Travelling to the Cape in very early April with camper trailer.

I have not posted in a while and have done a bit of searching of the threads but wanting up to date info as to wheather anyone has travelled to the Cape in early April in recent years and whether they think the roads would be open and if not alternate routes etc.

I have a 2007 petrol Prado with 2" lift and am considering whether or not to tow an offroad camper behind. I am feeling that it will be a lot easier not to take one.

If this is not a trip someone might suggest what other tracks (departing from Brisbane) would one suggest at that time of year. Fishing would be good along the way.

Thanks guys.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 16:43
Re the first part of your question, when you searched the threads you would have seen this one
cape york - Submitted: Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 06:06
ThreadID: 136111

AnswerID: 616316

Reply By: Tony F8 - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 18:34

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 18:34
I might be able to give you some info, I've been up 40 odd times since the late 80's, April is not a good month to head up the Cape, most national parks will be closed and the rivers will definitely be up, the water is 2.4m over the causeway at Archer River atm, and the monsoons have started up here, if you can leave it a month and head up late May you will have a better chance of enjoying the Cape. Last year Nolans brook claimed 74 vehicles, in saying that, a lot of them could be put down to driver inexpirience. My preferred time is late May as Lakefield will be generally open by then, and so will others. It does seem we are going to have a fair bit of rain this year as compared to last year. I'm not trying to scaremonger, but just offer advice. Btw its around $8k to get your vehicle off the Cape if you should come to grief. Please don't hesitate to ask me any further questions as I am willing to pass on any info that may help you plan your trip.
AnswerID: 616317

Follow Up By: charlie - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 21:23

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 21:23
Thanks a lot. I thought it would definately be pushing it. Good advice. I is great to get an opinnion from someone so experienced on the Cape.

I have wanted to go for th last 20 years but circumstances haven't allowed. I will try and rearrange for late May.

Cheers,

Charlie.
FollowupID: 887661

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 19:33

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 19:33
We've just spent last weekend in Cairns, and came home via Atherton Tablelands, on Kennedy & Hann Highways.

I feel you could spend quite a lot of time around this area, fishing, touring, eating, walking and.......well, you get the idea. 3 years ago we camped at Granite Gorge for a few days, and to celebrate someone's birthday, we travelled around Mareeba & Atherton, visiting a cheese 'n chocolate factory, Tolga Pub for a counter, Tolga Woodworks, a distillery, a second distillery, then a third(HIC!) & finally, Coffee Works in Mareeba.

Lake Tinaroo, Cobbold Gorge, Lava Tubes, Mt Mulligan, Kingsborough, and a refreshing, cold drink in the smallest bar, probably in the world, at the roadhouse at The Lynd.

Plenty to do and you haven't even got to the Cape yet.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616318

Follow Up By: charlie - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 21:24
Nice. Sounds like plenty to do and err.... consume!
FollowupID: 887662

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018 at 20:43
You missed out bird watching (can't eat the buggers, though!). Fantastic area for this .

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 887694

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 25, 2018 at 06:42

Thursday, Jan 25, 2018 at 06:42
Some years back, we had breakfast with the birds, at a place where Port Douglas road turns off the Cairns-Mossman highway. Don't recall the venue's proper name?

Heaps of birds of all types, even a very cranky Jabiru, and many flew down to share one's breakfast. Great experience, but I was a little wary that might end up with some extra garnish in my muesli or bacon' eggs!

Did see a Pheasant Coucal dart across the bitumen, between Atherton & Ravenshoe, on our recent trip.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 887701

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 19:59
In 2013 I did the Cape towing a Camper Trailer and there were other vehicles doing the same. I would have reservations about doing it in April. It would still be very wet with the rivers up. Better to do it after the run off.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616320

Reply By: birdnerd - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 21:34
Hi Charlie, we have been to Cape York twice and taken our off road camper trailer both times with no problems, would have been more of a pain without it! We did the Develomnetal Road, not the OTT. Have a great trip!
Amanda
AnswerID: 616326

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:20
Time of year Amanda?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 887670

Follow Up By: birdnerd - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:36

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:36
Hi Motherhen, we did it both times in mid June & July.
FollowupID: 887678

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:30
G`day Charlie,
I towed my caravan to the car park at the Tip of the Cape July 2011 with my 60 series L/cruiser, but I went via the good road not the old telegraph track. There were 32 vehicles at Barmaga waiting to be transported by ship back to Cairns as they were damaged so bad they could no longer be driven. There were plenty of others that were damaged but still driveable.
I have no sympathy for those that deliberately risk writing off their vehicle on the old telegraph track creek and river crossings just for the hell of it.
If possible Charlie try and avoid school holiday times, a lot of travelers at these times are trying to squeeze everything into just a couple of weeks and drive like maniacs.
I got fish at Weipa , Mapoon , Wenlock River and Seisia.

Whenever you do it enjoy it.

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 616330

Follow Up By: mountainman - Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018 at 20:25

Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018 at 20:25
Your kidding me arent you ?
Thats a pretty stupid comment that people would drive 3-4000km to just " deliberately risk " writing off their car.
You seriously think....... people would drive that far, most on a month or even 6week holiday to just deliberately risk doing that.
You seem to forget the thousands of 4wds that go through without any issues.

Nature of the beast there will always be some vehicles get writen off.
Let alone geeeeeees vehicle breakdowns..or a flat tyre
Heaven forbid that !!!

You also seem to forget the cowboys traveling at high speeds on the dirt traveling with or without camper trailers with no regard to road users in either direction. ....having head on accidents or some enough to permanently disable the 4wd on their holiday.

No one drives on holidays with family or friends to such a far away place to just deliberately risk their vehicle
Let alone the 5grand recovery towing fees that is the minimum in some of those creeks

FollowupID: 887689

Follow Up By: mynance - Thursday, Jan 25, 2018 at 07:38

Thursday, Jan 25, 2018 at 07:38
I have seen videos of people on Facebook doing just that!
Water pouring out doors of 200 Series Cruisers, then claiming insurance for a write off.
Insurance should not cover stupidity! That's why our premiums go up.

Myles
FollowupID: 887703

Sponsored Links