Cub Supermatic Drover 2007 - Wheel bearings and shocks

Submitted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 09:57
ThreadID: 136754 Views:4472 Replies:14 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey folks just after a little advice if possible please.
Heading up to Birdsville for the BRB in a few weeks time and want to change out the wheel bearings and shock absorbers on our 2007 Cub Supermatic Drover.
Can anyone advise what wheel bearings this age Supermatic Drover would be running (currently has Toyota Landcruiser rims so I'm guessing Toyota bearings but a p'n would be great ) and what a suitable HD shock absorber replacement would be given we have a leaking seal in one unit (p/n would also be great). Going to do the swap out ourselves but living in a rural location want to order the parts in rather than run around and have the a) Cost associated with others doing the job and, b) Don't have the time to run around looking for others to do the work given we're an hour away from any main town or service centre.
Thanks very much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: splits - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 10:21

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 10:21
All bearings and cones have a number on them. They are deeply embedded in the metal around the outer edge and can't wear off. Have a look at yours and buy the same ones.

As for shocks, they should be properly matched to the springs. I would look at the websites for the major manufacturers and see if they have a customer information number. Most companies in just about any field do. Some have phone numbers while others use email. This is just one example.KONI

Contact them and see what they say.
AnswerID: 619111

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 11:46

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 11:46
They certainly will not have Toyota bearings (unless Toyota use generic bearings.) I suggest you contact Cub Campers in regards to the shockers and what hubs are fitted to their campers.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619116

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:13

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:13
Trekabout
Just because a hub has toyota 6 stud pattern or even a 5 stud pattern does not mean the hub bearings are anything like the size of Toyota hub bearings.
Any reputable bearing has the numbers on both the cup and cone edge as mentioned above and if removing them you can read the numbers.
I also guess the bearings will not be same as Toyota at all, one look at the hub dia will indicate that, uness the same outer dia as a Toyota hub it is unlikely the bearings are the same. Most caravans are not the same.
Make sure you buy reputable bearings names and not cheaper offerings commonly supplied. Not sure what you mean, "change them out" and American term, Aussies just "replace" them.

If the bearings in the hubs are good quality and not damaged or brinelled or chipped or scored, then replacement probably isn't required. You just have to check the whole surface of the perfectly clean cone whilst looking through the rollers to see any degradation. Cups are easily inspected.

Shock replacement can be done by internet searching of the type of end fixings and the closed and open stroke length. Same or similar shocks which work well will suffice, you can be sure the manufacturer of the Cub never matched the shock performance to the springs to any great degree.

Then when you hit town you will know which bearings you need and also the shock absorber description data too.
AnswerID: 619117

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 14:35

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 14:35
Hi Trekabout

The first thing you need to know is are the inner and outer bearings the same?

Some use different size bearings, while my Ultimate use the same size inner and outer Ford bearings.

Living in the country, we have many advantages over city folk, as all I have to do is walk down the street and go into one of out rural machinery distributors and take a sample of the bearing I need. No waiting around and dozens in stock.

I use the principal that if anything is going to happen, it will be me and always carry 8 bearing, tools and grease so in the event of trouble, it is an easy roadside fix.

Have a great time in Birdsville.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619120

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 19:46

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 19:46
I prepack the bearings with grease & then vacuum pack them.

FollowupID: 891336

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 21:42

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 21:42
Off topic, have you thought about rear window protection? unless you dont have one.
AnswerID: 619128

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 22:15

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 22:15
Shockies should have a part number stamped onto the stone guard, or perhaps down near the lower mount, Trekabout.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619131

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 06:13

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 06:13
As said the bearings have numbers on them. Any bearing shop can supply them.

Cub currently use custom made shocks by Rox Shocks.
The manufacturer is Ateco EQuipment
ProductSupport@ateco.com.au
No idea if they were fitted to your trailer though.

You don't just wack any shock in. You have to match the dimensions, mounting system, performance etc. Some shocks have 'over extension' limits built in others don't.
Ring Cub and find out what should be in there and take it from there.
AnswerID: 619135

Follow Up By: Trekabout - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:27

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:27
Thanks for the feedback re the shocks - Apparently they are 'Custom made' for Cub and are available at the cheap price of $160 each supply only. Think I'll make some calls to Ateco and see how that works for me. Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 891359

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 16:37

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 16:37
Jeez Andrew. Gobsmacked with that price!

Ateco aren't a lot of help as they are customs so will likely refer you back to Cub.
They can however tell you if there is anything special about them so you can explore alternatives.
My trailer has independent suspension and there is no checkstrap arrangement to prevent the arms dropping down and releasing the coils.
Ateco told me that the shocks have beefed up guts to provide this function which helps explain the cost if you have independent.

cheers
Malcom
FollowupID: 891367

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 07:20

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 07:20
Its probably safest to take off the components and take them to a bearing or shock absorber supplier. Then you're not going to get it wrong.

Not much good going with the old 'I think its Ford bearings'.

I'm unaware were you live, over here in the West we have trailer parts supplier Martins Trailer parts; the bearing quantities they buy enables them to sell bearings, seals etc. at great value prices.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619136

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 09:19

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 09:19
He Trekabout,

Contact Cub, tell them your Chassis number, they should be able to look up in their records and provide you with all the relevant data of your camper.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619144

Reply By: Dean K3 - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:22

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:22
As mentioned by Phil B pull them off take them as samples to a bearing supply company and they can then investigate all bearing seals will have a size/part number on them just case of indentifying them properly.

I tried to get some info from a suspension supplier used commonly on caravans etc, all they could advise was take it apart and then measure up and then they could advise accordingly

So makes one wonder about their spare parts knowledge, if I could tell them the exact model used on caravan/camper .

AnswerID: 619148

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:42

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:42
Quote "I tried to get some info from a suspension supplier used commonly on caravans etc, all they could advise was take it apart and then measure up and then they could advise accordingly

"So makes one wonder about their spare parts knowledge,"
The manufactures make several load capacities of their suspensions. They are likely to have different bearings on each of the different capacities. If you don't give them the exact suspension model they they can not tell you which bearings yours has fitted.

Your comments regarding their knowledge is unwarranted.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 891353

Reply By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:16

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:16
You might want to consider replacing the bearing hub seals as well.
AnswerID: 619155

Reply By: Trekabout - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:25

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:25
Thanks for everyone's feedback - Cub have kindly provided the P/N for the bearings etc which I can get locally and a new set of shocks are being posted through to me next week by their service team. For those that are interested the bearing P/N for a 2007 Cub camper with 45mm stubs are Inner - LM297449/10, Outer LM67048/10 and the grease seal is 30400. All parts are available via Alco as well.
Regards,

AnswerID: 619156

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 16:25

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 16:25
Make sure that you use 2 piece marine seals.

FollowupID: 891364

Reply By: Trekabout - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:48

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 14:48
Oh yes and the Shocks are made for Cub by Ateco Products who won't/can't supply a P/N for the shock absorbers as you have to go directly to Cub to purchase them at $360 a pair plus delivery!
AnswerID: 619157

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, May 25, 2018 at 16:36

Friday, May 25, 2018 at 16:36
Just take a sample to a car suspension place and they will match them with something suitable.
FollowupID: 891366

Reply By: Member - Darwin Dave - Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 10:13

Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 10:13
Good morning Trekabout,

Pull the bearing out and check numbers before you buy new ones. LM 67048/10 is a inner Holden bearing which will only fit 39mm round or 40mm square axle. 45mm square axles use Ford bearings.

Regards,
Dave

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619169

Sponsored Links