Place Comment: Kulgera Finke Rd & Lambert Centre Tk

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 15:18
ThreadID: 136887 Views:3855 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have information about conditions on the road spur up to Lamberts Centre? Or the road between there and Kulgera? Thx in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 15:25

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 15:25
Kulgera Finke Rd is a typical outback road. Great after it's graded, corrugated most other times. Last time we drove it we sat on 90
AnswerID: 619765

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 17:21

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 17:21
Hi Candace

The track into the Lambert Centre is a nice little drive and allow around 30 minutes for the drive in.

Years ago in was just a two wheel one way track, but now there are 2 seperate tracks that sometime run parallel to each other.

Due to the spot now being very popular, there is even a long drop toilet and lots of cleared spots if you wish to camp there.

The main road from Finke to Kulgera is usually in very good condition and you will be able to sit comfortably on 80 kph, but make sure that you slow down for corners and keep an eye out for any oncoming dust, as the locals drive quite fast and usually sit on around 110 kph and will shower you with stones if you are not on your guard and slow right down.

Have a great time.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619767

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 20:09

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 20:09
Stephen,

Thanks for the detailed response! Unfortunately, I won't make it there this time, but hopefully during a future visit I can get out there.
FollowupID: 892099

Reply By: Rob A2 - Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 13:16

Monday, Jun 25, 2018 at 13:16
We plan on taking a group into there on mid August and at the moment are getting very mixed feedback on the condition of the track from the road into Lambert Centre.

I've driven this track several times but it changes all the time particularly after rain which there has been a bit out that way recently.

So I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done it within say the last four weeks if possible thanks

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619784

Follow Up By: Jon W (Toow - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2018 at 07:28

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2018 at 07:28
Hi Rob. We went into the centre on the June long weekend along with many others. Kulgera to the turn off was excellent. Access track very slow going with severe corrugations and some soft sand patches. We took 40 min to get in. No dramas apart from the last 500 m which is very narrow and only one vehicle wide. Passing oncoming vehicles on this section requires patience. IMHO it would not take too much rain to close this track. At times there are parallel tracks. About 1 km in this is the case but for several hundred metres the westernmost track is deeply gouged and to be avoided. For the last 2 km approximately you are actually heading south which might cause some doubt but you get there eventually. Jon
FollowupID: 892137

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 10:33

Friday, Jun 29, 2018 at 10:33
Just back from driving from Finke to Kulgera - road is in great condition, we sat on 90-100 all the way without any problems.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619859

Sponsored Links