LPG removal legalities

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 15:27
ThreadID: 136824 Views:12510 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Forumites,

My mate has a Gq patsy which is currently unregistered.

It has a backyard LPG job installed and to be honest i have no idea how it was approved. The wiring is a rats nest and there are dodgy grounds unsecure wires and frayed wires everywhere also nothing is in coduit amongst other very bad pratices.

The car has a signed mod plate for the LPG and we want to remove it and just revert to petrol.

The car is also unregisered due to a yellow sticker.

I am just wondering if we remove the LPG will it affect the re registration ?

Cheers jed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 16:17

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 16:17
HI
The Lpg is easy enough to remove , remember safety first . The tank should be run to empty otherwise u will have to dispose of the gas . remember to isolate tank before removal .

Is the car dual fuel or gas only???

The petrol system will need full inspection/replace /o/haul if not used regularly , y f/pump, carby ,fuel hoses .

To be technically correct u will have to approach the authorities to remove the approval plate . Its all about the paper work . Once the car is plated the inspector will treat as if fitted . Some will insist its removed some will let it slide if there is zero evidence of gas being fitted [no remaining parts ].

If u are not competent get the pros to do it .
AnswerID: 619496

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 00:32

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 00:32
The tank was run till empty and the tank is isolated :)

The previous owner actually took out the petrol system and ran it on gas for "quite a while " so the fuel system will need some love

I sure hope the inspector lets it slide

Cheers jed
FollowupID: 891797

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 00:35

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 00:35
Would it work if i just removed the mod plate and said no more ?

Just a thought ?

Cheers jed
FollowupID: 891799

Reply By: garrycol - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 17:49

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 17:49
Depends on what your local state rules are.

In the ACT to remove LPG the vehicle has to go back to the RTA for a full roadworthy inspection plus all the paper work required. In some other States it only needs an authorised LPG inspector to sign off that the gear has been removed.
AnswerID: 619499

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 20:53
In some states it is also a breach of the Regulations for any one to even place a spanner on any of the LPG equipment UNLESS they are suitably licensed or working under the supervision of a license holder.

Make enquiries with the relevant authorities first.
FollowupID: 891794

Reply By: splits - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2018 at 22:11
The easiest way to find out anything about registration is to ask the registration authorities. They are the ones who will have the final say when you register it.

Don't forget to check the ignition system before you drive it again. If it has been set up properly for gas, the spark timing will be too far advanced for petrol and it will ping its head off.

As a general rule, most dual fuel cars have a standard ignition system. This retards gas performance. Gas burns slower than petrol so it should be ignited earlier. They need a lot more advance at idle and a shorter but steeper advance curve.
AnswerID: 619510

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 00:34

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2018 at 00:34
Thanks for that

The car is EFI but would i be correct in assuming that they wouldnt have reflashed the ecu for gas only ?

FollowupID: 891798

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:10

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 08:10
Hi
Just remove it and connect the petrol side .

As I said before questions maybe asked but if the system is completely removed 100% u might be ok .

As for being qualified to work on ,its only on the high pressure side .

In saying that tanks ,gas lines are removed from vehicles all the time to gain access for mechanics or repair body damage .

Once upon a time there were no licenses required for aircon or Lpg systems .
People used there brains . !!!!!
Licenses were introduced to keep d.ckheads out of the industry eg regulate and of course make $$$ for the govt . Under the disguise of environment protection I`m told .
AnswerID: 619544

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 22:17

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 22:17
76lifted -

If the car has been registered with any kind of LPG setup, it will show up on the computerised rego records, the minute you try to re-register it without the LPG.

Then some inspector will start asking questions. Better to ask your local road traffic authority what the rules and regulations are, for LPG system removal.

This following forum thread may be of some assistance.

Shannons - LPG system removal

However ....... despite the above Shannons forum advice - every state has different rules, so make sure you check.

I believe that NSW requires an engineers report to be submitted to the Motor Registry when an LPG system is removed, and this is the only way the NSW registry records can be updated, to officially record petrol as the fuel for the vehicle.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 619674

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 22:22

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 22:22
Thats a good link thanks ron

Cheers jed
FollowupID: 891961

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 22:36

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 22:36
Don't forget the basics of LPG when fiddling with the system, undoing hoses and removing electrical connections.

1. LPG is under pressure and a liquid in a tank, but becomes a vapour when the pressure is removed (such as venting to the air).

2. Vapour is dreadful stuff, it carries for long distances and will ignite by any spark source - such as electric motors, fridge and HWS pilot lights, etc, etc.

Make sure ALL potential sources of gas ignition are removed from within 50 metres of your work area, or you have removed the vehicle 50 metres from sources of ignition.

Don't even think about using jumper leads in areas where LPG is being worked on.

3. Remember LPG is heavier than air, and settles and collects in low spots in still air. Thus the reason why LPG installers don't use mechanics pits.

4. Your very first step in any LPG work, must always be disconnection of the vehicle battery.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891962

Sponsored Links