Disappointed with EO Topo map updates 2018

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 15:54
ThreadID: 136272 Views:2859 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I just downloaded the new 2018 maps along with the new 144K maps.

I was a little disappointed to see little if any updates in the Victorian high country.

A good example is the Tingaringy Track & Rosendale Track. These tracks have been on 25K maps for many years, so to see the bottom section of the Tingaringy track not on the map and none of the rosendale track on the map, it appears that the latest data is not being sourced.

I note that HEMA does not have all of the tracks marked either, but they all appear on the Spatial Vision maps.

I also notice that many tracks do not have their names marked on the EO Topo maps.

I must sya I am a little disappointed with the new maps. I was hoping to see more data and more up to date data being used.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 17:45

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 17:45
G'day Zebra. How many updates did you suggest to Michelle and David? They obviously can't check out every road and track in Australia. When I noticed problems I did something about it. Previously I found the Aventure Way was way out of date so a GPS record was sent to David and it has been incorporated in the latest release. When the recent upgrades were put online before publication I let them know of problems, which were promptly fixed.
Since the new release I have been compiling a list of problems I have found.
What is the old saying, 'God helps those who help themselves'.
AnswerID: 616897

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 20:59

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 20:59
Rod, I could give David heaps of tracks, but I also use heaps of different maps i.e. Eo Topo, Hema, Westprint, Spatial Vision etc

So when I am exploring the Vic High country, if a map doesn't have the tracks I want, I switch to another map. I thought the 144K maps might have been updated to include latest track info, but this is not the case. The tracks I am referring to have been on maps for a long time - they are not new tracks. So when I looked at the 144K maps I was very disappointed as the data being used must be at least 20 years old. This is frustrating.
FollowupID: 888326

Follow Up By: OBJ - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 07:20

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 07:20
So why not just drop David an email or message instead of airing it here? They put a lot of effort into this sort of stuff. I am sure they will appreciate being advised of the "missing tracks". Rods is correct when he says that "God Helps Those etc .. ".
FollowupID: 888339

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 08:50

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 08:50
Hi Rod and OBJ

I have been sitting on the fence with this reply, but feel what your replies were to Zebra are not warranted and he was only expressing what he has found.

As a consumer, we buy a product on what we think is going to be a good purchase and trust what we have been told is correct.

We buy maps to help as an aid when travelling into areas where we have not ventured before in the hope that what we have is accurate.

I have had numerous behind the screen private emails with a couple of EO Members, with one of them being classed as a true professional in his field, who offered David his skills for free, which were rejected.

From where I see it, there is only one real way to produce accurate, up to date maps and it involves accurate field checking and then countless hours using the latest software available to cartographers to check each area.

As for the Adventure Way Rod, can I ask how accurate your data was that you supplies to David, and what was your recording rate? According to the users tracks that you have submitted, the accuracy shows as only "Low".

Why I ask this as as I have also supplied David via my user Treks this data recorded at a rate of no more than every 30 metres. Anything more than that is not accurate enough for producing accurate maps.

Zebra was only expressing his views on an area that appears to be incorrect, and the questions now will hang over other viewers, this the only place or are there others.

David and Michelle do a fantastic job, but as I have always said, if the product that is produced is not up to date, there will always be someone to point it out.
This is not going to turn into a mud slinging match, but just my personal views and there are always more behind the scenes facts that others will not be aware of.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888342

Follow Up By: OBJ - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:24

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:24
Hi Stephen.

I agree with you. My point was that it may be easier to let David know privately so that he can do something about it rather than airing it in a public forum.

Another member quite correctly brought up the issue of people whingeing and complaining in an earier forum post and I had to agree. On the few isolated occasions where I have come across something that was not quite as I would have liked it I have emailed David or Michelle directly and have never been disappointed with their response, nor their efforts to put things right.

But the modern day thing seems to be to whinge and complain and hope for a response. I like to do things quietly and with manners and some dignity. Just my way.

In closing .. thanks for all your blogs. As I mentioned to you in response to one of your blogs .. I hate you going away because every time you go somewhere I end up spending heaps to travel the same or similar tracks. You are sending me broke :)

Best wishes.
FollowupID: 888345

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 14:29

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 14:29
Hi OBJ

Well said and agree 100% with what you have just posted.

We need to get more positive feedback from members and from what is written here, is most usually the case.

We will always get a few that want to challenge others, but being human nature, it will always happen.

Thank you for the thumbs up on my Blogs, and yes we have the best country in the World to get out there and see what it has on offer. Like many people here, I just wish that we could spend a lot more time out there and this year we will be out there for 7 weeks, taking some LSL and will be heading north to visit more great places that we have not been to before. The only trouble with that....more Blogs.......LOL

Take Care and you never know, you make even see me out there on a dusty road.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888350

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 07:49

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 07:49
Old map never showed a few of highway realignments etc around here. I sent them to David and notice that these are now in the new version. Very happy with the new map and I always accept that there may be a missing or misaligned road somewhere. Never blindly accept everything and still find it my responsibility to navigate as the map is just an aid.
AnswerID: 616911

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:58

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:58
Hi Zebra

All of the data represented on a 1:25k map cannot be shown on a 1:144k map.

There are rules applied when making maps that specify what is to be shown, to what accuracy and the required symbology. So by definition there is a lot more detail shown in the larger scale(1:25k) map than the smaller scale map.

In a practical sense a 1:144k Map, attempting to show the detail of a 1:25k map, would be so cluttered it would be illegible.

From my experience the majority of topographic maps contain some errors and are out of date by the time they are published. In a country the size of Australia it is impossible to have a single topo map that would cover the country and show all the detail we need when travelling in the bush. A range of different maps is needed. Victorians are generally very well off with regularly updated 1:25k maps covering the state. It’s a massive data set.

For many of us travelling “off the beaten track” roads and tracks are one of the most important features. So locational accuracy and accessibility issues can be most frustrating when plans made, based on the maps available, cannot be realised when the map data does not match reality.

I can however understand your disappointment. It’s unfortunate that with some modern day digital map sets, that you cannot view carefully before you buy. At least with the old paper map you could open it up on the counter top and have a good look before you forked out the cash.

Cheers John

AnswerID: 616914

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 15:04

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 15:04
Holy smokes - I was blown away by the updates.

Has anyone driven through a town or major city with the app running? You now even get street level mapping on the app at full zoom.

I have sent in quite a few updates to add tracks that are not on any maps I know of, or just to help keep little used tracks open - hoping somebody will find them again.. they have all been added to the database.

Places and photos I have added are all there (eg Search for "Mundale Dome" in places...interesting spot in the middle of nowhere. It was added instantly to the online places index soon as I got back into reception - gets added to the traveller app as soon as you update the places index on the app - who else does that???

The big picture with the EOTopo maps is that we have the ability to input into their accuracy and usefulness.

Its a shame to see comments based on lack of understanding of this mapping system. Hopefully this will help...

Exploroz is a live and interactive website in itself, the EOTopo traveller map is one single fully digital map of Australia - meaning that updating it is as easy as using the data from the website. EG By users adding places, photos, your own treks, snail trails, comments and road conditions info all contribute in varying ways to the accuracy of the EOTopo maps.

The EOTopo model disrupts part of the expensive and laborious traditional map making methods by starting to creatively utilise digital technology and the web.
It is unique!

Welcome to the future of mapping…
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 616918

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 16:33

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 16:33
Kerry, I look forward to downloading them.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888356

Sponsored Links