors, they all draw high amps.

Specs look ok, and if on special (like now) not bad value if it's a decent build.
SCA Ridge Ryder Ultimate
FollowupID: 895716

Reply By: Bilal H - Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 14:02

Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 14:02
Big fan of the ARB compressor. I like the fact it can be bolted underneath most seats due to slimline size, as the air tank is adjustable on the single tank version. Not sure about the double tank, but I think they only sell the double if you are also going for the air lockers.
AnswerID: 622680

Reply By: Simon L4 - Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 20:40

Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 20:40
Lots of discussion about compressor recently in this thread

https://www.exploroz.com/forum/137211/wanting-to-buy-12v-air-compressor

AnswerID: 622682

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 08:51

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 08:51
I have repeatedly had friends so called good compressors cut out due to heat on tyre 3 with 3 more to go and my ARB (bought in 2000 for $386) still pump all 6 of my tyres up and do theirs also. My vote for ARB. Remember Quality is quality and crap is crap and never the two shall meet.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622690

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:03

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:03
I paid $150 (show special price) for my Bushranger MaxAir 11 compressor 12 years ago...compressor has several times pumped up 8 large 4wd tyres and 4 X caravan tyres (12 tyres all up) from beach to road pressures one after the other without any heat cut off issues, and couldn't say how many times it's been used doing just my 4wd...i'll happily go same brand again if I ever replace this one.
FollowupID: 895726

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:39

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:39
ARB make crap as well. I have their lockers to prove it.
Just because you paid a heap of money for it doesn't necessarily make it quality.

I keep my ARB comp for lockers and use a Chinese thing for the tires - its over 8 years old and still doing the job. My son has a similar one that's around 7 years old and its still working.
Neither gets looked after too well and neither gets a cool down period while pumping. If one dies then we would use the other but that has not happened yet.
Can get 6 of them for the price of an ARB.

Do a google on compressor comparisons, plenty of them out there. Not everything without an expensive label is crap.
12-volt-air-compressor-comparison
12v-portable-air-compressor-comparison
FollowupID: 895727

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 21:59

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 21:59
Most of the ARB air locker issues come down to poor instalation.
Hardly a ARB fault.
You do need to give them credit where its due.
Oil up the line was a poorly designed o ring or over time... perish
Which will happen to anything in a hot environment.
I have replaced the old o ring design with new design
Not an issue since.
At least they actually fix issues on some of their products with new designed fix such as the o ring

The one way valve was a patch fix they did sell

But i just done cape york and wanted a strip down and vehicle check over
Fixed it while on the hoist ?
Replacing the seal is super quick too

I have also had the crank bolt on the new arb compressor fail
Of which LONG out of warranty !!!
ARB warrantied the work without asking for proof of purchase or what i used the compressor for.
Fixed for free
No hassle or a fight
Very very easy to deal with on that one !
Cant ask for more than that

But i will say , their leaf spring setup is very poorly designed
As ive had 3 leaf spring failures in 3 years or less.
FollowupID: 895756

Reply By: Greg A6 - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:01

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:01
I decided that my next compressor would have to last forever, so I got one of these at $368.
AnswerID: 622692

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 17:05

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 17:05
Seen several Renegade compressors owned by mates die at a fairly early age on jobsites I've worked on over the years.....no idea if those smaller ones are similar quality to thier big brothers or not though.
FollowupID: 895737

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:43

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:43
Josh, do a Google search on compressor comparisons, plenty of them out there.

The second link here covers the SCA unit with good results..
12-volt-air-compressor-comparison
12v-portable-air-compressor-comparison
AnswerID: 622693

Reply By: David I1 - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 21:49

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 21:49
If you are really serious about this then a Viair compressor attached to to a 9-18ltr tank is the way to go. The claimed output of all the models mentioned here are based on no load (ie 150 ltrs per minute) with at best a 25% duty cycle. With my set up I can pump up 4 tyres in the time the ones mentioned here pump up 2 at best. Mine also is able to run rattle guns and air equipment. As I have road tyres and offroad wheels for my vehicle, changing 4 tyres is like your are at a tyre shop. Mind you my set up is not as cheap, but its a lot quicker.
AnswerID: 622709

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:22

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:22
Hi Josh,

I have been using a Projecta Typhoon twin cylinder compressor for some time and it performed satisfactorily, but not without fault. (see below)
However when I fitted an ARB Diff Locker it came with their small compressor so I added a hose outlet to that to also act as a second (spare) tyre compressor.

I then decided to compare the two compressors for tyre inflation. Admittedly, the Typhoon had done a bit of work but I was surprised to find that the little ARB performed identically to the Typhoon when inflating a tyre from 18 to 40 psi.

So, as others have said, ARB produce good compressors, even if a bit expensive.

As to the Typhoon fault..... one day it stopped dead. I pulled it apart and found that a wire to the brush holder had detached. I was able to effect a repair in the field but it could have created a difficult situation for someone without my experience.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622717

Sponsored Links