Where will the Winton floods go ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 10:50
ThreadID: 136377 Views:7360 Replies:11 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
To the Simpson...to the sea...which way ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris N Maxine K - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 11:16

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 11:16
Most of the water will make it's way south west through the many outback river systems. A lot could end up in the dimantina or cooper creek systems and find it's way to Lake Eyre hopefully.
AnswerID: 617401

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:14

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:14
To amplify the above - the Diamantina River starts up past Kynuna (and Combo Waterhole) and flows southward to the west of Winton. The Western River flows past Winton to the south of town. It joins the Diamantina about 60 km from Winton a bit to the south of the Boulia road (Kennedy Developmental Road.)

The Diamantina does not go near the Cooper. It flows past Birdsville into Goyder Lagoon and then into the Northern end of Lake Eyre via Warburton Creek.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 889050

Reply By: gke - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 11:56

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 11:56
Hi, The rain up there goes south to the Cooper,Diamantina and Georgina, fills a lot of lakes and billabongs and any left over finds Lake Eyre. However that to the north of the Lake Eyre basin goes to the East coast and The Gulf.
Eyre Creek could affect Simpson travel this year

Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 617402

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:04

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:04
Probably more important, is how much of that Qld rain is going to get to the Darling?

I looked at the Darling catchment and it ends just west and north of Charleville. If the govts have been doing their job, the water thieves will be on notice and leave it alone.

Heh, you gotta have hope.....

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617403

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:37

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:37
There hasn't been a great deal in the Darling catchment and I'd doubt most of it will make it to the border
The Upper Condamine at Warwick has seen some decent local falls but that is a long way short of any meaningful input.
FollowupID: 889052

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:57

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:57
There has been very little rain west of the Divide around the Toowoomba area, nothing like the heavy falls east of the Divide along the coast. Just because the newshounds are making a big thing of the big falls in SE Qld this is all going east into the ocean.
FollowupID: 889054

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 22:02

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 22:02
So Bill,

What about the NSW irrigators who have been thieving water out of the Barwon River??

It is easy to blame QLD and Cubby Station but it is best to make sure your own backyard is toeing the line before shooting from the hip.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 889067

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 08:19

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 08:19
Kev...
Thats a bit like comparing a kid stealing lollies from a shop to a bloke doing a car jacking. I live in North Qld and the redneck attitude out bush is alive and well. I just hope the spineless mongrels in charge of our waters use common sense and decency and take the water thieves to the cleaners. Once again the land and the people are crapped on by the greedy corporations and rich for profit. Dont even mention land clearing..Qld outback is disappearing at a big rate.

FollowupID: 889077

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 09:33

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 09:33
Your point is a good one.

But, I didn't mention names or states. There is a lot of thieving going on and not much charging and fines.

Its about time both govts got together for a co-ordinated approach and publicize the actions they are taking.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 889079

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 13:59

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 13:59
BigFish
Off the original thread topic, but the NSW persons mentioned in the 4 Corners episode and the Goondiwindi person charged by Qld Government late last year are multi generational land owning individuals, not corporations.
Mark
FollowupID: 889089

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 14:54

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 14:54
Spotted this in the news. Just goes to show how corrupt the state govts really are (as well as the thieves involved).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-08/nsw-water-theft-barwon-darling-government-prosecuting/9527364
FollowupID: 889090

Follow Up By: Glen M3 - Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 14:58

Monday, Mar 12, 2018 at 14:58
Hi all have a look at this link. Very interesting. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1721128147938770/

A lot of noise needs to be made.

FollowupID: 889170

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:22

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 10:22
What has never made any sense to me is why Australia, a very dry continent, thinks it’s a good use of a very scarce resource (water) to grow extremely water hungry crops like rice and cotton, to export to Asia, a very wet continent!
FollowupID: 889339

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:08

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 12:08
Paul B....simple mate....GREED.
FollowupID: 889343

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 17:16

Saturday, Mar 17, 2018 at 17:16
Well, of course, one of the problems we have now (and it will get worse) is huge Chinese and other wealthy Asian countries investing in our large corporations, that are producing substantial amounts of the commodities that those nations want - such as cotton, rice, meat, dairy products, fruit and vegetables - and very soon, it will be farmed fish as well.

All these things require vast amounts of water - and the next increasing corporate action will be to tap every available underground aquifer - until they, too, are bled dry.

America has already depleted a vast amount of its underground aquifers because of over use of those aquifers (led by corporate greed) - and they aren't coming back, any time soon.

We can't expect the Chinese or any other Asians to be even remotely interested in protecting our valuable resources - they are here to plunder them, it's that simple.

