Hay River Track September school holidays 2018 tag alongs

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 17, 2018 at 21:07
ThreadID: 136567 Views:2594 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm looking at doing the Hay River Track in the September 2018 school holidays. Mum, Dad and 2 kids in our BT50. We did the Simpson East to West solo a couple of years ago along the French line. Looking to go in from Birdsville to Poppel Corner then North on the Hay River Track. Wondering if a couple of others vehicles would like to tag along. Looking for sensible responsible fully self sufficient like minded families to join us. Must be moderately experienced, others will be there to help if need be. No idiots please, respect the country, vehicles and others.
Anyone interested please join the thread with experience, type of vehicle and number of people in your group. Leaving from and returning to Brisbane. Looking forward to a great trip.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Triton man - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:13

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:13
Hi Wayne B15,

Don't stress if you don't get any tag-alongs, we have done it North to South. It is more scenic, and easy peasy. It basically follows the swales as you would appreciate and even done by reasonably sized vans. It is certainly less travelled and I don't know why. It is a great drive and most enjoyable through more timbered and grass vegetation. Some great camp spots along the way.

The worst section would have to be the 74 odd kilometres from Batton Hill to Jervois (on the Plenty) - it is one long corrugation with no relief, just grin and bear it.
AnswerID: 618621

Follow Up By: Wayne B15 - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:23

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:23
Hi T Man, thanks for the reply. No problem if we don't get any tag alongs, just though some other families might like to make the trip. Agree with the Plenty highway. We went from Alice to Gemtree to Tobermorey Station and then Boulia on our return to Brisbane from our last Simpson trip. The corrugations were a killer. We only did 1 tyre about half way. I think we shook just about everything loose. We had one fog light drop out somewhere along the way. Looking forward to the drive through the swales as opposed to the north south dunes heading along the French line. Happy travels.
FollowupID: 890653

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:42

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:42
Perhaps the cost of permit @ $200 turns many travellers off?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890654

Follow Up By: Wayne B15 - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:46
Maybe, Personally the $200 is money well spent for our family to experience the Australian Desert. My 8 year old son and 10 yr old daughter love the outdoors and camping. They will remember the trip for the rest of their lives. $200 will get you hotel accommodation for 1 night for the 4 of us or a week long adventure in the Australian outback.
FollowupID: 890656

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:54

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:54
True, Wayne. If the tours are going at Batton Hill, then it's good value.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890657

Follow Up By: Triton man - Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 08:18

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 at 08:18
Forgot about the fee, maybe this is an off put to some. I remember some fiery conversations on this subject when we planned it. We went anyway and made that decision. On our visit, the tour(s) at Batton Hill were not happening, I believe it has all changed since Lindsay Bookie passed away. Having only been there post Bookie, and not being able to do a tour, I have nothing to compare.

Have a great trip, your kids will remember it, hope the flowers are out, a Hay River scene is my computers desktop photo.
FollowupID: 890663

Reply By: Triton man - Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:31

Monday, Apr 30, 2018 at 20:31
Yes, it is nice to share good times with others. Will be doing Mt. Isa to Alice Springs via Urandangi, Tobermorey, Jervois etc. on August 9 and 10 this year and yep, gets a bit ordinary doesn't it. Did the same last route last year on way to Laverton to do the CSR.

Will be looking for a fog lamp HaHa.

Enjoy the trip,
AnswerID: 618623

Sponsored Links