Camooweal to Lawn Hill Route and Conditions

Submitted: Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 15:48
ThreadID: 137118 Views:7851 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I will be heading to Lawn Hill from Camooweal in about a week and unsure of the best route to take. The plan is to take the Gregory Downs Camooweal Road and then travel via Riversleigh. There also looks to be another option to travel to Thorntonia from the Barkly Highway at Inca Creek and then continue as planned via Riversleigh. The other options involve travelling a long way east first so too many k’s. Has anyone travelled this recently and have any thoughts? Pajero towing a camper trailer on return leg from Gibb River Road and Bungle Bungles trip so have done a few rough k’s so far. Thanks.

Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozi M - Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 16:07

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 16:07
I drove the Gregory Downs to Riversleigh turn off part of this road last year.
It was awful, easily the worst "gravel highway" I have been on ever. It had all been graded when laid but it was made up of fine dirt/sand and sharp rocks about 150mm in size.
Traffic had removed a lot of the sand leaving the sharp edges protruding up in the air and this is what we had to travel on.
We crept over it (at 20-30k) expecting to cut a tyre at any time, we were very glad to see the Riversleigh turn off. The road from there to Adels Grove was a typical gravel road and no problems.
Hopefully someone has been there this year and can give you a more up to date report.
AnswerID: 620681

Follow Up By: Gazza70 - Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 17:57

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 17:57
Traveled this road in April this year and would categorically agree with the above comment! Did meet the grader on the Camooweal side about 40km in! Very slow and no damage,Thank God!
FollowupID: 893141

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 16:58

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 16:58
I’ve not been up to Gregory for a while but if travelling from Camooweal I’d definitely travel down the Barkly Highway to the turnoff near Inca Ck. It’s only about 65kms. Bit of bitumen up that way too. Some good scenery along there as well.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620683

Reply By: Member - Penski - Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 17:27

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 17:27
Thanks Bob and Ozi. Seems like I now have a plan.

Regards, Ron
AnswerID: 620684

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 18:08

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 18:08
I drove the Bungle Bungles road this year, comparing the two I would say that the Bungles road had a better surface but was Much windier.

I am not sure if you have driven it yet but if not then follow the recommended time for it.

Take your time, especially when towing, I have seen properly set up rigs break things on that road plus many people just creep along and there are many blind corners and crests.

If your doing 60k and they are doing 30k you will have very little time to avoid them

Probably my two worst roads and you are doing them both in the one trip !!
FollowupID: 893142

Follow Up By: Member - Penski - Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 18:30

Monday, Aug 13, 2018 at 18:30
Did the Bungles a few days ago. It was a shocker. Took us a couple of hours to get out. Some very unsafe driving going on including a fool with a child about 10 years old hanging outside the car window to the waist. It was the talk of the gathering at the tyre pump up area. Some people have no idea.
FollowupID: 893143

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 08:31

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 08:31
I don't know what it is with that road into the Bungles, but it seems to attract people who drive like that!
FollowupID: 893151

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 09:30

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 09:30
Hi Penski,

Just read a post on the Camooweal road on another website, they were there a month ago.

They towed a van on the Camooweal road, when they got to Camooweal all there plumbing was smashed, water tanks, grey water tanks and mains pressure piping all stuffed.

It would seem it is still a pile of rocks.
FollowupID: 893152

Follow Up By: Member - Penski - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 17:36

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 17:36
Kevin, I saw even worse today in Litchfield NP heading into Lost City. Two rental 4WD’S with roof racks. The first with two young boys on top and the second with two young girls on top. They were driving to maximise the bumps and no doubt the “fun”.
FollowupID: 893154

Reply By: braincell - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 14:13

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2018 at 14:13
did it a couple of years ago coming south then turned down the Thorntonia road then to Mt Isa.It was terrible ,just rocks and more rocks .Sounds like it hasn't changed .No damage ,just slow going .
AnswerID: 620690

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 22:16

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2018 at 22:16
This is the way we went. A few years ago now, and more of it has been sealed.

Those who took the Gregory Downs Road north from Camooweal found it bad. We took the Yelverton Road which was sealed. The road past Thorntonia was sealed in patches with road works progressing. The Riverseigh Road was a good unsealed road at the time, with two or three water crossings on narrow concrete causeways with shallow water flowing over.

See My Blog
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 620710

Follow Up By: Member - Penski - Thursday, Aug 16, 2018 at 07:10

Thursday, Aug 16, 2018 at 07:10
Thanks for that. That is definitely the way I will go. On the return I will just use the Developmental Roads to Cloncurry as we will be heading back to Brisbane.
FollowupID: 893168

Reply By: Member - Penski - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 19:34

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2018 at 19:34
Just following up as I enjoy my first night at Lawn Hill. I used the route as planned and in Motherhens map above. Compared to where I have driven recently it was a great drive in. There was a good amount of bitumen, much of the gravel road was like a highway and there were some rocky or lightly corrugated sections. It seems like there has been recent grading. The last 7.5k into the NP were the worst. It was easy to maintain 60 to 80 on all the gravel and I did drop my tyre pressures. The only anxious moments were two causeways at Riversleigh. Very slippery and one flowing quite quickly but neither very deep. I did feel the steering let go for a few moments. There was very little traffic on this route
AnswerID: 620831

Sponsored Links