Blog Review: Central Arnhem Highway

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Great blog - the pictures say a lot about the trip. Did you have any problems travelling around Nhulumby with your dogs? We are taking our German Shepperd with us - normally a problem with National Parks.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 14:42

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 14:42
Hi Jarka

Thanks for the kind words, it is greatly appreciated.

The reason for this Blog was for the very reason you mentioned, it will give viewers an idea of what they can expect to see along the whole drive from the Stuart Highway all the way through to Nhulunbuy and the photos show exactly what the scenery is like.

The great part of that area, is it is nearly all Aboriginal Land and no National Parks, so for anyone travelling with dogs, it is not a problem and even if you stay at the Walkabout Lodge, they are not a problem there either.

The only problem that we had with the dogs was keeping them away from the water, as I was not going to give any crocodile a free lunch.

Thanks Again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617509

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:13

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 10:13
"give any crocodile a free lunch." That reminds me of over 40 years ago while staying at the Walkabout and strolling down to the beach after lunch.
I turned round real quick after seeing the biggest snake I'd ever seen amongst all the thousands of beer cans littering the beach.
And then when I got back into the bar they told me about the crocs down there as well........ :o
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 889192

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:19

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:19
You don't have a risk with the crocs there Alan...............
The snakes have cleared them all out!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 889198

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 20:59

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 20:59
Just ensure your dog does not wander off into the bush...dingos will definately kill it if they know its around. Also ensure none of the two legged variety take a liking to your dog and adopt it.
FollowupID: 889232

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 23:34

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 23:34
Hi Bigfish

I can tell you that we never let our dogs roam at all and kept them under very close surveillance and they were always close to us at all times.

I like the bit about the Two legged variety......lol

That is axactly what happened when we were stopped and Manouru for fuel and we were giving the dogs a run.

One of the Aboriginals came up to me and asked if one of the dogs was a Red Heeler, to which I replied yes.

He then went on to say that he wanted one and can he have it.

I said no and then he said, I will pay you for it, but I told him the dog was not for sale, and then he walked off.

Cheers

Stephen

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889241

Sponsored Links