Emissions and consumption results

Submitted: Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 09:59
ThreadID: 136395 Views:2001 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Recent post on mobil and 7/11 fun I have started a thread on the above.

VW has been in the news as they blatantly tinkered with the software to hide emissions. Guess I will get sued now.

This test is quite a few manufacturers that remain anonymous. As we all know, you virtually can't get the same results re fuel consumption that the manufacturers get. I must admit my road car gets very close on the highway cycle but not on the city cycle. I must admit some get better fuel consumption figures than the manufacturers when they reply to fuel consumption threads, their occupations must be in creative accounting.

Here is the link
AAA test

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 17:01

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 17:01
VW didn’t blatantly tinker with the software, they purposely and specifically wrote the software to detect when a OBD test was being conducted and the purpose written software then made the vehicle behave differently to on road performance.

What do you mean “ this test is quite a few manufacturers” ???
AnswerID: 617515

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 05:36

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 05:36
I think tinkering with the software and writing software that defeats the emission test is the same thing, that or someone is very picky.

There is what I meant and from the horses page.

• Cover a representative range of: - Manufacturers
FollowupID: 889189

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 13:21

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 13:21
It's fairly well-known, and has been a bone of contention for some time, that fuel consumption figures posted as "gospel" by manufacturers, bore no relation to real-world fuel consumption.

This was because vehicle manufacturers were allowed to set up and conduct their own fuel consumption tests, with no independent regulation, no set standards, and no supervision.

It has been reported that manufacturers went to extreme lengths to "fudge" their fuel consumption figures.

Doing things such as removing seats, pumping tyres up to tyre manufacturers maximum allowable tyre pressures, picking days with tailwinds, slackening off wheel bearings, utilising non-standard fuels, and fine-tuning engines for absolute maximum fuel efficiency, were just some of the outrageous tactics employed by devious manufacturers, to obtain unrealistic fuel consumption figures.

The manufacturers realised a lot hung on trumpeting excellent fuel economy figures - not only improved sales and a more "competitive" vehicle on offer - but with the U.S. Govt mandating ever-increasingly stricter, improved-fuel-economy standards - it was important that the vehicles being produced, could "meet" those U.S. Govt-imposed standards.

Where it all fell apart, of course, was the U.S. Govt, and other Govts, not adding mandatory, independent, real-world testing of fuel consumption levels, to ensure vehicle manufacturer honesty.

The bottom line was, that the vast majority of politicians were unwilling to "rock the boat", when it came to opposing the strident and belligerent demands of the huge (and nearly all, global) vehicle manufacturers for easing or delaying of fuel consumption and emission standards.

However, when it became obvious that tighter fuel economy and emission standards were eventually being introduced, regardless of the manufacturers lobbying and threats, it was all too easy for those manufacturers to find ways to defeat the intent of the tighter fuel economy and emissions standards.

Shared common directors between oil companies and vehicle manufacturers are another ugly and poorly-controlled feature of our corporate world.

Add in powerful politicians who have been "bought" by manufacturers and oil producers - politicians who have extensive investments in corporations involved in vehicle manufacturing and oil production - and politicians who have been threatened with local job losses (leading to their own job loss!) by vehicle manufacturers and oil producers - then all this leads to vehicle manufacturers gaining excessive power and an ability to thumb their nose at consumer demands and requirements.

With the competition introduced by Elon Musk and his Tesla, the scene is set for real competition in the vehicle marketplace - and a need for claimed battery ranges, to be independently tested and qualified!

Cheers, Ron.

AnswerID: 617529

Sponsored Links