I can't wait for the worm to turn, and the corporations made to respect our valuable resources, and to not plunder them purely for the benefit of people other than Australians - and plundering them purely for major financial reward to wealthy shareholders, who already have more than enough to last them several lifetimes.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 889350

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 13:44

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 13:44
The Georgina-Eyre creek catchment is largely west of Mt Isa. Mt Isa has had 270mm of rain this year so far, which is average. So at this stage the chance of water reaching the QAA Line is pretty slim I think, unless there is a whole lot more coming.

The K1 Line is a good chance to get cut off at Warburton Crossing.

Need a much bigger flood event for Cooper Creek water to get past Coongie Lakes.

Maybe a trickle will get to Lake Eyre.
AnswerID: 617404

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 16:09

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 16:09
As stated by Peter, Winton water runs into the Diamantina catchment. The Cooper catchment starts 50kms SE of Winton, on the Landsborough H'way. The Gulf catchment streams are 90-120 kms north or north-west of Winton.

The upper & western areas of the Georgina catchment have had little, or no rain this month, only 48mm at Camooweal this month, so there will only be water from the Hamilton, Wills, Burke & Mt Isa water mentioned by Phil, that will flow into the Georgina. And a lot, if not all the Isa water will flow north into Lake Moondarra, on Leichhardt River.

Due to many excellent falls in and around Winton, the Diamantina may produce a very good flood, perhaps even approaching major levels, but the possibility of this water reaching Lake Eyre is extremely remote, unless followed by more heavy falls, both in this catchment and the Georgina.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617405

Follow Up By: Member - J&A&KK - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 17:14

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 17:14
Bob

I agree. There will need to be a lot more water in the Diamantina before any gets to Lake Eyre. The water storage in the braided channels of the Diamantina is enormous, so even with high river levels, the majority is soaked up along the way.

Checked the BOM and you are correct. Major Flooding in the Diamantina now.

Cheers John
FollowupID: 889059

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 20:31

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 20:31
Hey Bob,
don't think you will be running around with those side tippies for a few weeks and then there will be plenty of work coming your way.

Tis good to see the rain and I hope the temps don't drop to get good fodder growth.

Like you said there is not enough sustained run to go near the big soak down in SA, unless there is more rain though the catchment areas. Still it is good to see the Western, Diamantina and the Mort having a good run.

Bob, one word of advise. It's a bad time to buy a water truck.

looks like, we will have more coming in our area as a certain plant that I watch is flowering again.
FollowupID: 889063

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 23:56

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 23:56
And I reckon Bob might have a bit of an idea about that part of the world.

We're getting some good rain at Ampilatwatja at the moment and possibly for the next couple of days. It's a good change from the dust that the winds have whipped up since the weekend.
I have to do a run to Alparra and back tomorrow morning to drop our manager off. She's got to get out to Alice and the plane can't land on our little dirt strip so it's off to Alparra in the morning.

Our nearest river is the Sandover and I doubt there'll be enough to get the Sandover River running. She's a dry old strip of sand most of the time.

Steve.
FollowupID: 889074

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 07:52

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 07:52
Bob,
I see the Diamantina at Elderslie station have reached major flood and Diamantina Lakes is moderate.

FollowupID: 889076

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 11:17

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 11:17
Been meaning to catch up Steve, how you going? Got a Simpson trip in mind for very late July/early Aug, working on Clayton too! :-)

Found this flood warning on Facebook, for your country & others.

Never know what might happen, eh?

Found the Flood thingy on BOM, Slow, so anxiously waiting for today's update. Was at 7.5M at Tulmur, not sure that relates to where the house is there?

"My" water truck is down at top end of Brighton Downs at the moment, along with Council grader, multi tyre & our camps. Probably be a week or ten days before we see them too.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889085

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 20:16

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 20:16
Hi Bob

All good down here in the dry country. The long range forecast for dry South Australia is no opening rain until mid May at this stage, which if happens will put a lot of farmers on edge.

What part of the Simpson are you heading for?

If you want to head around Clayton Station, I have a great friend who Manages a couple of stations further up the track and has given us access to many parts in the past.

Not sure how accurate the above map could be as most of the state is as dry as chips, with a few good recordings in a couple of places in the northern parts of the state in the APY Lands, but nothing like you are getting up there.

All the best and if things plan out, we could be up your way mid August to check out the new centre.

Take Care.

Best Regards

Stephen & Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889094

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 21:34

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 21:34
Ha ha, case of mistaken identity Stephen. Was replying to Steve, "Eighty-Matey, above.

