Darling river rd western side

Hi to all, going down Darling river rd western side next week, would like to know road condition , yes realise it might change if rain , have done eastern side, have a Kedron off road van, well prepared Nissan patrol, 2 Labradors and a navigator , have off road experience ,will be free camping, anyone with recent knowledge would be appreciated . Thanks peter & Lynore & 2 labs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 06:51

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 06:51
The road will be closed after very little rain. There are large sections of black soil. Mostly the western side is decent dirt road. The last 40 odd kms onto the Bourke/Wanaaring rd are the most corrugated. I drove it in July last year.
AnswerID: 616774

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 06:38

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 06:38
There are some great Station Stays along that road.Places where you meet the owners, are able to drive around their properties are given maps and information and in some cases have access to the history of the station, the infrastructure and the day to day running of the places. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 616791

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 13:58

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 13:58
Nice plug by the way !!!

He said he was free camping.......but, you never know.....you might change his mind !!
FollowupID: 888239

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 14:17

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 14:17
I'm a business member :) and I wasn't even plugging our place! Seriously there are some very good options to free camping and they are not particularly costly. Cheers Toni
FollowupID: 888241

Reply By: Member - Jeff 150 - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 10:04

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 10:04
Went down that side last May but on my motor bike. The road was fine for a van. There are some good station stays as the previous member said but more options for free camps an the other side which I did in July with my camper. You will enjoy either side and the roads were about the same on both.
AnswerID: 616809

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 00:11

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 00:11
We went from Bourke on the south east side to Louth then crossed to the north west to Wilcannia in August last year. Good until we hit the Central Darling (Wilcannia Shire) and their roads were all awful.

Otherwise the main difference was the many grids than we needed to slow right down to cross.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616926

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 11:43

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 11:43
Possibly passed you on that section. We asked a couple of locals in Wilcannia which side was in better nick. Both were being hammered by stock transport, not much to pick. We did Wilcannia to Tilpa on the NW side then crossed to SE side to Louth and Bourke. The first part out of Wilcannia was single-vehicle, stony as all get-out and I had concern for our tyres (the best part of that bit was that we were leaving Wilcannia - not on my list of favourite towns.)

After Tilpa there were a couple of small bridges with newish topping about 5" above the road surface, not evident until you were right on them (ouch!) - like a grid from hell. From Louth up it had rained and the latter stages (~20k out of Bourke) were about 2"-3" of slurry. On a dry road that would have been a billiard table.
FollowupID: 888375

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:59

Thursday, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:59
Not roads I would travel on after rain Zippo, either side. We had been Bourke to Wilcannia on the south east side some years before and at that time found it a very good clay road.

As far as we travelled this side (Bourke to Louth) last year was much wider that in 2004.

Both times we were towing the same caravan.

We were there 28th - 30th August last year, travelling most of it on the 30th. It was very dry all that month and the next. Travelling the area in winter was a risk, and we were the lucky ones with no wet days. The farmers not so lucky.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888379

Sponsored Links