Access to Wallaroo Rock

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:05
ThreadID: 136402 Views:3369 Replies:1 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi team
I note that access to Wallaroo Rock generally refers to turning off Great Eastern Highway at either Bullabulling or Woolgangie.
The Hema maps show what I think is a mine haul road labelled as Mount Walton Road turning off GEH at Boorabbin and leading north to Mt Dimmer Mine (closed?).
Can anyone advise if this road is open to public traffic as alternative access to Wallaroo Rock.
Cheers Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 14:07

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 14:07
Craig - The Mt Walton Rd is not a mine haul road, it is a publically-accessible road that leads to the Intractable Waste Disposal Facility at Mt Walton East, many kms N of the Trans Line.

You can access Wallaroo Rock by driving up the Mt Walton Rd to the Trans Line, cross over the line (look out for trains!), go about 500m further, then turn East (right) and follow the track, which leads straight to Wallaroo Rock.

The Mt Dimer goldfield and open pits are not right on the Mt Walton Rd.

As you approach within a couple of kms of the IWDF facility, a road runs off to the West, at right angles from the Mt Walton Rd.
This road leads to the Mt Dimer goldfield and open pits.

The IWDF facility is an operational Waste Facility and public access is not allowed.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 617530

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 16:44

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 16:44
Thanks Ron much appreciated..
You may also be able to answer my next question.
We have a 200 series Landcruiser towing a camper trailer.
We also plan visiting Helena Aurora Range and then eventually onto Mount Elvira.
I plan to head north east from HA Range to Kurrajong Rockhole then north for about 25 km then back west to Mt Manning Range and continuing West to the Bullfinch Evanston Road.
Have you any information on this track which Is shown on the Heama Map 1:250,000.
Cheers Craig
FollowupID: 889214

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 17:12

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 17:12
Sorry Craig, I don't have any current information on that track.

No doubt, some other Exploroz user has been along there in recent times and can chime in.

I've found that the conditions of many of these (largely unmaintained) tracks can vary substantially, according to the amount of recent rains, and the amount of recent traffic - so it's always a bit of guesswork on actual conditions on the day.

One thing I have found, it's highly advisable to carry a chainsaw - or at least a sharp axe - as trees across tracks are a pretty regular feature of bush tracks, and you can't always find a detour around them.

For this reason, it pays to keep speeds down and keep a sharp eye on the road ahead, as 9 times out of 10, downed trees are always just around a bend!

The motorcycle blokes in the link below went through the region (albeit in 2011), and took quite a few good photos that give an indication of what the tracks in the area are like.

Lake Ballard via Koolyanobbing on motorbikes

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 889215

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 19:24

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 19:24
Will be visiting Helena and Aurora Range and Elvira at end of March. The Ranger at Yigarn Shire advised a few days ago that there is no problem with the roads at the moment but could change if it rains.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 889223

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 20:25

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 20:25
Thanks Ron. Yes I had checked out some old threads and it looks possible. Chain saw an excellent suggestion. I’ll tell my wife you said it was mandatory. Sure beats an axe provided the battery is fully charged.
Cheers
FollowupID: 889226

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:43

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 10:43
Craig, Ron’s advice is spot on with one addition, if you are coming in from the east, you can also access the railway access road from as far east as Bonnievale (north of Coolgardie) or even Kalgoorlie, if you like driving on dirt roads. People say mere mortals like us aren’t allowed on it, I dunno, but I’ve never been stopped on it.

North east of H&A ranges, the track to Kurrajong rockhole is on yellow sand so is nearly always good. That track continues on NE past Currara Soak and Yowie Rock to the Diemel-Menzies rd which I enjoyed far more than those through Mt Manning which were a bit overgrown and rocky in parts, and frankly not all that scenic. Not sure why the greenies died in a ditch insisting it be a national park but they can have it for mine. You’ll get into Mt Elvire off the Diemel-Menzies Rd just the same.

One thing to be very careful of in that country is to have HEAPS of fuel as there is absolutely none north of Southern Cross until you reach either Mukinbudin in the west or Leonora or Kalgoorlie in the east. Fuel supplies in Menzies are haphazard at best and highly variable. I’ve had some very close shaves out there and have twice taken fuel out to mates out there who had run out. Also, don’t rely on fuel at Yellowdine.

There’s also an interesting track south from (or north to) Kurrajong Rockhole from the old Jaurdi Station, past the Finnerty Ranges and Yendilberrin Hills, which would be great for you to take from Wallaroo Rocks, but don’t rely on approaching H&A Ranges from the east past Mt Dimer as what looks like a fully formed and maintained shire gravel road has a mine half way along guarded by security guards from the Adolph Hitler School of Charm! You need to carry on to Kurrajong Rockhole and come in from the NE.

Enjoy your trip, it’s great country.
FollowupID: 889377

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 16:55

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 16:55
Hi Paul
Thanks for that information, now you have me rethinking my plans. If I may indulge you in a few more queries, that would be appreciated.
We enjoy the eucalyptus woodlands, salt lakes, big granite outcrops, the scenery and old mine workings but not scratchy scrub. So your comments re the Mt Manning tracks is noted.
Have you been out to Mt Elvire and is it worth the drive?
I am now thinking turn off GEH at Boorabbin ( we are coming from Perth) out to Wallaroo Rock, double back to Jaurdi then north out to KurrajongRockhole via your track, west to Helena Aurora Range then double back and head north east to Kurrajong RH, Currara Soak and Yowie rock onto the Evanston-Menzies Rd then out to the Gormley statues on Lake Ballard. May include Mt Elvire depending on your recommendation. We have done these before but the lake has always been wet /muddy so hoping it may be dry this time of year.
Would you suggest any other stops that are worth a look.
Thanks Craig

FollowupID: 889399

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 23:50

Sunday, Mar 18, 2018 at 23:50
I have not been to Mt Elvire (never had enough fuel!) but I understand it to be saltbush and mulga but nicely undulating with views over Lake Barlee with it’s labrinthine coastline.

The track north from Jaurdi has lovely big trees for the most part, so you’ll like that.

I’m trying to recall the country past Currara Rockhole and I think the eastern part has some big trees but it’s mostly sandplain and the occasional mulga. There is a nice track west from H&A past ranges and through saltbush meadows with big salmon gums or gimlets, past the old Marda minesite and town (nothing much there) which joins onto the Evanston-Diemels Rd which is a nice drive past the Die Hardy ranges and through a narrow pass in the ranges. There’s a huge fig tree at Pigeon Rocks, west of the road, if you’re there at the right time of year and like figs.

When you come to the Menzies-Diemels Rd, turn right and that will take you to both the Mt Elvire turnoff only 4 or 5 km further east or on to Menzies. If you veer left near Riverina and continue north instead of east, you’ll come to the Menzies-Sandstone rd about a mile west of the turn off into the Lake Ballard statues. The lake is pretty wet at the moment but a call to the Menzies shire (9024-2041) will give you good advice.
FollowupID: 889427

Follow Up By: Craig M1 - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 00:48

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 00:48
Hi Paul
thanks for all that great information.
Safe travels
Cheers Craig
FollowupID: 889429

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:56

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 11:56
In the "4WD Days in the Goldfields of WA" mag are quite good tips on these tracks. If you email me on paul at goldsetts com au I'll send you scans.
FollowupID: 889442

Sponsored Links