VMS Touring 700 HDX 7 " Screen

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 20:04
ThreadID: 136391 Views:12318 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Anyone have a VMS Navigator ? How does it stack up against the latest Hema unit as an Off-road Navigator? Hema seem to have some negative opinion lately. Its about half the price of the Hema unit, it doesn't always mean its only half as good. Does it? ;) Thanks everyone, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 21:14

Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 21:14
Mate just got one and it's been returned 3 times in the space of 2 months. Every time he updates the maps it freezes so he is now using it with the maps it came with. It does seem a bit slow when scrolling but I have only used it for 10 minutes. The maps look fairly detailed.
AnswerID: 617481

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 21:20

Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 21:20
Thanks Ivan, Hopefully the issues are a one off. I did Goolgle reviews with mixed results. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 889142

Reply By: Member - Rustygq - Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:45

Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:45
Michael.
I have the hema HN7, while the off road side of it seems to be ok generally. Though there have been times tracks showed up on my mates tablet but not on my hema. However the IGo street side leaves a lot to be desired. It will send you up dead end streets and farmers driveways, the speed limit thingy disappears and comes back again according to what sort of mood its in. I wouldn't buy the Hema again, just my opinion. Couple of mates have had trouble with previous model Hemas to the point they are unusable. I dont think paying big bucks guarantees anything better.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617490

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 15:55

Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 15:55
I loved my HN6 & 7 both great units
Last December I purchased the ‘new’ HX-1 currently on my third replacement unit.
First two always showing overheating warning even in ambient of 14c and loosing GPS signal
Latest one, doesn’t show overheating warning and still looses GPS.....but not as often.
Hema have been good to deal with....keep sending me replacement units even freely offered FULL refund. Which to date I haven’t taken up.
I truely believe they are fully aware of mine and countless others similar complaints!
I am really trying to support an Aussie company that has a great name (mapping wise) but their latest HX-1 unit has continuing ANNOYING faults.....just wish they would admit this and FIX IT!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 889151

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 19:24

Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 19:24
Tony H , do mean HX 1 ?
I did have the problems mentioned w/ HX1
but after the major map up dates its working great now !!... no over heating or dropping out of GPS
re GPS dropping out : you can reset it or you can remain still & let it lock on properly > check out the web sit for this ,
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 617493

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 20:15

Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 20:15
Hi Nick

I did the major updates around December last year with no issues at all.

The other day there was an "Over Heat Update".

Today is the first day I had a full days use after both updates and it was a 36 ° day and the unit worked perfectly, never dropped out or came up with the overheat issue, so I am guessing that the firmware update the other day is a major overheat issue sorted.

Cheers

Stephen.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889154

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 21:40

Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 21:40
stephen , you might be right . My update was a complete map update took some time/long time to complete & has been working a treat since ....
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 889156

Reply By: Rob K (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 09:32

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 09:32
Hi Michael,

I have a VMS Touring HDX and took it away last weekend into the Vic High Country. Worked a treat and had no issues. Also had it on board for a Simpson Desert trip mid last year without a problem.

My observations:

1. I use OziExplorer as my preferred navigation software which is pre-installed on the unit. You just need the licence to activate the software. The only problem is, the remaining memory on the SD card is about 1GB so adding the maps I used on a previous OziExplorer device was painful - I had to delete a whole lot of maps from the VMS library to create space for my own maps. Did back up the files to the computer before deleting in case I wanted to replace them again;

2. the SD card is limited to 32GB and you can't copy the files to another SD card and insert the second SD card into the device and expect it to work. The device and included SD card are paired together for security;

3. VMS use their own maps with a unique file extension so you are limited to the maps provided by VMS on their device. Can't add other maps from other sources (see comments on OziExplorer). The range of maps may not cover the the areas you need, only covers NSW, Qld, WA and Vic so you need to check if it covers the areas you want for your travels. Also, confirm if they are detailed enough for your intended purpose?

4. the VMS device has iGO, VMS Offroad and OziExplorer software installed on it and you choose the type of navigation you need (street turn by turn or Offroad). I only use the offroad software as our vehicle comes with street maps.

For the price the VMS unit suits my needs and I can continue to use OziExplorer software which was my main reason for given it a go. I've only had the unit for about 12 months and it hasn't let me down so far.

Cheers
Rob K
AnswerID: 617520

Sponsored Links