SHP.....Missing Doug

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 19:54
ThreadID: 136260 Views:3116 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I, along with many others (I hope) miss the once regular SHP (Sunday History Photo).
Understanding that Doug and EO had to stop publication of this regular feature, due to copyright and other issues!
BUT where is Doug T now???.....haven’t heard from him in ‘yonks’....trusting your well and happy!
Cheers and beers
Tony H
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 20:03

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 20:03
Yes, me too.
AnswerID: 616828

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 20:13

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 20:13
I was looking through some old archived posts a few days ago and realised how many of the original and seasoned members are missing these days.Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616830

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 20:34

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 20:34
Definitely NOT try to go OT from my post.......
But I think there is is a flow towards Facebook type sites these days, rather than established forum sites??
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 888262

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 00:32

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 00:32
I believe Doug was living at Mt Bundy for an extended period, but has now moved down to Orange, where he still appears to be alive and kicking.

Tony - The most recent action on Dougs behalf that I can find, is him posting videos to YouTube.
I know it's the real Doug, because of his major love affair with Andrea Berg! LOL

Although it does appear he's picked up a new squeeze in recent times.

On his YouTube account, there's a video of Doug doing a tour around Orange in a Tiger Moth, from Dec 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/user/B24JLiberator/videos

One of the problems with Dougs SHP was the sheer amount of text and photos he just "cut and pasted" from other sites, to make up his SHP.

The vast majority of people don't take too kindly to their words and photos being re-used without permission, without acknowledgement, and without their knowledge.

Copyright law is quite strong and extends to the whole of the Internet. It's not "open slather" to steal other peoples images and text off the 'net, despite many "operators" thinking its O.K.

Funnily enough, Doug is a retired truckie - and I've found truckies are the worst, when it comes to "swiping" other people images and information off the 'net, without any credit or acknowledgement or permission!

One truckie in Wantirna with a very large trucking website, is a persistent offender in this regard, and I'm quite surprised he hasn't been sued.

To supply a Sunday History item properly (and legally) would mean the entire text would need to be written up by the person posting, and any images used would need the permission of the photo owners, and acknowledgement given for those photos.

I think that amount of work is way beyond most peoples desire or ability, particularly as there's no financial reward for that amount of work, on a forum such as this.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 616838

Follow Up By: mike39 - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:10

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:10
Maybe the Wantirna truckie is smart enough not to have any assets in his own name.
There are plenty of high risk business operators who protect themselves in this manner.
mike
FollowupID: 888266

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:13

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:13
Just plagiarised this from the above person.

I've found truckies are the worst, when it comes to "swiping" other people images and information off the 'net, without any credit or acknowledgement or permission!

What a load of crap. Journalists would have to be near the top of the tree.
FollowupID: 888270

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:37

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:37
Actually its VERY VERY difficult to be sued for 'copyright' once its posted on the net UNLESS specifically stated the photo or article was 'copyright ' protected to begin with .....
FollowupID: 888294

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:20

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:20
Alloy c/t - Not true. If someone takes your photo off the 'net, and uses it to promote their product or make money from it, you can sue them and win substantial damages, because you have been deprived of income from your photographic work.

If someone takes your work and satirises it without your permission - or deeply offends you with its re-use - you're quite within your rights to sue and win compensation.

There is no need to mark photos and text as copyright - copyright is automatically allocated to your photos or text, when it is produced by you.

The word "copyright" is only added to photos and text to ensure that those intending to "borrow" the work, are adequately warned that the owner jealously guards their copyright entitlements.

American copyright laws (which will be used against you, even in Australia) - https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

Australian copyright laws - https://www.copyright.org.au/acc_prod/ACC/Information_Sheets/An_Introduction_to_Copyright_in_Australia.aspx

There is an allowance in copyright law for "fair use" of text from an article, or photo use, if it's for discussion or educational use.

Generally, a few lines or paragraphs copied and re-posted for discussion and education - up to around 10% of the article - is the recognised "allowance for fair use", before the copyright issue arises.

There's quite a number of people who don't really care about others re-using their photos or text - that is, until they find out they're missing out on earnings garnered by other people, for using their work.

