Milparinka - Historic Precinct

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:12
ThreadID: 136853 Views:2558 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Many will be familiar with this "town from the past" situated in the Corner Country.

I am just back from a three-week stint as volunteer Information Person / Caretaker at the Milparinka visitor information centre.

The centre is run by the Milparinka Heritage and Tourism Association.

I met many people during my stay, and most people who visited the centre appreciated that the old sandstone buildings are being preserved and house local history information.

As an observation, it seems many by-pass this gem of a place as they travel from Broken Hill to Tibooburra, or vice-versa - but do yourself a favour if you are out that way, stop by and perhaps even spend the night ($10 per vehicle) and enjoy a magnificent sunset from the Albert Hotel with a beverage of your choice.

You can read some more about it in a blog I wrote,

"A golden experience, whispers from the past in the Corner Country".

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Greg J1 - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:21

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:21
Thanks for that Baz. I’m heading down that way in a few weeks.

Went to Tibooburra about 10 years ago and have always regretted not going to depot glen and Poole’s cairn while we were there. So it’s time to go and have a look. Sandstone buildings have always appealed to me. We will certainly check Milparinka out.

Cheers Greg

AnswerID: 619623

Reply By: Nacho - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 16:12

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 16:12
Good to see the pub is still going. When we were last there in 2015 I think it had recently re-opened.....Had a couple of drinks in the bar but got the feeling we were keeping someone up....nice area.
AnswerID: 619625

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 17:24

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 17:24
We were there around the same time on a tagalong and had a meal at the pub. Very enjoyable and nothing was too much trouble for the proprietors.

We camped a couple of nights down on the creek bank. Well worth the visit.
FollowupID: 891895

Reply By: Phil - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 15:44

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 15:44
We were there about 10 years ago. Stayed at Tibooburra and explored the region before going on to Cammerons Corner and to Innaminka. To anyone interested in Australian history and explorers it is an interesting area.
Regards Phil

AnswerID: 619639

Sponsored Links