Darwin to Adelaide

Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 17:37
ThreadID: 136899 Views:2871 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In mid July I will be travelling from Darwin to Adelaide via road on my way back to Melbourne. I am looking for suggestions for overnight stays, as well as places to avoid. Sight seeing will be minimal along the route (mainly breaks or at nightly destination) as the trip is purely a drive backto Melbourne.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 18:37

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 18:37
Need a bit more info for people to be able to help you properly.....
You don't say if you want somewhere to camp or want accomodation? Do you want toilets, showers or none of the above as you are self sufficient?
How far do you want to drive each day, 500klms or 1000klms and how many days are you taking between Darwin and Adelaide?
AnswerID: 619790

Follow Up By: Patrol GU VI - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 14:00
I will be towing a camper and have a swag on board as well, so any camping/caravan/Roadhouse style camping willbe what I am looking for. Toilets would be referred and showers optional.

Will be only driving day light hours, but full days driving with a few breaks. Somewhere between 700 - 1000 kms per day, depending on the destination.

Safe places/towns are what I will be looking for as I will be on my own. Particularly interested in places to avoid.
FollowupID: 892129

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 16:27

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 16:27
I doubt that where ever you camp that you will be alone at that time of travel , although some of the more popular places will fill up by early afternoon.

With your stated preferences I would aim for:
Banka Banka - showers, toilets & grass camping.
Stuarts Well - free camp dirt area next to the roadhouse so toilets, showers and meals but does have a relatively noisy generator but we've tented there.
Glendambo - campground with toilets, showers and meals.
After that we're either in Cowell on Eyre Peninsula or Adelaide so can't help further on.
Honourable mentions are also Devils Marbles (fills early though), Kulgera, Marla roadhouse campground (quite average), Pimba aka Spuds Roadhouse.
FollowupID: 892131

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 18:36

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 18:36
A stopover at Edith Falls, north of Katherine would be well worthwhile if it fits your intinerary. Pleasant camping with showers & toilets & great swimming in the upper & lower pools. Turn off is on eastern side of the highway about 45kms north of Katherine, & about 20 minutes drive (on bitumen) to the campground. If you haven't been there before you wont regret it .
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619801

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jun 26, 2018 at 20:14
Quote - "as well as places to avoid"

General rule - if you are staying in or near a community then go for a regular caravan park. If you are more than 3 km form a town/community then you should be safe in any camp site listed in WikiCamps. If you don't get company by 4 PM and you don't feel safe then move on to a site where there are others.

Get a copy of WikiCamps (available on iOS, Android and Win 10.) Divide tour trip up and calculate the average driving distances per day. Then massage your stages to accommodate geed sounding camp spots in WikiCamps.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619804

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 23:07

Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 23:07
Along the Stuart Highway, highway rest areas get packed out early. Not where or how we would like to stay. We always found places well away from the highway and had privacy. We did not need toilets or power.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619877

Sponsored Links