The camper trailer bbq dilemma

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 22:57
ThreadID: 136116 Views:6959 Replies:11 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I currently have the 3-burner Coleman stove with the hotplate. It works well, in theory, in that it can boil a kettle, do flat plate cooking, and fold up reasonably compact. In practice, the temp control doesn't work (way too hot and turns itself up after manually turned down), the hot plate warps (no longer a flat plate), and the latch on the cover is not particularly robust (comes open).

Yet I am struggling to find an alternative. Gasmate (cruiser is discontinued), Voyager looks a bit crap, and the everdure neo buddy also looks a bit crap (ie flimsy).

I use a Weber Baby Q at home, and love it, but it's too big for our camping setup.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The current one I'm considering is the gasmate Hot Ozi. It would handle most of my needs (on paper), but I have no idea how well it really cooks, and I would prefer if it had a lid.

Any helpful suggestions ?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 23:08

Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 23:08
Sovereign BBQ?
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616187

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:34

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:34
As you might have guessed, we have a Sovereign in our Kimberley Karavan. As a BBQ we found the clean-up too difficult so we "grill" on a cast iron pan with ribs - is that a griddle? - over a wok burner.

We use the Sovereign as an oven and use it a lot. We use the solid plate as a heat diffuser with a heavy wire trivet on top of that for further diffusion and cook in foil roasting trays.

This is ideal for our Karavan setup but admittedly may be not so good for back of the ute kind of thing.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887480

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 00:06

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 00:06
I think the one Kimberly use is similar to what Frank suggested on their Karavan, they also use a cut down baby webber or Ziggy can't remember which.

We have been looking at something that will do roasts for our Vista, we looked at the Ziggy but it is to big for the locker we had in mind to store it in, and the weight is a factor. We are presently investigating one of the marine kettle BBQ as they are smaller than the Ziggy and weigh a lot less.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616189

Follow Up By: Hewy54 - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 07:14

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 07:14
Hey HKB.
What locker were you trying to put it in?
We keep ours in the large drivers side locker and it fits really well. The Q is too high to fit.
FollowupID: 887474

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:52

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:52
Hi Hewy54,

Read that on the Vista site I believe:) Unfortunately no room in that locker, we store or camp chairs and table in there. Other option is the front locker but that is harder to access with the stone guard and stone stomper and you usually get covered in dust getting into there, plus we stored our porta potti and chain saw in that one though have now moved the porta potti to one of the side lockers so front locker is now an option. The marine kettles though are a lot more compact and light so will investigate them before making a decision.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 887477

Follow Up By: Hewy54 - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:14

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:14
We just put a picnic rug on the bed and put our camp chairs and table on the bed to free up the side locker. We figure we have to get these things out at every set up so is easier to just hand them out through the door.
FollowupID: 887479

Reply By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 06:43

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 06:43
Check out Sizzler deluxe BBQ marine S/Steel made in NSW
Removable plate , optional cooking rack a must , we do roasts, bread etc.
It covers all methods of cooking as well as boiling the kettle. Works for us
Had ours for 3 years easy to clean.
AnswerID: 616192

Follow Up By: dirvine - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 08:08

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 08:08
Another vote for a sizzler. I have one on my caravan. I thought about taking my webber when we went away. Glad i didn't. Webbers dont like wind. Sizzler handle wind as designed for marine use. They really pump out the heat. Just make sure you get all the accessories as the basic plate supplied does not like long exposure to heat. Ie get a SS roasting tray and a grate that goes over the burners so the tray can sit on it and the sizzler becomes a oven.
FollowupID: 887475

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:15

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:15
I have a great way to save space with a Baby Q or Webber Q.

Put them in the boot of your car.
Then drive to your nearest rubbish tip.
When you get there throw the bloody thing as far as your can.

3 - 5 cubic feet will be available for useful camping items now.

I get that you need to cook over petrol ( err I mean LPG) at times, but it should be a last resort. A fold up firepit with charcoal cooks food much nicer, takes up less space and believe it or not is less messy.

The shape of a webber is cosmetic to look cool. If you must get a LPG oven for camping / caravan get one that is a rectangle, taking up as little space as possble and used as little as possible.

Webbers errgh - another overpriced yuppie rip off.

Though I must admit they are a good solution for Apartment balconies where appearance and pre cooking preparation times are the most critical factors.
AnswerID: 616196

Follow Up By: Craig H4 - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 15:30

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 15:30
Ummmm yup ok.
FollowupID: 887491

Reply By: qldcamper - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:24

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 09:24
never owned a Q then huh.
AnswerID: 616197

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:51

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:51
Some interesting comments above!
Unfortunately, it is largely a matter of compromise.
I also have a two burner Coleman cooker with hotplate I still use on occasion, but required a device that could also double as an oven when required. This means a BBQ with a good cover to retain heat.
My Camper doesn't have a built-in oven and I prefer to do all cooking outside anyway.
I have tried a Gasemate Cruiser (still have it in the shed) but the lid was too light a gauge to retain heat for effecting roasting and baking.
I settled on the Ziggy portable BBQ. This is reasonably compact while still being big enough to cook for 6 and the domed lid folds underneath the body, reducing the height for storage.
Yes, the cast iron grill makes the unit on the heavy side but again, this is a compromise one must make if grilling is required. The Ziggy has accessories such as dual reversible cast aluminium half hotplates and can be used in place of the cast iron grill if desired. (The grill can be left home if weight is an issue.)
I just make room for my Ziggy in the back tub of my vehicle, or place on the floor of the camper while travelling, contained in its padded carry bag.
One big advantage of this type of BBQ is that you can use a bayonet style connection hose to run it off the camper Gas bottles using the camper's gas regulator.
All up, we love our Ziggy.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 616203

