Smev oven igniter stuck on!

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 06:40
ThreadID: 136948 Views:3916 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I just purchased a caravan privately and when I hooked it up to mains power the gas ignighter inside the smev oven constantly sparks until I turn the power off. I’ve tried turning the knob etc. anyone know how to fix? Thank you!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 09:57

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 09:57
Only the obvious, check wiring, if switch pull the switch out and see what's wrong with it. Not really that much help I'm afraid.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 620014

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 10:52

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 10:52
Ahh, Jacent - isn't the oven brand, "Smeg", not Smev?

The basic problem is usually dirty igniters. Give the igniter a good clean to remove the cooked-on material that is making it spark continually.

Here's a video of an American fixing his stovetop igniter. Not the same brand, but possibly the identical cause for your problem.

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 620017

Follow Up By: jacent 1 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 03:46

Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 03:46
Hi Ron thanks for the reply, it is actually a smev not smeg brand apparently made for RV and marine. So the issue is only the one inside the oven that lights the griller. I’ll have a look at the video, although this oven doesn’t look like it’s ever been used so I doubt it’s dirty but you never know?
FollowupID: 892357

Reply By: Zippo - Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 11:00

Sunday, Jul 08, 2018 at 11:00
On our mains-ignition gas wall ovens, the igniter continues to spark until the FLAME MONITOR indicates there is actual ignition. The flame monitor on the older one was a wire probe into the flame zone, and a couple of times required tweaking its position to achieve correct sensing. (Haven't been allowed to pull the new one apart yet, it isn't even a week old!).

May not be related to your issue, but worth a look?
AnswerID: 620036

Follow Up By: jacent 1 - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 06:32

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 06:32
The issue is that without even wanting to use the oven at all, the minute I plug the van into power the oven igniter starts sparking on its own and won’t stop regardless of the knob position. So I have to leave the power off until I figure it out.
FollowupID: 892372

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 20:06

Monday, Jul 09, 2018 at 20:06
Jacent - Here's some more discussions around constantly-clicking stove or oven ignitors.

Fixya - Gas hob - constant ignition problem

It seems like the two main sources of problems are a sticky ignitor switch, which actually stays on after it's released - or excessive moisture in the ignitor itself.

I'm hazarding a guess, an oven ignitor has much less chance of getting moisture in it, as a stove hob ignitor would - so maybe the answer is in the sticky switch mechanism.

I'm a little puzzled as to why the ignitor cranks up as soon as the power is switched on.

Most ignitors I've seen are piezo-electric (just pressing the button gives a piece of special crystal a whack, which produces the spark) - and they don't require electric power to operate.

Do you have a Smev manual anywhere, that might have come with the 'van? - or can you find one online (usually located on the manufacturers website) - which might shed some light on ignitor troubleshooting.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 620065

Sponsored Links