Tanami Road Conditions June 2018

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 09:50
ThreadID: 136877 Views:8322 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have just come off the Tanami on the 21st June... We started from the Alice Springs end through to Halls Creek. Probably best to give a description of the road conditions in sections. From the end of the bitumen to Yuendumu is pretty rough (16kms). From Yuendumu to the Gold mine is good in patches but does have its rough patches, from the Gold Mine to Balgo is very good. After Balgo to Halls Creek it got progressively worse, especially from Wolfe Creek to the T Junction.

Its corrugated all the way but we handled it okay.. Out outfit is a Ford Ranger towing a 18.5 Jayco Outback Expanda. We lowered our Tyre Pressures to 28lbs and drove to conditions.. Speed - anywhere from 40kmh to 90kmh. Spent 1 night at Renahans Bore.
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Ozi M - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:58

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 10:58
thank you for that report, I intend to do the Tanami next winter so I have filed it, highly likely the same sections will be good and bad

I visited Wolfe CK in May and found it OK, so I should be right to do the lot next year
AnswerID: 619724

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:22

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 20:22
Hi Ozi M

Are you saying that they have graded the road into Wolf Creek?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892046

Follow Up By: Ozi M - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 15:24

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 15:24
No Stephen, they haven't graded WC track, it is still good in places and awful in other, about one third each of good, bad and ugly

I was referring more to the Tanami Track part of the journey, as I will be doing all of the TT next year
FollowupID: 892062

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 16:23

Friday, Jun 22, 2018 at 16:23
Hi Ozi

The Tanami Track is a great road to travel and just drive to the conditions and you should not have any problems at all.

There are some very interesting things to see along the way and I recon that the best place to camp along there is the large area a few kilometres before you get to Billiluna Aboriginal Community.

Enjoy the drive.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 892063

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:37

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018 at 18:37
Thanks. We'll be on it in a week
AnswerID: 619738

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 21:32

Sunday, Jun 24, 2018 at 21:32
There's every chance the majority of the Western Australian section of the Tanami Road will soon get a major upgrade (within 3 years) to highway status, with the proposed Agrimin, Lake Mackay Potash Project.

If this project reaches fruition (and it appears it has a 99% chance of success), the Westernmost section of the Tanami Road will most likely be upgraded to road-train capability, to enable the regular shipment by road train, of the Lake Mackay potash, to Wyndham Port.

The scheduled Agrimin development timetable would see the Westernmost section of the Tanami track upgraded to road train standard by approximately mid-2021.
Their projections indicate around 15 road trains a day on the road between Wyndham and Lake Mackay.

Lake Mackay Potash Project - ABC News

Agrimin Investor Presentation - June 2018 (see map on Page 6)

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619779

Sponsored Links