Follow Up By: mountainman - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:27

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:27
Get yourself a travel buddy oven
Youll never look back
FollowupID: 887512

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 09:16

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 09:16
Mountainman,

The Travel Buddy is solely an oven and therefore restricted to that use.
Also, I'd rather keep my 12v supply for the fridges, one in the vehicle and one in the Camper.
I'm of the opinion that the Ziggy or BabyQ BBQ options are the most flexible devices for multiple style cooking. You just need to allocate the necessary space to store them while travelling.
I've been through the whole gamut of camping appliances including camp ovens and have now settled on an LPG fueled BBQ as my preferred choice for flexibility, speed of setup and consistent results.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 887514

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:25

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:25
Hi Miko, What materiel is the hot plate made from? If steel or aluminium, yes they will warp. If weight is not a problem, try a cast iron plate. They can be bought in various sizes from most BBQ outlets including Bunnings.

I guess I am fortunate that I can store my baby Q in the front boot locker on my Caravan. However, I only use this on days of Total Fire Ban, or when in a Caravan Park, or when it is raining. We mostly cook outside on a wood fired BBQ that we carry strapped on top of the storage box located on the draw bar.

Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616206

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 19:23

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 19:23
" I only use this on days of Total Fire Ban"

Caravans are not defined as places allowing use of gas cooking on days of Total Fire Ban, in most states, unless in Council permitted park or picnic area.

From CFS (SA) fact sheet:

"Gas or electric barbecues may be used on Total Fire Ban Days:
• Within 15 metres of domestic premises *, or
• On a coastal foreshore"

"*“domestic premises” means a building or other structure that is fixed to the ground and connected to a
reticulated or stored water supply and that is occupied as a place of residence but does not include a
caravan."
FollowupID: 887501

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 08:52

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 08:52
Thanks Silkwood, I never knew that! :)
FollowupID: 887513

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 14:43

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 14:43
Macca, You put that lot on your drawbar? Hell, what is the weight on your towball? lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887536

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 17:03

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 17:03
Same for me with the caravan and fire ban days silkwood.
I hadn't really thought about it.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 887542

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:41

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 08:41
Allan B, the ball weight is approx. 290 kgs. This varies a little depending on the weight of the gas bottles.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 887559

Reply By: mountainman - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:36

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:36
Primus high output 2burner stove
I had to live in a house with no kitchen
And used this thing to cook dinner
Boil the dish washing water
And give me a hot shower
The burners are 10,000 btu
And i got about 6weeks out of a 9kg bottle
Thats cooking
Shower water and dish water for 6weeks
Handles a big pot and fry pan fine.
I have used this soo much
I LOVE IT
its one of the dearest stoves going around
But has a stainless plate under the burners that make it soo easy to keep clean
Like youd be able to keep it in new condition for years
Cant recommend this stove enough
About 180 at BCF
It has never let me down
And still looks great now
The 10,000 btu burners heat UP FAST
so boiling water is fast like a 15ltr pot in no time
Primus 2 burner high output stove
Take a look

Ooh and a travel buddy oven

Both of these would be all you would need for cooking
AnswerID: 616227

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 10:36

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 10:36
"I use a Weber Baby Q at home, and love it, but it's too big for our camping setup"
Rather than leave Baby Q at home suggest you change your camper setup. :)
Dave.
AnswerID: 616233

Reply By: Member - kev.h - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 13:47

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 13:47
Google Swift 518 DS its a two burner stove with BBQ plate very happy with ours compact and can be fitted as a slide out if required
AnswerID: 616241

Reply By: miko1974 - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 09:44
Hi all. Thanks for all the replies. All the suggestions made sure I didn't miss any alternatives I think. I ended up going with a Masport Raglan, and a Primus single burner butane stove for the kettle. The Raglan seems pretty well made (10 year warranty on the body) and is nice and compact. Hopefully it is fit for purpose.
AnswerID: 616255

Follow Up By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 19:33

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 19:33
Hi miko1974,
Just a heads up with those butane stoves, the canisters don't like getting cold.
I used one on our Canning trip and as you might know it gets a bit cool out that way over night.
It took ages for the canister to warm up to boil the kettle for that first cuppa in the morning.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

FollowupID: 887603

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 23:49

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 23:49
This is what I did during our Simpson Geocentre Trip last year. When it's -1° or -3° In the morning, and you need a mug of "43 Beans", I alternated 2 cylinders until the water was hot enough for a brew and washing up.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887607

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 00:18

Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 00:18
I put the cylinder in a sock and put it in the swag with me...

Potentialy not quite as exciting though!

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 887609

Sponsored Links