Carnarvon WA water & shopping bag warning -

Submitted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:41
ThreadID: 136737 Views:6622 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Ok folks,
for those of us in the know this will be a repeated message - just got back from a 2 1/2 week jaunt up to coral bay the slow way (mullewa carnarvon rd).

Please be aware the tap at the grey/black water dump point is recycled water and ISN'T fit for human consumption.

Yet again like 2016 when up there last, I managed to stop a Maui camper van before they drove off with tank of recycled water - the sign is strategically placed about the head height of a giraffe so you can't read it ! - all other signs I have seen are placed alongside the tap so its clearly identified as not fit for human consumption.

The good news though is Carnarvon shire has installed a water point nearby 3 metres away charging $1 for 20 litres; not too bad considering after a water tank /pump issue myself I paid $15.00 for 10l x 5 container at coral bay ! (seperate posting coming soon) Woolies at geraldton 10 L at $4 - captive audience to say the least.

The better option in Carnarvon is the free drinking water about 50m on LHS just south of NWC Hwy & Robinson Rd intersection.

Both Woolies and the IGA no longer supply the plastic T-shirt shopping bags so go prepared to double handle your purchases at the till or take along those other " shopping bags" - IGA however will offer cartons for carrying purchases out the door.

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:56

Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:56
Who provides the free water tap Dean? Where is it and what is the parking like? Is there still a fuel servo at the intersection?

For those who don't know, those plastic shopping bags will not longer be available in Western Australia from 1st July this year. Shops may run out ahead of this date.

I kept forgetting in South Australia that they do not have plastic bags. When travelling we often went into a shop for milk or bread and came out with a trolley full. If I had remembered them, my one or two green bags was not enough.

Last year when heading east, I went into the store in Kimba for s few things, and got more, quite forgetting about the bags situation. At the checkout I realised, then remembered I had a Coles foldable one in my handbag for such emergencies. I got the lot into it :O.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619040

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 22:14

Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 22:14
Free tap I can only presume Main roads been there for years certainly in 2010 when I did my first trip up that way (not with parents) - and its clearly signposted as fit for drinking and also "no washing of cars or caravans" its in the "ïnfo bay"

about 50 m south of intersection big enough you could easily fit a double road train in there had 1 4wd & caravan in front of me when i arrived and then as i filled 2nd came up behind me and then a largish motorhome behind that as well

Caltex have a manned servo at the intersection on north side so if you over shoot the intersection you run smack bang into them and as a kid I recalled Shell being on the eastern corner with decent boganvellias etc - thats been demolished and now a caltex ünmanned "truck hi flow adblue site"

normal cars 4wds not permitted - yes truckies get very peeved with non trucks using these sites even if there is no law against it -confess I had one servo who refused to actiavte the pump elsehwere as I wasn't a truck and had to mingle with the sardibne cans so I went elsewhere and used the "hi flow" pump out the back
FollowupID: 891224

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 22:18

Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 22:18
Thanks Dean. Good information about the tap. Also thanks for the update on the servos. We haven't been into Carnarvon for some years.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891225

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 01:15

Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 01:15
Maybe well see a return of the good old paper bag we use to pack our groceries in they got rid of in the early 80's.
FollowupID: 891309

Reply By: AlanTH - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 18:52

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 18:52
Late last year we refused to pay the charge of 5 bucks per 10 litres at Coral Bay, total rip off after being in the park for a week.
Yes I know we could have filled buckets at the various taps around but it takes a long time and walking is hard enough these days (getting old) without being forced to pay that much on top of high site costs.
We drove through to Onslow via the Twitchen Track and filled up there for free outside the info.centre, fuelled up and bought groceries there as well.
Coral Bay van parks don't do the rest of town any favours by being so greedy.
We've also used the tap at the info. stop heading into to Carnavon as well several times. Good water.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 619058

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:24

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:24
Regarding the plastic bags from supermarkets etc. it hasn`t happened here yet (Bendigo) but is about to.
If I didn`t have my own bag and was told by the Checkout Chick to purchase one of theirs, I have thought that I might say " sorry I do not wish to now pay for something that up to now has been free" I am not sure if I would be game enough to try it but I have thought that I would walk out and leave the trolley full of goodies at the register. I wonder what would happen. LOL
AnswerID: 619062