Coming in August to see the Matilda Centre might be a wise move too. At this stage, with the opening next month, the Centre is unlikely to be completely finished. However, am sure it'll be good enough for everyone to inspect & pass judgement. Went past it this afternoon, it really is an impressive building, and will dominate that part of town.

The rain forecast for that area seems to be fading out by the weekend, so it maybe a false alarm?

Might see you later in the year?

Regards,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889096

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Mar 09, 2018 at 17:36

Friday, Mar 09, 2018 at 17:36
Hi Bob and Stephen,

I was in Winton in late Aug last year and the Waltzing Matilda Centre was starting to look great. I am itching to see the finished product. Still planning this years wanderings but preliminary planning puts me in Charleville about the 7th August. I did not have time to see the Age of Dinosaurs last year so will make it this year. I will keep in touch and maybe we can all catch up in the new Centre.

Cheers,
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889113

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 14:15

Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 14:15
That would be good, Chris, though at this point am unsure that I'll be home early Aug. More likely after mid month.

Age of Dinosaurs is certainly worth a look, and they are now sporting a bitumen road, right to top of the jump up. Wouldn't be hard to spend the best part of a day up there.

Safe travels,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889129

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 14:48

Saturday, Mar 10, 2018 at 14:48
Hi Bob,

I am not planning to be leading any group this year so my timing is flexible. I was leading a group of 9 other vehicles last year. At Winton some of the group went out to the Age of Dinosaurs but only had half a day there. I decided that I did not want to be rushed so I left it for another day. It looks that day is going to be in August this year. I did not waste my time in Winton spent a few enjoyable hours at the Tattersalls Hotel and a great counter lunch with some of my fellow travellers.
Cheers,
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889130

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2018 at 16:36

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2018 at 16:36
Stephen,

I'll be in SA by mid-May, so expect it to start raining by then, LOL. :)

FollowupID: 889258

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 14, 2018 at 18:22

Wednesday, Mar 14, 2018 at 18:22
Hi Candace

It is as dry as chips here ar the moment and no rain on the horizon , so you will be welcome with open arms if you bring the rain with you......lol

Cheers and have a great time

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889259

Reply By: Nacho - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 16:45

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2018 at 16:45
Awesome info.
Having been in the area in 09 and 12 it would be good to see water out there again.
Some of our group had Kayak's and paddled Eyre Creek in 09 and the big lake by big red in 2012.
Cheers
AnswerID: 617406

Reply By: Genny - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 09:22

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 09:22
Catchment map for Lake Eyre.

Lake Eyre catchment. (link)

Darling River catchment map.

Darling River catchment. (link)
AnswerID: 617416

Follow Up By: Genny - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 13:15

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 13:15
I see BOM shows Minor Flood Warnings for the Balonne River, Moonie River, Moderate for the Warrego River, and flood warnings for Mungallala and Warram Creeks. Those rivers all feed into the Darling, and I presume those creeks do also, so perhaps some will find its way to those in need.
FollowupID: 889087

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 09:41

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 09:41
I have found this site useful sometimes when wanting to know where a river starts and ends.
It has some other interesting features apart from rivers and creeks as well.

Bonzle

Cheers
AnswerID: 617418

Reply By: gary b21 - Friday, Mar 09, 2018 at 17:40

Friday, Mar 09, 2018 at 17:40
Using a crystal ball, how long will it take for:
1. The water going down the cooper to reach innaminka.
2. Water to get down the darling beyond Burke (assuming any gets that far).

Heading to innaminka and then the Darling river run mid may to mid june approx.
AnswerID: 617451

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 09, 2018 at 19:25

Friday, Mar 09, 2018 at 19:25
Don't know that there's a huge amount of water heading for the Cooper, Gary. There's already some local water just south of Windorah to get things going. I'm not totally up to speed with Thomson, Barcoo & Cooper system, but would suggest it would be 6-8 weeks down to Innamincka.

I'd also suggest you keep an eye on the BOM flood warnings for the Cooper, If it's a >6M flood at Windorah, then there's a shitload of water heading where you want to go.

As for the Darling, I wouldn't know, but similar time span, for similar distances. If it's as dry as they say, then flow will be slow, and water volumes with be rapidly devoured by dry waterholes and hungry soil types. Same advice as for BOM.

Just checked the Flood Warning site and the Thomson is only at moderate levels near Longreach, and Barcoo is struggling along at minor levels.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889114

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 13:20

Tuesday, Mar 13, 2018 at 13:20
I use this

LEYC
AnswerID: 617528

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 13:00

Tuesday, Mar 20, 2018 at 13:00
Here's a story from the ABC on where some of the water is flowing to.

Channel Country gets three weeks' notice of floods after rain 700km away

Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617716

Sponsored Links