trip to W.A. Southern Area

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 15:10
ThreadID: 136835 Views:2689 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody give me some advice timing to visit the Southern part of W.A. We are thinking Feb,Mar,Apr. Traveling in a caravan and would prefer to free camp. What is the weather doing around this time of year. Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 16:05
HI Muzza,
Summer is a wonderful time in southern WA. At your proposed travel time, you'll miss the school holiday peak period so you should be fine. Have you got our app ExplorOz Traveller? This details locations of free camps, and traveller-recommend POIs that you'll find invaluable for your trip. You can also use the Places section in this website - click Menu, scroll down and click Places. Then click MAP and enlarge/use the zoom controls to view areas of interest. All the map data that you see here is in the ExplorOz Traveller app (with free updates) - all the coloured dots are clusters of Places that are POIs - these are interactive symbols on the map to show you more info about places to camp, things to see. If you are specifically only wanting to view free camps, you can do that from the Places home screen and selecting Browse by Place Type - select Camps & Accomm. The green tent icon on the map indicates Free camps. Click these to see what facilities are available, photos, reviews etc.

Also SW WA is a huge area and encompasses so much to see. You can explore a wide diversity of areas from beautiful beaches, rugged coastline, sandy 4WD tracks, to dense forests with tall trees, and rugged mountain ranges. Some areas offer low-cost bush camping such as in the National Park areas, not many of these are free sites any more however, most of the free sites will be roadside rest areas. Just a warning - some of the most spectacular camp areas are inside the National Parks AND require booking - Lucky Bay at Cape Le Grand for example can be booked out a year ahead. So start your planning now.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619526

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:43

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 21:43
Even the south west can get hot, but if you hug the south coast, it shouldn't be too bad. You will miss the school holidays when all camps and caravan parks get filled. February and March tend to be more humid so our worst months, April usually variable and overall pleasant. The countryside is not at its prettiest, as once away from the coast it is parched and dry. You will find more free camps inland than near the coast.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619541

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:05

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:05
Coming from Katherine in the NT I found it bloody cold, especially at night. Take some warm clothing with you. Great area and I loved it.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619548

Reply By: Paul E6 - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 20:46

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 20:46
Yeah, summer is a great time in WA- if you like stinkin hot. Also, much stingey-er with the free camps than in the east.
AnswerID: 619566

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 22:25

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 22:25
If you don't expect a lot of free camps along the coast, Western Australia is open and heaps of places to stop for the night - far better than the more populated eastern states.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891851

Sponsored Links