Lawn Hill. NP

Submitted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 18:24
ThreadID: 136720 Views:3549 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am heading to Lawn Hill in the next 3 weeks and am wondering if anybody has had any special experiences there. Camping or generally have to see places, and things to see and do.

Using a Roof top tent so have to leave the canoe at home.

I will be travelling across from Atherton.

Open to any special features calling intoNormanton and Karumba.
I like to wet a line and go for a walk especially if there are any birds about, feathered type.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 20:07

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 20:07
Hi Tony

First of all, you are going to be in for a real treat, as the Lawn Hill area is just unreal.

There are around 5 fantastic walks to do and make sure that you do them all, as well as hiring a kayak for doing the compulsory Lawn Hill paddle.

We stayed at Adels Grove and drove to the National Park every day and did every hike, one each day in the cooler morning period, as it will be hot there when you get there.

Make sure you carry lots of water on the hikes, as you will need to keep hydrated.

Enjoy one location that should be on every Australian's bucket list.

Now to show you a few images to see what you are in for.........lol

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618969

Follow Up By: Deejay - Friday, May 18, 2018 at 20:14

Friday, May 18, 2018 at 20:14
Great photos Stephen.
We were there in September and thought we'd walked all the tracks but we never saw that pontoon bridge shown your photos.
Where was it please?

Thanks, Deejay.
FollowupID: 891134

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 18, 2018 at 20:41

Friday, May 18, 2018 at 20:41
Hi Deejay

We had to cross that pontoon bridge to do the following walks in the national park :

After crossing the bridge and coming to a track junction, you have to take the left track to go to the Cascades and the island Stack walks.

Turning right at the junction after the bridge will take you to the Wild Dog Dreaming and Lower Gorge Lookout tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891135

Follow Up By: Pa,Ma&Gus - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 15:37

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 15:37
Lawn Hill is one of our favourite memories.
Do the canoe trip & watch for the bubbles coming up in places along the river, these are from the springs(water) coming into the river.
The rim walk is fabulous but a bit rough.Watch for the older members as they might need a bit longer to go more carefully. Take plenty of water!
As for young kids, I'd have them on a harness( from the days of old, I don't see them around anymore but they're a good idea).
As you can see from Stephens' fabulous photos. It is a sharp long drop in places.
We went in Sept many years ago, it was a dry year & very hot so we stayed up in the top camp area, Adeles' Grove was a bit suficating, if hot. .
Only from memory a Iong way back! there is a road crossing the River through to Mount Isa through cattle station country, the scenery is spectacular. .You will be able to see the River flood marker up in the tree as you exit the River going towards Mt. Isa if you can still get across the River.
Enjoy your journey.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 891155

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 22:20

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 22:20
For Lawn Hill itself, you could camp at the national parks campground overlooking Duwadarri Waterhole (part of Lawn Hill Creek. But you have to book your site on line.

We stayed at Adels Grove and drove the ten kilometres to the gorge each day as we were unsure of we would have fitted into the campground sites, and we wouldn't have. Adels is a lovely campground with all services except power.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618974

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Friday, May 18, 2018 at 08:18

Friday, May 18, 2018 at 08:18
Hi Tony.

Here are a couple birds that you may like to look for.
The Sandstone Shrike Thrush lives around the western edge of the "Island Stack" (walk 1 on the map).
I have seen Painted Finches at a small waterhole on top of the Constance Range (walk 5 on the map) if you walk clockwise, just over the top of the ridge on the western side.
There is a dam on the left as you drive in from Adels Grove, just back from the hills as you approach Lawn Hill. There is a track off to the left. Painted Finches come in there as well.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 618980

Reply By: Life Member - Woodsy - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 12:34

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 12:34
Is Lawn Hill NP affected by the current dispute at Lawn Hill Station?
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619005

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 14:48

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 14:48
Neither Lawn Hill NP or Adels Grove are affected. Adels Grove now have a Optus tower as well as limited Telstra.
Cheers, Kevin
FollowupID: 891151

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 16:31

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 16:31
Hi Woodsy

I have not heard down here, but what is the issue going on with Lawn Hill Station?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891156

Reply By: Life Member - Woodsy - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 16:44

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 16:44
Hi Stephen L

Refer to the following

https://www.welcometocountry.org/traditional-owners-take-back-infamous-lawn-hill-cattle-station/
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619009

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 17:33

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 17:33
Hi Woodsy

Thanks for that, as that is the first I have heard of that. I know that the Lawn Hill Station is north of Adels Grove and let's hope that they do not push further south, as Adels Grove has been in private hands for nearly 100 years and was a botanical grand ens since 1920.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891157

Reply By: Pondalowie - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 22:33

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 22:33
Hi Tony, we headed to Lawn Hill last year and was an experience of a lifetime. We stayed at Adels Grove in the Grove rather than the National Park, we did book prior to arriving. We were there in early June, so wasnt too crowded and had a fantastic site along side the river. We drove to the National Park to canoe the gorge, we took inflatable canoes with us but decided to hire a double canoe as it is quite a paddle, then lifted the canoe out of the water and paddled up the higher gorge. Sites were spectacular. Great walks in the parks that cater for all fitness levels. We spent four days at Adels Grove, an oasis in the middle of no where, totally loved it as I am sure you will. We also stayed a couple of nights at Gregory Downs which if you get a chance is a great place to enjoy the rapids on inflatable tyres and the birdlife was amazing. Need to be there early to get a good stop, a popular place to stay ! We did fish at Adels Grove and managed to get a couple of fish, not certain what they were, but was catch and release. Good luck and enjoy your adventure.
AnswerID: 619236

Sponsored Links