Comments on this RTT

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 08:48
ThreadID: 136597 Views:4636 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm a bit anal about set up and tear down times, when touring and on the move, I want some luxury plus ease of set up / tear down.

I've had or have one or more of everything. Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Southern Cross tent - easy to set up and tear down but bulky and heavy.
3 second throw up tent - easy to set up and not bad to tear down when you get used to it.
I've had 2 black wolf tents, nat bad to set up but takes ages to pack up and too bulky.
I've had lots of "family" tents - light and compact but too fiddly

The problem with all tents is not just the set up and tear down time, it's the packing and set up of bedding. Yeah I know I'm being precious. Or lazy. I just hate camp tear downs.....

So.. I also have
Swags - Easier to set up but bulky and not much chop for cold and rain - even with a tarp / awning.
My Tvan - very easy to set up and tear down in touring mode, super comfy and warm, but with the obvious disadvantages of a camper trailer.
I've tried to like Rooftop tents before but they are too clunky, as aerodynamic as a house brick, and most take a while to set up anyway.

There are times that I'd prefer not to take my Tvan, I found this the other day. the iKamper top tent. https://www.ikamper.com/
It's distributed in Australia by a mob in Geelong and also sold by Drifta and a few others.

Its available in 2 adult plus 2 kids. or a new one is coming out in about a month for 2 adults. Same size but should have more storage space. It genuinely seems to take 1 - 2 mins to set up and tear down including the bedding - especially the 2 person one.

It is bloody expensive though, nearly $5K What do people think? ( apart from the obvious that it's bloody expensive and RTT issues. ) It seems a lot more user friendly that other hard shell RTT's.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Little Briney - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:27

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:27
It looks perfect, Tony. Ideal for those occasions when you want to leave the caravan/trailer behind for short trips in rough country.
Only problem is doing without one leg and half my genitals to pay for it.
Regards
Little Briney

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618469

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:35

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:35
Hi Tony

Looks good, but for those dollars, I would stick to our Oztent if we did not take the Ultimate.

Still will sleep 4, and up in 30 seconds.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618471

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:28

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 10:28
I'm with Stephen,

We have an Oztent and use it on occasions when we don't take the Camper.
They are quick to put up and take down and we just toss a couple of swags inside to sleep on.
The Oztent is very versatile with the addition of side panels for the front awning for longer stays. Just back the vehicle up to the awning front opening and you have a cosy retreat in all weather conditions.
FollowupID: 890482

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:37

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 09:37
Looks pretty similar to the likes of James Baroud and Backtrax roof top tents to me, just abit bigger with It's side piece.
AnswerID: 618472

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:04

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:04
Have you had a look at Crazy DogCanvas roof topper?
They used to make all the Johnnos camper tents before they went bust. I love the Johnnos tents, have had two of them.

He has a Facebook page and is located up North QLD in Maryborough?https://www.facebook.com/CrazyDogCanvas/

Apart from making damned good gear, the big advantage here is he'll customise anything he makes to suit you.
AnswerID: 618492

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:33

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:33
Boobook
I have a similar unit mounted permanent to my ali canopy.
whilst not being an owner of any tents or trailers etc I have found the "Alucab" unit to be perfect for my requirements.
Set up time about 15 seconds, and pull down in about the same time frame.
Granted the $ value of it seems excessive but being able to sleep 2 adults with ease and comfort with all bedding always inside saves lots in both time and more important space.
I even have enough room for a 4 foot fold up table in there also if required.
At 80 odd kg all up the weight factor is maybe 2 and a bit jerrys, so not a huge factor for me.
Dimensions are not suited to a huge amount of vehicles, but at approx. 2.4 long x 1.4 wide and 220 mm high it fits comfortably on the canopy with a tapered front the aerodynamics are quite good for its size.
Considering overall the ease of set up and pull down of these and the advantage of 2 x solar panels mounted on the top as a permanent fixture I find it perfect for a quick weekend away fishing to a 4 week trip through the GRR.
Having previously owned a camper trailer I can agree totally on the disadvantages of owning one yes.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618493

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:40

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:40
Hi Tony, another vote for the Oztent. I have an RV4, only real drawback is that they are heavy to lift onto the roof rack on your own, but easy with two people. A couple of good swags on the floor and all’s good. Really only takes about 5 minutes all up including pegging down.

Looked RTTs, but too much work, not aerodynamic, & if like me you need to get up in the middle of the night, the last thing I need is a ladder to negotiate. Also, for that price, I’d rather save the money for fuel etc.

Currently traveling with someone who has a Kings RTT. There is about 10 minutes of set up, & about 15 minutes of breakdown time. The one you are asking about does seem a lot quicker, but there is still the ladder to negotiate.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618501

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:44

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:44
We have an Oztent for use when we go on serious Sand Hill & no trailer areas,It's great.
The only good thing I see in RTTs is croc proof sleeping, maybe? I've been told but haven't seen it, that there is a video of a croc climbing a waterfall!!! They're very good at adapting. may ladders will be their next evolution. RTTs are O.K. but for that price it would have to have far more advantages for us. Try folding it up wet.
We have the same trouble with the night time trips too.
You're right about the getting the Oztent down & putting back up onto the roof with the Oztent as we're now getting older & less agile, with Arthritic hands .
Take care, Safe Travels.Ma.
FollowupID: 890525

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 20:52

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 20:52
What about the electric rtt at BCF? Its only around $2k and seems easy to use.
AnswerID: 618517

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 16:13

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 16:13
Having owned a Shippshape RTT, which I still consider one of the 'best of breed' I look at the IKamper & can see that pack up would be a little quicker ..... BUT..... RTT's & me are simply incompatible & not for the reasons stated most commonly. ie. The need to negotiate a ladder for that nightime pee. I didn't mind going up & down the ladder (although I could envisage it becoming an issue as years go on - no-one can avoid the fact that their is risk of falling - which becomes greater with age).

The problem (for me, but I suspect others too) is that when camped 'in company' (& lets face it we all have to sometimes don't we) modesty dictated that I refrained from coming down the ladder naked, & instead of dressing outside in a standing position I was required to dress inside the tent in a sitting position. Doing this is uncomfortable enough, but when you have nothing to lean against (by virtue of canvas walls) it is (or was for me) something I had trouble tolerating on weekends away. It quickly became very obvious that it wouldn't suit for longer trips or full time travel.

In addition to our Tvan we now have an Oztent (RV3) like others have suggested & struggle to think of a better compromise.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618525

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 20:19

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 20:19
Thanks everyone, After reading the replies, thinking about it and doing some more research, I think the single pole touring tent suits me best for those times where the Tvan doesn't work.

Somehow, for me, I think the Roof Top tent causes an many problems as it solves.
AnswerID: 618530

Sponsored Links