Brisbane to Bathurst

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:51
ThreadID: 136529 Views:4907 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Looking to tow my 18ft van from Brisbane to Bathurst. Want to go via Tamworth. Just looking for some advice on what the best way to go will be as google maps recommends a couple of ways but not sure of the quality of the roads it’s suggesting? Also any recommended camps or parks along the way for a night stay?

Cheers,
Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:27

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:27
Afternoon Jon
Not sure what you are driving but when I come down from SE Qld after visiting family I usually do the Cunningham’s Gap thing and then through Warwick and on the Goondiwindi and then down the Newell H’way to Tamworth (home for us) This was avoids the hilly sections of the New England - tis a bit longer but IMHO an easier drive. Usually stay overnight at Goondiwindi at the Tourist Park

Cheers

John T

John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618221

Follow Up By: Jon H1 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:52

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:52
Thanks John
FollowupID: 890200

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 13:31

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 13:31
John

I only tow a 1.5Tone camper trailer, I don't know how that compares to your van, but that doesn't put us off going the shortest most direct route via Cunningham's Gap and down the New England.

I have also gone to Goondi, then at Boggabilla take the road to Warialda, Bingara and Barraba. There are a few hills between Bingara and Barraba but fewer than the NE Highway. From memory it's about 45 minutes longer but a far more plesant and picturesque drive. People used to claim that the quickest way through Texas (but they weren't towing and tended to speed)
From Tamworth south towing a caravan I'd head off to Werris Ck across to Coolah, Mudgee (then there are hills) south on Lithgow Rd almost to Lithgow and onto Bathurst
Towing a caravan I would not recommend the short cut Rd through Sofala at Ilford (can be done but more sensible not to)

Camps depends how far you want to travel in a day, whether you were needing to stop overnight in Tamworth, need a Caravan park for it's facilities. You need to provide more details

Quite a few people "free Camp" on the Gwydir River banks at Bingara.
AnswerID: 618222

Follow Up By: Jon H1 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:53

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:53
Thanks Mark. Your advice is really appreciated mate.

Cheers,
Jon
FollowupID: 890201

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 14:40

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 14:40
Jon, that is excellent advise from Mark and John T.

It would be good if you said what your tug was and it's weight. I would think your van would be around 2.4 to 2.5t. unless it is a full offload jobie.

I go the way Mark said, One thing, just be careful on the bridge at Bingara as someone will have to back up if your both on it.

AnswerID: 618223

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 18:26

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 18:26
The hills along the New England Hwy are no worse than Cunningham's Gap. Going out of your way to dodge them is just being a wimp.

Do you have a copy of WikiCamps on a phone, tablet or Win 8/10. Only costs $8 and you can load it onto 3 machines. Some goods spots for you to look at are Kookaburra Camping & Caravan Park, Mother of Ducks Lagoon at Guyra and Beardy Creek north of Glen Innes.

If you are going through Texas then Look at the camp ground on the Dumaresq River. After Tamworth look at the the camp grounds at Cassillis or Merriwa.

All the roads through the towns I have mentioned have reasonable bitgumen surfaces.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618227

Follow Up By: Jon H1 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:54

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:54
Thanks Peter
FollowupID: 890202

Reply By: Jon H1 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 00:09

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 00:09
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Our van is about 1.6t and am towing with a 4cyl Amarok. Am looking for the easiest way we can. Have allowed 3 days to hopefully get to Melbourne. Am traveling with the wife and 14 and 10 year old. Ideally want to see Tamworth and drive Mount Panorama (provided I can leave the van somewhere near the bottom).

Really appreciate the advice.