About then, they suddenly become aware of the reasons for copyright laws, and the wider issues associated with them.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 888295

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:32

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:32
9900Eagle - You didn't "plagiarise" sentences from my post - to "plagiarise" is to copy someones work, and then pass it off as your own.

What you did, was "quote" from my post. There's a very substantial difference in meaning, between "plagiarise" and "quote".

Journalists are very aware of the breadth of copyright laws and defamation laws - much more so than truckies.

What journalists do indulge in, is breathless, outrageous, demeaning, attention-grabbing wording and text, to draw readers in - because they are trained to draw up articles to get readers attention.

The precise truth and actual sequence of events usually comes a little lower in the order of importance in journalists work.

Thus, when an aircraft incident occurs, the journalists immediately trot out the old hoary lines - "Aircraft In Near-Disaster", "Passengers Screaming In Fear", "I Thought I Was Going To Die" - while the reasons for the incident (usually minor) are relegated to a sentence near the bottom of the text.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 888296

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 14:50

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 14:50
I tried to sell your work for profit about truck drivers Ron, but all of the bidders came back with, this is crap.

I still state jurno's and some academics are the worst for plagiarising material, not as you state truck drivers. That is just plain bollocks.
FollowupID: 888303

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 09:12

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 09:12
Bring back Sunday History Photo
Cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 616845

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:24

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:24
Tony, I think Doug still volunteers as a presenter at FM 107.5 Orange, Wednesday afternoons
AnswerID: 616847

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 17:09

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 17:09
You are spot on there...Weds arvos from 3 to 5 with Rockabilly Rave.....and Satdy mornins from 9 to 12 with Doug,s Selections...on 107.5 FM....which can be picked up on the net too.
I usually try to have lunch with him after his show on Satdys.
He has posted a fair few shots of the currant Mt Canobolas fire today.....mostly about the types of planes being used.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 888283

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:26

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:26
I miss Doug and his regular writeups. Doug I hope youre doing well.

I'm probaly guilty of not contributing of late. I'm finding as I get older I'm spending heaps more time at the 'Vet' gettting bits or 'rust' that are creeping creeping in here and there sorted, this is slowing me down a bit.

What I've noticed is facebook is used more and more nowadays. From my perspective info posted there tends to be difficult to find and revisit, its much easier in a forum such as this.

Our younger folk, god bless them, prefer FB. As that side of comms between us develops I hope we don't lose more and more columns such as Doug's.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616848

Follow Up By: Pushy - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:27

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:27
Phil B, just shows how behind the times us old blokes are.

My kids informed me that fb is old hat and for old people. The young ones use Snapchat, Instagram and the like.
FollowupID: 888346

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 13:21

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 13:21
I'm still using Australia Post.
The lady at the Post Office is very patient and helps me to choose from the nice range of stamp designs.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888349

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 15:37

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 15:37
Phil, sorry to hear you've been "under the knife". I trust you're recovering O.K.
I hate the very thought of scalpels, but I've had to get "carved up" recently, too.
It's a bugger getting old.

Re mail - I'm guessing it won't be long before mail is a rare "premium product", and you'll be forced to pay a "premium price".

I do feel for the older folk who have been left behind technologically.
My old Italian neighbour Barney (he's 86 and very fit), is struggling to understand smartphones, computers, and the shrinking amount of mail he gets.

He owns nothing more technological than a TV and a landline, and doesn't want to learn about "computer stuff".

What's worse, is the move to charge you extra for getting bills and statements by mail. Barney is going to be griping about that extra cost, soon.

I'm fortunate as an "oldie" to have got into computers in 1998 when Windows 98 was released.
I'm fortunate enough to have learnt enough, to build my own computers, and fix them, too.

But what I have found, is my handwriting skills started to go backwards, when I started to use computers and keyboards extensively.

To that end, I've gone back to a handwritten daily diary, to keep up my handwriting skills - and to provide a record that doesn't suffer from electronic failure and data loss!

Cheers, Ron
FollowupID: 888353

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 15:43

Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018 at 15:43
Stock up on pencils Ron. They may become scarce and expensive in time.

One very good thing about handwriting.... there is no nagging Spellchecker.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888355

Sponsored Links