EO 'Tut Tut' brigade - do something useful. RFDS

Submitted: Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:55
ThreadID: 136264 Views:2796 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The EO forum is very good at pointing out other people's faults, inexperience and foolish behaviour Typically it's repeating and commenting on recently reported events in the media, things like driving through floods, getting bogged at a beach, lack of preparation etc.

At a guess, going by the posts and comments, the average EO poster seems 50 plus and totally risk adverse. So, other than Tut Tuting, I wonder why this is such a popular forum to point out what people should have done in a situation when events hit the media. The emergency services seem to do a pretty good job communicating what not to do in the general media, where younger and less experienced travellers will get the message. Here, it's just like a race to get the news in and comment negatively on the people's actions. It's no where near as common or critical on other forums.

Maybe it's just me ( again) but haven't we had enough of doing nothing other than just making negative comments about what people should have done, when we are thousands of miles away with zero knowledge of how events really panned out?

I propose a RFDS tax of $20 for every poster who starts a thread about floods, remote rescues etc, rollovers and a $10 for every subsequent post or follow up. EO could make it a click button to assist this.

That way the complaining could actually do so good for people caught in these remote situations. BTW I thought I should put my money where my mouth is. Above my normal donations,eI just donated $30 for this post. Reciept no 81712x

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Grant L - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 14:56

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 14:56
YES here here
AnswerID: 616863

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 23:12

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 23:12
hear hear!!!!!!
p.s. no donation to RFDS
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888291

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 15:45

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 15:45
I’m a big fan of supporting and garnering support for the marvelous RFDS to help fund and support the work they do in our Outback communities.

As an aside, I’m also 50+ and anything but risk averse, having been a great student of risk management for my working life.

But personally, I think when you try to influence people’s behavior by “taking some sort of stick to them” it rarely works. People need to want to change, and if they don’t, I just find it easier to move on.

Mind you, it is a novel idea, although there is a possibility some might go broke in the process, albeit to the benefit of the RFDS (tongue firmly-in-cheek).

Good luck with it.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 616865

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 19:09

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 19:09
oh gee thank god I'm below average - I thought I was normal lol

Boobook - nice thought, however people will say what they want to say. Perhaps others should go the other way and say more positive things to counter the negative arguments...

RFDS - good sorts they saved my arse once.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616872

Follow Up By: Genny - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 22:01

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 22:01
Egad! There's that word again! :)
FollowupID: 888288

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 18:28

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 18:28
I do something very useful now, as regards the RFDS and other charities and community groups.

Because LotteryWest is owned by the W.A. Govt, I buy a swag of LotteryWest tickets every week.

Not only because I like a little win, now and then - but because a sizeable portion of my Lotto monies goes into community projects - including the RFDS.

In fact, just one single LotteryWest grant of $3,000,000 (yes, that's right, $3M) bought the RFDS a new hangar.
Other LotteryWest grants have helped finance new RFDS aircraft.

In fact, LotteryWest gave away, no less than $265,000,000 in grants, just in the last financial year alone!!

Compare that with your hungry TattsLotto-run lottery systems of the Eastern States - where your Lotto monies go to make already-rich Tatts shareholders, a lot richer - and where your communities can go whistle.

I also support Bendigo Bank for the same reason - sizeable and regular community grants for worthy projects.

So I don't feel the need to contribute any more - I'm doing my bit now, thanks very much Boobook. But thanks for pushing the RFDS barrow, it's certainly a worthy organisation.

Cheers, Ron.

http://www.lotterywest.wa.gov.au/grants
AnswerID: 616898

Sponsored Links