Cheers,
Jon
AnswerID: 618235

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 07:33

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 07:33
The circuit is a public road with a very low speed limit. Just tow your van around it, no need to unhook. If you can't climb the mountain at road speed then it is time to change your tug.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 890167

Follow Up By: smwhiskey - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 15:49

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 15:49

Lap of Bathurst was a bucket list item for me
8 Minutes 23 sec for my "hot" lap around the track a week before the 2012 classic with the fully loaded camper trailer on the back.
Probably Fastest lap by a 4WD towing a camper trailer on the day :)
FollowupID: 890183

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 16:30

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 16:30
My wife also did a lap of the circuit towing our camper van. Unfortunately, I was not with her at the time, so no photo available. Will do it myself at some stage in the future.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890185

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:12

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:12
Quote "Have allowed 3 days to hopefully get to Melbourne. Am traveling with the wife and 14 and 10 year old. Ideally want to see Tamworth and drive Mount Panorama (provided I can leave the van somewhere near the bottom)."

That's a big trip with a couple of kids. Taking this route it is around 1800 km total. If you are going to drive 600 km per day then your overnight spots will be Tamworth and Young.

Just after Tamworth you have Wallabadah and Willow Tree - see Freedom of Choice caravan and RV camping in the Liverpool Plains

At Young you have a choice of the Young Showgrounds and a bit further on, the Waganbah Oval at Wombat.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 890190

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:57

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:57
Peter, Wallabadah is a 40km detour and next to a Highway, if not staying in Tamworth best head to Premer it's on the way and quieter.

PS Waganbah Oval is named after my Gradfather's 1st cousin, Bill. Still used to ride his horse in his 90s
Mark
FollowupID: 890193

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:32

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:32
Sorry the link I gave does not seem to work now. I did test it before I posted it.

This is my suggested route. It does not go through Premer. It does however go through Wallabadah and Willow Tree. You did not post your suggested route. If you did then the OP could then choose between the two.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 890197

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 07:45

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 07:45
With this additional information, I would suggest Cunninghams Gap, Warwick, straight down the NE Highway to Tamworth.

40km north of Tamworth there is a Free camp area at Bendemeer along the McDonald River. After that there are a number of CP in Tamworth, the Austin CP on NE side of Tamworth seems to have good reviews, Paradise CP is close to the centre of town.
If miraculously you get to Tamworth see what you want and want to push on, then there is a free camp area at Premer 90 minutes past Tamworth on your way to Coolah.
Tamworth can be best seen from the Lookout at the top of Hill/White streets, most visitors aren't aware of it.

After you have finished in Bathurst, onto Cowra, Young, Cootamundra, Junee, Wagga & Albury on the Olympic Way. Normally I find that a beautiful drive, but with 3 months of well below average rainfall, it's starting to look like Longreach
You won't have a great deal of spare time within that 3 days I'd suggest if you are detouring via Tamworth and Bathurst en route to Melbourne whilst ensuring two kids don't drive you mad.
AnswerID: 618238

Follow Up By: mountainman - Saturday, Apr 14, 2018 at 01:21

Saturday, Apr 14, 2018 at 01:21
Definitely maaaad not to stop in at the holbrook bakery
Best sangas going around.
Mmm apple pies and the donuts would keep any copper content.
Let alone the snapping handbag / co pilot / she who wins the arguement... navigator happy.
FollowupID: 890217

Reply By: bridget1650 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 19:41

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 19:41
Jon. Can advise that the road from Ilford to Bathurst is not too bad. Good seal all the way. The drop into and out of Sofala towards Bathurst is steep but achievable in what you have. Stop over at Sofala (left after bridge and park there) and walk the 1851 town.

Sandy Hollow via Bylong, Ryleston, Kandos and then Ilford is a popular touring route as well. Very scenic in Bylong ValleyAll. sealed but some potholes north of Bylong.

For Mount Panorama suggest checking withBathurst Council if circuit is open. Quite regularly closed for events and not accessible.

Free camp in Bathurst (near main bridge) available. Google it.

Have a good trip.

Kevin
AnswerID: 618246

Follow Up By: Jon H1 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:52

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:52
Thanks Kevin for the advice. Much appreciated.

Cheer,
Jon
FollowupID: 890199

Sponsored Links