GPS linked maps

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:36
ThreadID: 137556 Views:2616 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I think it was that genuine desert explorer, Mick Olsen, who used maps linked to GPS so he could see over the next dune.

Can anyone recommend a system that utilises the latest maps via a GPS linked tablet? Something inexpensive that doesn't require costly updates or long period of learning to use it?

I was at the abandoned Bandya shearing sheds near Laverton, WA, and was faced with four tracks not accurately represented on my GeoScience paper maps.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:44

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 12:44
The ExplorOz Traveller App is great and does not lock you into a proprietary device.Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622616

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 21:28

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 21:28
It does lock you into a single proprietary map though - which may or may not suit your needs. First step to choosing a mapping program is to detemine if the maps it lets you use are what you require (plus other considerations such as data import/export). Some other apps (eg Oziexplorer) let you use a variety of maps (air photos, geology, vegetation, topo etc etc) - others don't or make it hard and you are stuck with what they think you may like.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 895640

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 14:09

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 14:09
Just had a look on my Garmin/OzTopo which is normally pretty good Rodney.
Only multi track intersection shown is around 6km East going to Corner Well.
Spent a bit of time up there myself. ( Duketon)
Good water at McKenzie well.
Dave.
AnswerID: 622618

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 10:27

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 10:27
My conclusion is that every map "brand/series" seems to be wrong at some point. When we went through NW Australia last year I had 5 different map sets - including ExplorOz, Hema, Wesprint & the government topos (GDA & WA state maps). At various points they all disagreed. It's not a huge issue in populated areas but things go wonky in the more remote areas.

I use the ExplorOz app and Memory Map. If the real world didn't match the map I was using I'd take a look at all the others until I found something that looked ok...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 622632

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:59

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:59
I use OziExplorer on an Android Tablet, my phone, PC and a GPS. Have Natmaps, Hema Maps, Westprint Maps, etc. Have 50k maps for some areas.

I have not used the ExploreOz program so I cannot comment on it.

I am very happy with OziExplorer.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622721

Sponsored Links