Blog Comment: Nhulunbuy and Surrounding Area

Thank you - it wraps up nicely what I have read on the various websites. BTW, great photos. It seems like the number of places you are allowed to go is limited to the ones listed on the Dhimurru website - is that so? Did you meet any local Aboriginal people? I have heard both good and not so good stories about the encounters between the tourists and the communities.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 15:02

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 15:02
Hi Jarka

Thank you again for your great words, it is greatly appreciated, and yes I like to take the odd photo......lol

You are correct about where you can go, but it is not really a problem, as the General Permit covers all areas around Nhulunbuy where you can drive. As for the Special Permit areas, they keep the numbers low to keep the impact on the areas a low as possible, so again it is not a problem and if you can only get to one area, I can thoroughly recommend the Cape Arnhem drive, it was great, but keep to the high water mark and keep away from the water.

Yes we had contact with the local Aboriginal people and those that we spoke to were very friendly and helpful.

Even when we were out at Yirrkala, I asked one of the Aboriginal Elders if it was alright to take a photo of the paintings on the walls of the Sports Centre, as the last thing that I wanted to do was take a photo in full view of lots of Aboriginals.

The man was very friendly, said yes I could take a photo and then went on to tell me a story about their struggle with Land Rights, with the men in the paintings the prominent Elders that pushed for their people Land Rights.

Thanks Again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617510

Sponsored Links