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:36

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:36
Living in sa , we are quite used to taking our reusable bags , or paying for more.
It actually seems wrong (just wasteful really)when in the other states to leave a shop with a heap of throwaways.
You’ll all get used to it, did you see the war on waste program?
Cheers
FollowupID: 891252

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:51

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:51
Apparently the green bags are a bigger environmental hazard than single use plastic bags. The green bags are polypropylene, an oil based product which is not biodegradable & have to be reused for a minimum of 2 years to break even with the single use bags, even then they have to be shredded & recycled, not dumped!
As far as the single use bags go, the only ones we only use once are the ones that split, the others are reused in our purpose bought kitchen bin or taken camping as rubbish bags.
Of course the supermarkets have been pushing for the plastic bag ban, because bags go from being ’free’ to being sold for $1.00.

The information I provided about the ‘green’ bags was researched by Associate Professor Karli Verghese from RMIT who conducted a study into the subject.

FollowupID: 891253

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 13:02

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 13:02
Not only is Shaker correct about the green bags being a bigger problem than that they supposedly solve, but the problem of single use plastic bags is overwhelmingly caused in third world countries where there is no effective garbage control and disposal system like there is in first world countries like Australia, as the National Geographic finds here.

The ban on single use plastic bag is a classic guilt driven response of the modern environmental protection movement, whereby the "solution" is worse than the problem, is applied to people who are not causing it, whilst nothing is done about those actually causing the problem.

So, if you really want to do something about the environment, support a foreign aid project that deals with garbage management in the third world, especially in Asia. Unfortunately it's not sexy enough for greenie virtue signallers in Australia to support. They prefer to pointlessly go after the low hanging fruit of plastic bags in Australian supermarkets
FollowupID: 891265

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 15:57

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 15:57
"The green bags are polypropylene, an oil based product which is not biodegradable..."
What an extraordinary statement.
As anyone who knows anything at all about plastic will tell you, virtually ALL commercial plastics are made from oil (including polyethylene which is the material used for most single use bags). In addition, polypropylene is just as easily recycled as polyethylene and both break down rapidly when exposed to sunlight.

Single use products of any material should be eliminated from our habitual use.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 891270

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 20:01

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 20:01
It wasn’t my statement, it was part of the result from RMIT testing.
I thought it was common knowledge that the green bags were a worse environmental problem than so called single use bags. Even their colour is part of the con job!
It’s amazing how when Target said they couldn’t source biodegradable single use bags & discontinued supplying bags, when business dropped off, they miraculously found a supplier!
Green bags have also been found to germ laden unless regularly cleaned.
FollowupID: 891282

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:56

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 20:56
Thanks Dean

As stated the tap is in the information bay on the western side of the highway.

It is clearly shown on WikiCamps.

It’s the light blue flag alongside the info flag

Cheers John
AnswerID: 619063

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 04:35

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 04:35
Many dump points use either recycled water or bore water, so user beware. Some shires or councils will post potable water points on line.

Another thing, if your vehicle has a lot of mud build up on it and under it, is to look up the location of seed washes for livestock movements. They work well, some are free and others you pay a small fee for their use. If you use one please clean down the slab afterwards.

AnswerID: 619069

Reply By: David I1 - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 07:50

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 07:50
The silent (bigger) issue with the plastic bags is what people used to use them for once they brought the shopping home, and now will have to find a substitute. I used them for rubbish bin bags inside the house. Now I will have to buy the plastic liners which is just replacing one free plastic bag with one that is now being purchased. I am sure people have used the old bags in lots of ways that now they are ceasing will have to find something else to carry things around in. I have on my FB page a wonderful clip on what things used to be and what they are now. The simple fact is that when I was young things were recyled (think beer, soft drink milk bottles). Now we use plastic or bottles that are not recyled. Perhaps manufacturers need to go back to the way things used to be?
AnswerID: 619070

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 10:11

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 10:11
The supermarkets environmental conscience doesn’t extend to not selling plastic garbage, kitchen tidy, garden, freezer bags.
As far as saying that the single use plastic bags don’t break down, have you ever stored anything in one & come back to find it crumbling to pieces?
I don’t deny that plastics are a big problem, but water bottles, coffee cups, soft drink bottles, general packaging, green bags etc etc are probably a bigger problem, but then supermarkets don’t give them away!

FollowupID: 891263

Sponsored Links