Lawn Hill. NP

Submitted: Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 06:32
ThreadID: 136882 Views:2849 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have just returned from a 6300 km trek up the east coast from Coffs Harbour to Mareeba across to Normanton Karumba Burketown then my ultimate destination Lawnhill NP.

I would like to thank all those members who contributed when i was preparing for my trip. The place is a must go to. Adele Grove campsites are brilliant, I used the trailer site $18 a night.
The NP sites about 10 kms away were exposed and not as pleasant a situation as Adele.

Take plenty of fuel as its is on the other side of $1.90 a litre.

Also I must comment again on the ExplorOz Traveller App it is a ABSOLUTE must if you want to take everthing in and stay in the know to what is around you.

Thanks to all and Michelle.
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 07:52

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 07:52
Hi Tony

Great to hear you had a great time.

Now you can see why it should be on every Australian's bucket list of places to visit and stay.

You can now also see why we prefer Adels Grove over staying at the sites in the National Park.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619750

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 16:31

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 16:31
Been 25yrs since I've been, but we preferred the NP sites......but looking at google earth, the NP area seems a bit different to when we went.
FollowupID: 892064

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 16:38

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 16:38
i Gronk

The only trouble with staying at Boodjamulla is it is very regimental and you must pre book your site in advance and can not just turn up and set up camp where you like.

We witness a situation when one person had just done that, and when the person who had paid for that site turned up, the freeloader was not going to move hell or high water. Typical of the situation, there was not one Ranger in sight and the chap that paid for the site ended up up going back to Adels Grove to camp.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892066

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:04

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:04
Yep, can understand. Very anti NP these days because of their "system". The easiest system they had yrs ago was a billboard at the entrance to several parks which listed the site numbers and dates of when people were booked. Find a vacant site and pay when the ranger came around. Or pay in advance if you wished.
Still wouldn't stop the ignorant people from camping where they like, but at least it was written clearly if they wanted to argue ignorance.
FollowupID: 892072

Follow Up By: glenmac - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:51

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:51
My first visit to the park was in 1989 and have been back another 7 times since. In fact leaving on Friday for my 8th visit and have stayed at Adels Grove 6 out of the 8 visits. When we first visited we camped at the NP and it was magnificent. Clean fully grassed sites right next to the water. Adele Grove is now our preferred location due to the NP booking processes. At least I know we have a site booked at Adels Grove and won't risk someone taking the site.
Glenmac
FollowupID: 892091

Reply By: Member - Penski - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:24

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:24
Hi Tony. We will be heading there ourselves soon. When you say camper trailer site is that on the lower level but outside the grove? Also, is launching a BYO kayak easy enough at Adels Grove?
AnswerID: 619763

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:40

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 09:40
We were last there a couple of years ago and we were able to put our CT up inside what I considered the Grove. Larger caravans were probably too big and if you wanted to use a generator or solar you needed to be up in the more open area.
I couldn't see lauching a kayak to be a problem proviided you can carry it easily enough, from memory there wereabout a dozen wide but reasonably steep wooden steps to negotiate.

Mark
FollowupID: 892073

Follow Up By: Member - TonyL2450 - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 16:15

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 16:15
Hi Penski
Yes,there is provision for launching canoes at Adele.
Also the better place (10kms away) is the NP and you are encouraged to use your own and the paddling and scenery is magnificent.
If you hire Adele's you pay $54 for 2 hours.
The Camper trailer area approx 10 sites, is above the Grove with your own fire place and some sites have a tap (bore water)
Hauling canoes down from the camp trailer area is about 300 metres. But you can leave them on the vehicle and drive.
Don't miss Gregory River under the bridge if you are coming from that direction for a swim and float down the river. There is a free camp there.
Enjoy
FollowupID: 892079

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 17:42

Saturday, Jun 23, 2018 at 17:42
Hi Penkski

The better location is to launch your kayak is at Boodjamulla where it is an launch from the bank, but you will have to carry your kayak around 200 metres from the carpark.

If you launch from Adels Grove, you will be limited to the small gorge section there, and there are some quite steep steps down to the water, that will make a hard job of getting your kayak back out after your paddle.

It is a top spot and make sure that you do all the hikes in Boodjamulla, as they are very rewarding, with unreal views over the gorges.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 892080

Sponsored Links