Track Report - Balgo to Kiwirrkurra Track

Submitted: Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 19:16
ThreadID: 136958 Views:2712 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We completed this track 5th July 2018
I'll do this in sections from Balgo down.
Balgo to the abandon tower is a half decent track with mild corrugations. There is an aviation fuel dump with Jeta-1 fuel at the tower so I assume the road has some use
Tower to the Yanga Yanga gate is fairly corrugated but not to bad.
The gate to the the abandoned Yang Yanga village is the best bit of road on the whole trip being smooth and flat with no corrugations till just before the village.
After Yanga Yanga the road turns into a goat track that is corrugated with moderate to major errosion and a lot of diversions. It is also very narrow with a fair proportion lined with bushes both alive and dead that hit everything on our Dmax even with the mirrors in. The condition deteriorates the further south you go with a few very rough and steep creek crossings. There also a few steep, erroded descents off some raised rocky areas. We struggled to get 30-40kph on the good bits. After you pass the tank with the bath the track starts to improve but is still very narrow all the way to Lake MacKay.
The track around the lake is fairly rough and undulating but does have some good sections and this continues all the way to the turnoff to the mine.
From the mine to Kiwirrkurra the track is a mixed bag. It is generally good but there are a lot of very soft sandy sections and some rough rocky sections. All the sand dune crossings have been capped with clay and gravel so they present no problems. We towed a trailer and if anyone wanted to do the same I'd suggest on with good articulation at the hitch. Also be aware that the track does deviate from what is marked on the map in a few places.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 19:28

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 19:28
Hi Ivan

Sounds like you had a great time out there.

You should put some images up so we can all envoy your trip.....lol

What maps were you referring to as all maps that I have studied show no tracks at all in many parts of the drive. Even the latest EOTopo shows not tracks in the central section.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620064

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 20:23

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 20:23
EOTopo. Even some of the tracks marked are different.

FollowupID: 892383

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 21:09

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 21:09
Thanks for that Ivan.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892385

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2018 at 19:09
Map inconsistency. Dark line is the actual path.

And this is the bit that is missing.

AnswerID: 620090

Sponsored Links