Another dog question

Submitted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 08:02
ThreadID: 136707 Views:2394 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again,

Hoping to get away soon an a camping trip round northern and western SA, will be in tents, just the 2 of us and our small shih Tzu cross aptly named, shit of a dog but so cute and loving.

When just overnighting we don't want to set up the big tent and have a dome tent that fits the mattress in neatly but no room for pooch's bed(and he is impossible to have on your bed, anyone who knows the breed will understand).

Our intentions are to put him in his little cage in the back of the ute with plenty of insulation beneath and over& around the crate and to his disgust put him in a jumper. He has been coping with the cold nights we have had here with no extra aids than normal, but its only been down to 10 degrees.

I understand it will be a lot lower than this where we are going and am taking a lot of blankets for him and will suspend a blanket in the crate that he will be under as well, hoping this will be enough but am half expecting him not to be happy with the arrangement.

Question is, are there any obvious pitfalls that we might come across that we wont realise till we are out there, don't want to be caught out by something simple.

As always will appreciate any feedback.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 08:48

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 08:48
Hi qldcamper
We have a chocolate kelpie.
She has a wire type dog crate that she loves it. Its her den.
Insulated covers are available for these crates that cover from the outside with zip down doors. The floor is a sealed tray and held of the ground with the wire crate construction and foam mats are made to fit (bunnings).
Leave your little shit in his little warm home in the ute have a blue tarp over if it rains.
Have a good nights sleep.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618932

Reply By: Uncle Arthur - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 09:32

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 09:32
Hello qld camper,
Similar to previous reply we have a kelpie who virtually lives in the back of the Hilux that has a vinyl canopy. It gets very cold outback at night, below zero, so as long as plenty of covers for warmth it should not be a worry. Only things to keep in mind are the dingoes that wonder about at night and the 1080 dog baits your pooch might find if he goes wondering off during the day. Having a dog restricts your access to national parks but then if they don't want us then we don't want them and from what we have seen in our many trips the majority of "national parks" are a waste of time.
AnswerID: 618933

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 09:44

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 09:44
Don’t forget that Kelpies have a double coat & may be more tolerant to cold than the dog in question.
FollowupID: 891065

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 13:05

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 13:05
Hello,
It is very important to guard against your dog picking up baits as mentioned.
We had a muzzle for our miniature foxy when we travelled the Canning.
It was very funny when people saw little Rasty hop out of our car with a muzzle, they would instantly have a bit of a fright and ask was he dangerous.
He didn't like it at first but soon got used to it.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 891071

Reply By: qldcamper - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 17:47

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 17:47
Thanks for all the replies, exactly what I wanted to hear.
He does have a wire crate, well he has two, an up stairs one and a downstairs one, loves them both. We are taking the one that he sleeps in but have to turn it on its side so it fits under the hilux's cover so the zip up covers may not work, but have a lambs wool under blanket that will wrap most of it up and a good thick cushion he loves on the back seat of the car that will fit in nicely so hope all will be good.
He does have a habit of talking(not barking) if he wakes early but in the dead of night in a camp ground this may annoy other campers so we hope to keep him as snug as possible.
AnswerID: 618941

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 17:51

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 17:51
Meet a guy from North West Wa in Nyngan that had a similar dog that was 15 years old. He had a 12v electric blanket for it and said that worked well. Don't know what they draw but you may want to have a gander around on google.
AnswerID: 618942

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 19:20

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 19:20
Dingoes and small dogs dont go together and be aware of entry restrictions in Parks. Most dont allow dogs
AnswerID: 618944

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 07:03

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 07:03
Cheers for that, yep aware of the dingo threat and baits about, that is why he will be inside his cage inside the ute with its cover on. He travels very well on his cushion on the back seat, would let him sleep in there but he would get bored and loves to chew so will put the cushion in the cage.

And yes, dogs do limit things a lot.
I posted a couple of posts a few months ago in the early planning (dreaming) stage while I was completing a contract and got the usual bits of good advice mixed in with the guesses and completely miss informed.

I have been in touch with the SA parks department and had it confirmed, no dogs in any form or park or conservation area except on main roads which are not deemed part of the park with a buffer zone either side.
FollowupID: 891096

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 22:33

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 22:33
Would your little shitz like to sleep in something like this? Dog bed

There are lots of different styles of cubby or igloos type pets beds that would keep your dog warm.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618949

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 07:13

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 07:13
Cant seem to get the link to work but pretty sure I know what you mean.
Starting to think I might be over doing it a little as a lot of the suggestions are a lot short of what I was considering, which is good because that's why I posted the question, to get feedback from people who have done it.

Hate to cook the poor little shitz.

He is smart, if he ends up in the little tent with us on the first night he will winge till he is in there every time he sees the dome tent.
FollowupID: 891097

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 09:04

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 09:04
Link works fine for me qldcamper, but if you check out camping and pet stores on line you will find a number of different sem-enclosed pet beds for warmth when camping.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891100

Sponsored Links