Connie Sue with a Van??

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 20:36
ThreadID: 136836 Views:3952 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all. Thinking of going from Warburton south along the 850 km Connie Sue to hit the tar on the Eyre Hwy. Towing a 1.4 tonne Goldstream RV. Have trawled thru various trip reports and cant find any doing it with a van. Some campers and only 200 vehicles in a year. Sounds remote. Just what I need. Have done Cape York, Mitchell Falls, GRR, Googs Tk, eastern Anne Beadell Simpson Rig Rd and Canning Wells 5 to 22 with vans and/or camper so have experience.
The main problem will be dunes. If they are less size than ABH then I should get through................ W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:07

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:07
Sand dunes would not be a problem. Track is rough in spots and forget about it if wet. Navigation south of Rawlinna is tricky. Take it easy and drive to the conditions and you should be OK.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619538

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 22:04

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 22:04
Chris

What are you doing on here........

You should be packing your car....

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891825

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 22:07

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 22:07
I know, I know, I know. But it is far to cold to be outside at this time of night.
I plan to leave home Sunday.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891826

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:35
Friends of ours tried a few years ago with their 16' narrow tracking Phoenix caravan. All good until they broke an axle on the caravan. A saga of failed recoveries occurred, and in the end they had to get themselves back to Kalgoorlie.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619540

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:53

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:53
Thanks MH. Just looked at Phoenix website and all 4 models are dual axle. i.e big and heavy. Maybe too big for the Connie. Interested about the broken axle- 50 mm steel snapped or some shackle or part of the independent set up? Had a few sagas ourselves over the years. LOL....... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891830

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:12

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:12
The current Phoenix is nothing like the original, built as the first real Australian off roader by the Davidson family, then the business was sold, but the next people went bust some years down the track. The name was bought by present manufacturer, but there the resemblance ends.

Our friend had dual axle on their custom build, otherwise they would never have got home.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891832

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:55

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:55
Hi Warrie

With the right setup, nothing is impossible.

Having said that, the last time we were on it it had really changes since our first visit only 5 years earlier.

There is a section around the Mackenzie Breakaway where it is very corrugated, and then quite bad for the 100 kilometres or so down to Neale Junction. From there south it is a super highway, as it is the main road where they bring fuel from Kalgoorlie through to Ilkurlka Roadhouse on the Anne Beadell.

There are lots of great things to see along the drive including the great Aboriginal Rock Paintings at Point Lilian and the detour into Neales Breakaway is a must.

There are 2 way to get down to the Eyre Highway from Rawlinna, so if you let me know which way you want to go I can give you further details.

The two times on the Connie Sue, we can say we never saw any other vehicles at all, with the exception of Neale Junction, when other vehicles came in for the night along the Anne Beadell.

It is a fantastic drive and well worth it.

Also if you are into history, it is worth getting hold of this Book.."Do Not Yield to Despair" about the explorations of Frank Hann through this area.

Cheers

Stephen

ps

as usual here are some images of the Connie Sue and another reason why we just love the Great Victoria Desert.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619542

Follow Up By: Member - sweetwill - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:15

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:15
Thank you Stephen for the pictures, not owning a 4x4 at the moment it is the only way to really see it.
FollowupID: 891829

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 13:20

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 13:20
Stephen,

Many thanks for your great photos. You have a really good eye for what makes this country so appealing.

My sketchy photographic record tells me I was there in April 2007 - before decent cameras on phones.

I guess I'll just have to re-visit.

Bob
FollowupID: 891910

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 13:28

Sunday, Jun 17, 2018 at 13:28
Hi Bob

Thanks for that and yes, it is very special country indeed.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891911

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 14:24

Saturday, Jul 07, 2018 at 14:24
Warrie, did it in full some weeks ago, as well as David Carnigie and Gary Hwys.

If the van and tug are ok you could do it driving to the conditions, I warn you it will be slow, and pinstripping galore, and some branch trimming may be required.
AnswerID: 620023

Sponsored Links