Current track conditions- David Carnegie and/or the Hunt Oil Rd

Hello Everyone,

We are currently sitting at Yardie Creek Station WA and in 12-14 days will be in the area of these two roads looking to get onto the Gt Central Rd, from there we head south on the Connie Sue and then home.

We have permits to cover our travels, however are currently looking at these roads as alternatives to travelling via the Gunbarrel/Heather Hwy. Has anyone travelled these roads recently or are the comments noted in the trek section on Exploreoz still relevant.
We are well set up in terms of gear for such terrain.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to offer.
Rgds
Rob
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 20:09

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 20:09
Drove Connie Sue, David Carnegie, Gary Hwys from Cocklebuddy to well 33 mid June.
All quite slow with detours around washouts, some general corrugated / rough patches, and sometimes encroaching vegetation.
Spinifex was quite bad, needing regular 2-3 hr stops to clear out the undercarriage etc.
We camped at Geraldton bore (nth end of Hunt Oil Rd, it looked very overgrown.
We covered a little of Gunbarrel on that part between DC and Gary, was corrugated but manageable at ‘right’ speed.
You aren’t towing ?
AnswerID: 620784

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 20:18

Monday, Aug 20, 2018 at 20:18
Thanks Les,

Yes we are both towing Tvans. On the basis of what you have said it seems we have a good option.

Thanks again.

Rob
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620785

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 21:39

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2018 at 21:39
The Hunt is apparently fairly well hedged and overgrown this year. Slow going but OK if you're not on a time frame.

I came off the Connie Sue last week and it is its usual schizophrenic nature, corrugated, washed out, fantastic, corrugated then sandy and occasionally rocky oh, and then corrugated. What you'd expect really.

The DCR has been getting progressively worse for years so it's a slow, rugged drive (I do love it though).

My personal Choice.....the Hunt. If you elect to do the Connie Sue, make sure you allow the time to visit all the side attractions like Point Sandercock, Point Lillian etc etc. Don't drive past the opportunities. They will reward you tenfold.

Safe travels, Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620806

Reply By: Member - Darwin Dave - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:32

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:32
Hi,

Dave has just come down David Carnegie, approx. 15km in the ridge country the old track is washed out but new tracks made then sandy smooth travelling. The spinifex on track is now mowed down.

Regards,
Helen

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620816

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 17:45

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 17:45
LOL, I think my trans cross member schythed off much of that :)
FollowupID: 893273

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 19:56

Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 at 19:56
Thanks everyone for your replies. We are back in Newman now to restock then head of via Rudall River, to the Gary Hwy which we head down to connect with the Gunbarrel then explore the option referred to in your replies.

Thanks again, and we are really enjoying the weather, especially on hearing the forecast for home!

Safe travels everyone.

Rob
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620885

Sponsored Links